Coopers Community

Bulk priming in fv questions

Spursman

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Did you get more yeast in the bottles than the normal bottle prime? In my experience. More yeast equals much quicker carbonation.

No Greeny. It was cold crashed for 5 days and was very clear to bottle. I was careful not to disturb the trub when slowly stirring in the sugar solution and left it for an hour and a half before bottling. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 5:42 PM, ozdevil said:

if i was to bottle   i would agree  with @Aussiekraut  in using brewersfriend

but how i would do it in a spare fermenter  or bottling bucket  i would put the priming solution in

then with a tubing long enough to curl around the fermenter bottom  i would then rack the wort onto
the  priming solution

This way you will not disturb the sediment bed Aussiekraut mentions

by doing this  not only does every bit of wort  gets the priming solution it makes sure  that  it mixes well

as gently whirlpools  into the f.v or bottling bucket..

Hi! Never did a bulk priming. If I don't get you wrong.....what you suggest is to make the priming solution and put it in one fermenter,then take all the wort (with a siphon maybe) from the previous fermenter and that way it mixes all i n the second fermenter?

If so, sounds very good idea!!!!!

R gards

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 2:20 AM, oldbloke said:

I always bottle. I always fill FV to 21 litres.

On bottling day.

1 ltr boiled water in a jug and stir in 250g of sugar then add 1 ltr cold water from tap.

Let it cool.

Gently pour the 2 litres of syrup and stir into the FV.  Let it settle for 15 to 20 minutes and bottle as normal.

All Good

Hi, I have a question. Adding almost 2 lts of extra water (10%of the wort) wouldn't it make a watery beer? I think the fg will lower a lot.....

Regards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrchino73 said:

Hi, I have a question. Adding almost 2 lts of extra water (10%of the wort) wouldn't it make a watery beer? I think the fg will lower a lot.....

Regards

I've never bulk primed but you make a very good point, @mrchino73. I guess you could reduce the amount of water. You only need enough to dissolve the sugar.
Here's a quick video which demonstrates what you've already worked out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrchino73 said:

Hi! Never did a bulk priming. If I don't get you wrong.....what you suggest is to make the priming solution and put it in one fermenter,then take all the wort (with a siphon maybe) from the previous fermenter and that way it mixes all i n the second fermenter?

If so, sounds very good idea!!!!!

R gards

like in Muzzys  Post how that dude did it ,  is the way i  do it   , if i bottled

so you have understood me correctly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth, I dissolve 8g / l of table sugar in about 200g water from the kettle. I then pour it into a sanitised FV that I have just used to sanitise the bottles I'm going to use so I already had sanitiser made up (I sanitise my bottles in a FV with about 18l of snaitiser). If I need to sanitise the FV by itself I make up about 4 litres and swirl it aroung for 4 minutes : no biggie. Then I connect a sanitised tube onto the FV that has the brew, and gently run it into the clean FV with the sugar solution. That way with the slight turbulence of the beer coming onto it the sugat solution gets mixed in fine. It is an additional step but not too much of a hassle, and you are sure not to disturb the yeast at the bottom of the FV.

If it's a high-strength one like a Coopers Vintage, and I'm going to keep the bottle for quite a while, I drop the amount of sugar to around 6g/l. Otherwise in 6 to 9 months you get gushers and all that beautiful beer you've been lovingly maturing goes all over the floor...

Edited by stquinto
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bulk prime; process is kept really simple (per Lab Cats advice) pour the appropriate quantity of white sugar into small glass jug and dissolve with about 500mls of pre boiled water. Stir until completely dissolved and cool.  Add that mix to the primary FV and stir gently to avoid disturbing the trub. Wait 1 hour. Jobs done. No secondary fermenter - no racking beer - works for me.

• Like 3