Coopers Community

Warning to all

ozdevil

Gday All  (might be long winded)

I would like to give you all a stern warning to be vigilante and stay on top of your internet security

The reason i say this  last friday 18/06/21  I woke up and went to to pay some bills and before i pay them i check these places
i have bills with and i am very glad i have done so.  as some person in their wisdome hacked into my After pay account and decided
to go and buy a set of tyres  on my account.

i checked the time of purchase it was 11pm on the 17/06/2021 they made the purchase for $400
for a set of tyres to go to Griffith in my name 

here is the funny bit they paid 3 instalments on the same day leaving me the last to pay 

My suspicion is they thought i may have made other purchases and i wouldnt have taken any notice of the 
purchase they made and by the time the 4th week was around i would pay the account  and them thinking i
must of purchased it and would pay it with out thinking.

I was very fortunate  i couldnt do anything till 8am  even though i discovered this at 4am in the morning
(I never sleep but 1 day i will have a long sleep)  I rang Afterpay,even though i did email as well,  they was very good
and i thought i was going to have alot of questions and awkward ones at that , but was straight forward

I told them exactly what had happen  and what i am doing to prevent it  and what i have done since that transaction

They said sir don't worry about it we are glad you called us , i said i tried to call the tyre place to put a stop on the order as 
they was going to be ripped off tyre joint just fobbed me off, i told afterpay they told me dont worry  we will contact them.

Afterpay said dont worry this wont effect your other payments or credit rating  , but what we have to do is freeze and block your account to you
for yours and our security

I was happy with that knowing  no could buy anything with out my permission

1 question they ask do you allow others to use your account , i did say yes and that is my partner only
if friends want to use my account i do the transaction for them

They said thats cool thanks for telling us

Recieved an email Today, from Afterpay  

say thankyou  for getting incontact with us , we have found the order that was reported is of fruadulant activity
we have refunded the  said money back to the cards they used (would have been illegal credit cards)
and everything is good to go

telling me before they can remove the block and freeze o the account
i need to change passwords (even though i did when i found out)

rang them and everything is back to normal..

Guys  and gals please make sure you check your accounts  whether that is credit cards  buy now pay later etc 
These cretins will get in to your account and you wont even know about it , until you open the accounts up
and damage is done

Change passwords  regularly

if you think you have a virus  , change passwords

just stay on top as  sometimes it can be a little to late

I got lucky

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Checking bank and afterpay is a daily activity for me. I'm not so concerned about viruses or being hacked personally as I run Linux at home. We did get hit a few years back via Paypal but like you I was aware of it early and the only hassle we had was what the bank would refund versus what Paypal would hand over.

For Windows users, look for a recovery CD or USB - Kaspersky have a current one.  (https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-rescue-disk) They have instructions on how to use the program but basically you make a USB or CD and boot your computer to that. It then runs a full virus/trojan/root kit check OUTSIDE the operating system.

You would be shocked how many systems I have cleaned this way that had been infected for years, even though they had paid-up AV programs running for all that time.

That sounds complex but what it means is this - a lot of viruses corrupt parts of Windows or even the boot sector. So any antivirus app once you start up cannot see them. By starting inside a system NOT your Windows one, the AV can look into those areas and remove the sneaky bastards that can steal your data, lock your computer or hand over your passwords to bad actors.

Note this doesn't stop people getting at you via your bank, Afterpay etc. but given how most people use passwords, it can prevent those passwords then being fed to a virus that then infects your system. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Gday All  (might be long winded)

I would like to give you all a stern warning to be vigilante and stay on top of your internet security

The reason i say this  last friday 18/06/21  I woke up and went to to pay some bills and before i pay them i check these places
i have bills with and i am very glad i have done so.  as some person in their wisdome hacked into my After pay account and decided
to go and buy a set of tyres  on my account.

i checked the time of purchase it was 11pm on the 17/06/2021 they made the purchase for $400
for a set of tyres to go to Griffith in my name 

here is the funny bit they paid 3 instalments on the same day leaving me the last to pay 

My suspicion is they thought i may have made other purchases and i wouldnt have taken any notice of the 
purchase they made and by the time the 4th week was around i would pay the account  and them thinking i
must of purchased it and would pay it with out thinking.

I was very fortunate  i couldnt do anything till 8am  even though i discovered this at 4am in the morning
(I never sleep but 1 day i will have a long sleep)  I rang Afterpay,even though i did email as well,  they was very good
and i thought i was going to have alot of questions and awkward ones at that , but was straight forward

I told them exactly what had happen  and what i am doing to prevent it  and what i have done since that transaction

They said sir don't worry about it we are glad you called us , i said i tried to call the tyre place to put a stop on the order as 
they was going to be ripped off tyre joint just fobbed me off, i told afterpay they told me dont worry  we will contact them.

Afterpay said dont worry this wont effect your other payments or credit rating  , but what we have to do is freeze and block your account to you
for yours and our security

I was happy with that knowing  no could buy anything with out my permission

1 question they ask do you allow others to use your account , i did say yes and that is my partner only
if friends want to use my account i do the transaction for them

They said thats cool thanks for telling us

Recieved an email Today, from Afterpay  

say thankyou  for getting incontact with us , we have found the order that was reported is of fruadulant activity
we have refunded the  said money back to the cards they used (would have been illegal credit cards)
and everything is good to go

telling me before they can remove the block and freeze o the account
i need to change passwords (even though i did when i found out)

rang them and everything is back to normal..

Guys  and gals please make sure you check your accounts  whether that is credit cards  buy now pay later etc 
These cretins will get in to your account and you wont even know about it , until you open the accounts up
and damage is done

Change passwords  regularly

if you think you have a virus  , change passwords

just stay on top as  sometimes it can be a little to late

I got lucky

I thought it was going to end with my wife was surprising me with some new tyres hahaha.

Glad you picked it up 👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I thought it was going to end with my wife was surprising me with some new tyres hahaha.

Glad you picked it up 

I think that is longer than the Gettysberg Address but it does pay to be careful, a friend of mine nearly lost a considerable amount of money but she had asked my opinion before she 

paid the amount over the Internet, I saw it was a scam & stopped her, so she got lucky.

Untitled-2.jpg.4227c4dec07e6cc7ea5ae240e22fda92.jpg