Coopers Community

Autolysis affected beer, is its safe?

worry wort

Hey brains trust, 

just had my first issue with 'vegemite beer'. Coopers Real Ale, 1.5kg malt extract and 200g Dextrose. After 6 days I took an SG reading, and I always sample the brew at each reading stage. No real off-aroma, but it had a definite vegemite taste. Bottled yesterday (10 days sg 1.010), took the lid off the fermenter and there was a sort of film of swollen brown 'things' on the top, which I took to be the affected yeast cells, so after researching here it all points to autolysis. I bottled anyway, but now wondering if the beer is ok to drink?

• Like 1

it wasn't overpowering, just a sort of 'here i am' taste,  and as I have 8 batches going, by brews are usually 4-5 months before they're on centre stage, so I'm kind of hoping the aging process will 'soften' the taste, but just wasn't sure if there were any bad side-affects. I haven't read of any, but noone actually stated if they in fact saw it through 2nd fermentation to the point of drinking it.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a flavour that ages out of beer given what causes it. It's your choice if you want to keep it but personally I'd have tipped it without even bottling it. I did that with a batch a couple of years ago that tasted off, no point suffering through something you don't like. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, worry wort said:

I have 8 batches going, by brews are usually 4-5 months before they're on centre stage,

Do you really wait 4-5 months before drinking your brews!!!!

If you do, well done, I'd be lucky to have mine in the bottle for 4 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, worry wort said:

it wasn't overpowering, just a sort of 'here i am' taste,  and as I have 8 batches going, by brews are usually 4-5 months before they're on centre stage, so I'm kind of hoping the aging process will 'soften' the taste, but just wasn't sure if there were any bad side-affects. I haven't read of any, but noone actually stated if they in fact saw it through 2nd fermentation to the point of drinking it.

Give it 2 or 3 weeks in the bottle then taste it, then u will know whether to keep or chuck it. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

autolysis, what causes that?

Yeast cells dying. The cell walls rupture and all the innards wind up in the beer. Hence why it is unlikely to age out.

I once microwaved some yeast in order to do an experiment, the smell coming from that was horrid. If it tastes anything like that good luck drinking it 😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, worry wort said:

wondering if the beer is ok to drink

Ok - maybe?
safe - yes, for sure.

39 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

autolysis, what causes that?

Many causes may be cited for autolysis, not least simple old age. However, poor handling of yeast and beer will accelerate autolysis. Common examples are high temperatures, particularly above 25°C, or sudden changes in temperature at pitching or at chilling, and osmotic shock where yeast is pitched into high gravity worts. Some yeast strains may be inherently sensitive to conditions such as high alcohol, high carbonation, and high acidity and autolyse faster than others. In other conditions extensive re-pitching of yeast from batch to batch may create stress, as can the presence of contaminants including lactic acid bacteria and other yeast species.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 7:17 PM, DavidM said:

Do you really wait 4-5 months before drinking your brews!!!!

If you do, well done, I'd be lucky to have mine in the bottle for 4 weeks.

hahha, it took some time, but with 8 batchs, and I only drink 4 nights a week, maybe 5 months is a stretch, but certainly 4 months would be the average age

• Like 1

I also have 8 batches. 4 or 5 months for me too.

Also have 1 additional batch of stout. Could take over 12 months for me to drink that. Start drinking at about 6 Months, just have a couple of stubbies every now and again. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Ok, so after 3+months in the bottle, I have worked my way to this batch, and its great. Good head retention, krausen lined glass, clear, no odour and good taste, so there you go, time solved the issue this time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, worry wort said:

Ok, so after 3+months in the bottle, I have worked my way to this batch, and its great. Good head retention, krausen lined glass, clear, no odour and good taste, so there you go, time solved the issue this time.

Well, there u go. Great result, even if not expected.

• Like 2