Coopers Community

Soft PET bottles when cold

worry wort

Yeah, when I was bottling and bulk primed everything I never did it in the primary. I figured at the time that if the stirring was gentle enough not to disturb the trub then it wasn't likely to mix the sugar solution in very well, or at all evenly throughout the beer. Always racked off to another vessel with the solution already in it so the transfer did the majority of the mixing, then gave it a quick stir to finish off and into bottles. 

I did bottle in glass as opposed to plastic however I could never notice any difference between them. They were all carbonated pretty equally. 

• Like 2

Personelly i found racking into a secondary far better then trying to mix it in the primary

just for the reason obv mentioned .  it maybe a bit extra work but it gives greater chance of the priming sugar to mix through the  wort with out disturbing the  trube on the bottom

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I don't know how long this bow is I''m about to draw, but here's something to ponder. 

I am now 2 beer batches in after the soft bottle episode. The last batch all firm and fizzy and just what its all about, this batch, soft bottles again. I make pretty much the same brew each time, the only change is the hops, and here's the thing, both the soft-bottle batches used citra hops. I cannot possibly see how this could have any bearing on the problem, but the batch inbetween, an identical brewed beer but with Centennial, was perfect, but two batches using citra have resulted in about a 40% soft bottle failure. I have used citra often with others, but never exclusivly citra. Keen for opinions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, worry wort said:

ok, I don't know how long this bow is I''m about to draw, but here's something to ponder. 

I am now 2 beer batches in after the soft bottle episode. The last batch all firm and fizzy and just what its all about, this batch, soft bottles again. I make pretty much the same brew each time, the only change is the hops, and here's the thing, both the soft-bottle batches used citra hops. I cannot possibly see how this could have any bearing on the problem, but the batch inbetween, an identical brewed beer but with Centennial, was perfect, but two batches using citra have resulted in about a 40% soft bottle failure. I have used citra often with others, but never exclusivly citra. Keen for opinions.

It could well be, nothing surprises me now when after many FV Snap Tap failures it was found that using Olive Oil as a lubricant was causing the plastic locating tabs on the two halves of the tap to fail. Problem solved

I don't have PET bottle handy at the moment but I am looking at 1.250 litre Coke bottle. The screw cap seals plastic to plastic in a groove in the lid. Does the Coopers cap seal plastic to plastic in a groove or does have some sort of cushion/seal in the lid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worry wort said:

Mate I would seriously consider glass bottles, don't get me wrong, PET bottles work but there is always an element of doubt given the attention to tightening, cap closure etc but personally I only use the a minimum of them these days. Having said that there are brewers that only use them so really it depends on what you really want to do.

Beer fermented &stored in the orthodox method should be drinkable & enjoyable no matter what path you choose.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate I would seriously consider glass bottles,

Yep, I think you're right there Classic - would solve most of the softie issue for sure. I still reckon Bulk priming in the primary FV plays a part in some of the issues mentioned by WW @worry wort(Thanks @iBooz2 mate). 

But, having said that I've really only ever heard of brewers here who use PETs having the issue....maybe it's time to swing over to glass or kegging.

7 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Yep, I think you're right there Classic - would solve most of the softie issue for sure. I still reckon Bulk priming in the primary FV plays a part in some of the issues mentioned by WW @worry wort(Thanks @iBooz2 mate). 

But, having said that I've really only ever heard of brewers here who use PETs having the issue....maybe it's time to swing over to glass or kegging.

Yes as I have built up my bottle stock, mainly 750ml glass, Grolsch 450ml & German Beer Bottles 500ml, I mainly use a couple of PET's each brew just to check the carbonation, I will gradually fade them out altogether.

• Like 1