Coopers Community

Star san

davids47

Just getting back into home brewing , and want some info on starsan

when doing bottles,if I make up say 500mm of solution and pore that from bottle to bottle making sure every thing has had solution over it, will that work ok to sanitise them, if so what is the wait time before bottling. Going to be using pet bottles, 

Also what is life span of a pet bottle and cap

51 minutes ago, davids47 said:

Just getting back into home brewing , and want some info on starsan

when doing bottles,if I make up say 500mm of solution and pore that from bottle to bottle making sure every thing has had solution over it, will that work ok to sanitise them, if so what is the wait time before bottling. Going to be using pet bottles, 

Also what is life span of a pet bottle and cap

Star san can be used over and over but does weaken over time. Put the caps on your bottles with the star san obviously in the bottle, give it a good swirl, make sure it comes into contact with the caps too.

Drain upside down for 20 - 30 minutes as a rough guide. 

Caps can do quite a few brews, more experienced bottlers here will know how many.

• Like 3

the good thing about star san it no rinse sanitiser

starsan will last you months and can be reused several times      you will know when starsan loses its edge as the liquid will become murky colour

a little bit of starsan goes along away

Pale Man method is what i do

and dont fear the foam

• Like 2

I have about 7 fermenters, Coopers/MJ/Ambi & also the Craft kit, when some of them aren't in use I use them for storing sanitiser after I have used it for cleaning the equipment.

This way when I am ready to bottle I grab an FV containing sanitiser & pour the contents in to a 50l storage tub ( the type you can buy at Target/Kmart ) & use that for sanitising bottles.

Obviously Taps/bottling wands/can opener/stirring spoons/coffee cup for hop infusion all go into the tub to be sanitised as well as inside the FV.

I usually only ever use it 3-4 times. 

Regarding PET bottles & Caps, if you look after them, store them out of sunlight/dust etc they will last for years, occasionally you may have to replace the odd cap but there are other members on this forum who only use them. I still have all of the boxes that the PET bottles come in when you buy them & of course they are stored in them .

I don't use them much any more only a couple for each brew just to check early carbonation. I have more consistent results with Glass longnecks.

If you ever get a flat bottle you have to weigh up your options - do I bin it or replace the cap & re-use the bottle, it also pays to mark the bottle so you can identify it if used again.

Finally be sure to break off the seal under the cap on new caps before 2nd use to ensure a tight seal.

20210630_124210.jpg.9f100e1847f8941f078e46e43e27f597.jpg

20210630_124323.jpg.9c03e13f1bccfcfa08c408782978a800.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, davids47 said:

thanks for info,

one more question there is other sterilizers like Starsan ,are they the same or is Starsan the best

Starsan in my opinion is the best bit at the LHBS or online you will find other options. I would say Starsan is the most effective & economical.

StellarSan is similar & available readily.

StellarSan Sanitizer/Sanitiser - Phosphoric Acid - Starsan Type - front

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, davids47 said:

thanks for info,

one more question there is other sterilizers like Starsan ,are they the same or is Starsan the best

There is also Atomic 15 and some suppliers stock generic Phosphoric Acid.  There must be a slight difference because the dilution/dosage rates per litre of water are different for some of them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Starsan is the most effective & economical

Not quite, but there’s not a lot of difference:

https://beerco.com.au/products/pure-phosphoric-acid-96-pure-500ml

Both the same product essentially, but starsan is 50% diluted so doesn’t go as far. 

The best thing about these sanitizers is that they can be used over and over as the others have said, and the yeast use them as a nutrient. And they are no rinse. 

• Like 2