Coopers Community

Troo Bloo

troobloo_01

Hi @troobloo_01and welcome to the forums.

I had 2 x 2nd hand ones that arrived all browned up from lotsa use. Didn't seem to affect things much apart from the smell even after clean & sanitise and opening them after a couple of days.

So what I did was use hot tap water and sodium percarbonate - about 2 dessertspoons and fill past the stain line, stir it up and put the lid on. Next day so clean they looked brand new.

• Like 1

Just now, Journeyman said:

Hi @troobloo_01and welcome to the forums.

I had 2 x 2nd hand ones that arrived all browned up from lotsa use. Didn't seem to affect things much apart from the smell even after clean & sanitise and opening them after a couple of days.

So what I did was use hot tap water and sodium percarbonate - about 2 dessertspoons and fill past the stain line, stir it up and put the lid on. Next day so clean they looked brand new.

Agree with Journeyman 

give a good overnight soaking   empty a good rinse  and see how it comes out

also remember to saitise it  before use

• Like 1

Whilst many may disagree, I don't use detergent on any thing that may  come in contact with the beer, including bottles and glasses.

I only use plenty of water, Woolworth's cheap "Nappy San" which contains sodium percarbonate as its active ingredient as a soaker and StarSan for sanitising everything.

I find the trick is to rinse out and not let anything sit overnight particularly bottles

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Whilst many may disagree, I don't use detergent on any thing that may  come in contact with the beer, including bottles and glasses.

I only use plenty of water, Woolworth's cheap "Nappy San" which contains sodium percarbonate as its active ingredient as a soaker and StarSan for sanitising everything.

I find the trick is to rinse out and not let anything sit overnight particularly bottles

he is trying to get a stain out of his fermenters  which could have been there  for awhile specially if he got these on the cheap

While i do your method   with PBW    and usually  use on my kegs and my unitanks  with a keg washer   

but for this chap  to get that stain out may require an overnight soaking if wants the fermenter looking like new to allow the sodium percabonate to soak through and eat away the nasties

he still will have to give a very good rinse  and sanitise before using

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

I don't use detergent on any thing that may  come in contact with the beer, including bottles and glasses.

I totally agree @Pickles Jones  detergent is a real head killer !

I use a solution of Bi Carbonate of Soda & water to wash glasses, FV's & bottles & rinse well before sanitising.  It works for me anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, CLASSIC said:

I totally agree @Pickles Jones  detergent is a real head killer !

I use a solution of Bi Carbonate of Soda & water to wash glasses, FV's & bottles & rinse well before sanitising.  It works for me anyway.

@CLASSIC   i never said that what your quoting me on  or wasnt you meant to quote me

like i said  to pickle jones  i actually do his method

pbw  is basicly  the same sodium percarbonate,  nappy san etc

the reason for my suggesting overnight soak is again to allow the sodium  percarbonate to soak in to the stain
to allow it to eat all the nasties and removing stain.

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

@CLASSIC   i never said that what your quoting me on  or wasnt you meant to quote me

like i said  to pickle jones  i actually do his method

pbw  is basicly  the same sodium percarbonate,  nappy san etc

the reason for my suggesting overnight soak is again to allow the sodium  percarbonate to soak in to the stain
to allow it to eat all the nasties and removing stain.

@ozdevil  I wasn't quoting you at all, just agreeing with @Pickles Jones  re: detergent.

I wasn't referring to the stains or sanitising either.

• Like 1

Just now, CLASSIC said:

@ozdevil  I wasn't quoting you at all, just agreeing with @Pickles Jones  re: detergent.

I wasn't referring to the stains or sanitising either.

all good just had to ask the question  becuase in that post you quote me as saying something i didnt lol

for whats worth i agree with your method as well

20 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

all good just had to ask the question  becuase in that post you quote me as saying something i didnt lol

for whats worth i agree with your method as well

I recently bought some Grolsch swing tops of a guy.  He hadn't rinsed them out after drinking. The residue had set like glue. I had to soak them for two weeks in "nappy san" to loosen it up. I was then able use them after a lot more rinsing etc.

8 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I recently bought some Grolsch swing tops of a guy.  He hadn't rinsed them out after drinking. The residue had set like glue. I had to soak them for two weeks in "nappy san" to loosen it up. I was then able use them after a lot more rinsing etc.

Grolsch are one of my favorite bottles for brewing, I am building up a nice collection & I have been getting away with a full sugar scoop in them.

Sometimes challenging for the pour but if I do get a bomb I will cut it back a bit.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

loved the grolsh style bottles for brewing really saved on bottle caps

but nothing worse then caked on residue  

i used to get a cordless drill  with a bottle brush   on it fill bottle up a bit with pbw or next best thing  and turn the drill on made easy work
of the grit

• Like 1

I mainly keg, but fill a few largies for mates & the old man.
I’ve had a few ( not all ) Grolsch swing tops turn out flat, I modified with pliers to adjust the tension but still turned out flat.

There is plenty of tension there but no cigar, just keeps turning out flat, may go back to PET bottles.

Just now, Red devil 44 said:

I’ve had a few ( not all ) Grolsch swing tops turn out flat, I modified with pliers to adjust the tension but still turned out flat.

There is plenty of tension there but no cigar, just keeps turning out flat, may go back to PET bottles.

I find that strange RD as I have got a quantity of the original Grolsch bottles (500ml)  & I bought a bag of new seals & replaced them & now they are as good as the newer style (450ml) & I have never had a flat one, in fact I am drinking one now a Mr Beer Northwest Pale Ale. if you zoom in on the screen you will see my post. Cheers.

Phil

NW PALE ALE.jpg 2.jpg

14 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I find that strange RD as I have got a quantity of the original Grolsch bottles (500ml)  & I bought a bag of new seals & replaced them & now they are as good as the newer style (450ml) & I have never had a flat one, in fact I am drinking one now a Mr Beer Northwest Pale Ale. if you zoom in on the screen you will see my post. Cheers.

Phil

NW PALE ALE.jpg 2.jpg

Ok, mine are the brown 750ml longnecks, my wife bought them on-line for me, not sure where, maybe they are dodgy.

Good excuse to buy a case of Grolsch bottles 🍻🍻😜😜

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I agree with Classic, if you have got the tension right it would/could be the seals. If you haven't changed them you should be able to get them from your LHBS. Try to get the red silicon ones I find they work well. 

I just read your post, try changing the seals on the long necks, they should be the same as grolsch but take a sample with you, it would be a pity not to use them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I agree with Classic, if you have got the tension right it would/could be the seals. If you haven't changed them you should be able to get them from your LHBS. Try to get the red silicon ones I find they work well. 

I just read your post, try changing the seals on the long necks, they should be the same as grolsch but take a sample with you, it would be a pity not to use them.

Cheers @Pickles Jones

• Like 1