Coopers Community

Anyone know of a decent Bad Shepherd Peanut Butter Porter recipe

Hey all

So the other day whilst bored in out current lockdown, I decided I would buy various beers from Bad Shepherd thanks to some deals they were doing.  On the weekend I had the Peanut Butter porter and I have to say it was phenomenal so that got me thinking as to whether anyone else out there has had a this beer and could hint at a recipe to try and replicate it.

I have just purchased both of this month's ROTM (Red IPA and Choc Hazlenut stout) and so I wonder whether adding to the stout could be an option to get somewhere close.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Frankie4Fingers said:

Hey all

So the other day whilst bored in out current lockdown, I decided I would buy various beers from Bad Shepherd thanks to some deals they were doing.  On the weekend I had the Peanut Butter porter and I have to say it was phenomenal so that got me thinking as to whether anyone else out there has had a this beer and could hint at a recipe to try and replicate it.

I have just purchased both of this month's ROTM (Red IPA and Choc Hazlenut stout) and so I wonder whether adding to the stout could be an option to get somewhere close.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers

I haven’t done one but the home brew challenge dude on YouTube has one, if you haven’t watched that. He was happy with his beer and note he uses peanut butter powder which contains less oil than normal peanut butter and I speak from experience with oil/fat from chocolate it will stuff the head retention. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I haven’t done one but the home brew challenge dude on YouTube has one, if you haven’t watched that. He was happy with his beer and note he uses peanut butter powder which contains less oil than normal peanut butter and I speak from experience with oil/fat from chocolate it will stuff the head retention. 

I haven't seen that YouTube guy (presumptuous that its a bloke) so I will have a look.

1 minute ago, Frankie4Fingers said:

I haven't seen that YouTube guy (presumptuous that its a bloke) so I will have a look.

No worries mate I just realised you’re doing partials maybe, but still if your going to add peanut butter I would probably try the powder unless someone else has a better idea. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I have used PB2 in a Peanut Butter stout. It was awful.

I hope yours is better.

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry so selected laugh 😆 The whole thread just went down like a brick and tile glider 💥 🤣

Edited by RDT2

42 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry so selected laugh 😆 The whole thread just went down like a brick and tile glider 💥🤣

Agree.  Given it was Hairy who had that experience makes me think that the use of PB2 may not be the best option.

On 6/8/2021 at 6:28 PM, RDT2 said:

I used PB2 before in an attempt to make something remotely resembling a PB Porter. It wasn't a bad beer but seriously lacking peanut butter flavour, especially for the price I paid for the PB2.  However I wasn't prepared to put the PB2 into the boil and get peanut goo all over the shop, into the pump etc., so I just added it to the FV.

The thing is, and it says so on the Bad Shepherd can, that it doesn't contain peanuts. So how on earth do they get this peanut butter flavour from?

Mine had a horrible artificial taste to it and I found it undrinkable, but could be just my tastes.

I added it to the fermenter.  Perhaps it would have been different if it was added to the boil.

Give it a go. The worst that can happen is you waste a little cash and some beer.

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I used PB2 before in an attempt to make something remotely resembling a PB Porter. It wasn't a bad beer but seriously lacking peanut butter flavour, 

This was my experience, also. I tried the Coopers Really Satisfies Stout and couldn't really pick it up. 

@Frankie4Fingers I have made a hazelnut porter with hazelnuts, not an essence. It was very very good.
I roasted 450g of hazelnuts and put them in the mash.
Perhaps a similar amount of peanuts, roasted and incorporated some how could work? 
Grind them and dry hop in a chux or hop sock could work?

• Like 1

Originally conceived by our head chef, this beer was inspired by ‘Buckeye Candy’. Moreish peanut butter fudge balls partially dipped in rich chocolate. Go on, Google it. Our mouth was watering when we did. Brewed with chocolate malt, chocolate wheat and hazelnuts, the hero in this creamy, decadent and full-bodied porter is the peanut butter character.

Contains lactose... SO maybe just go the coopers one and throw some lactose in?

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 6:55 AM, Green Blob said:

@Frankie4Fingers I have made a hazelnut porter with hazelnuts, not an essence. It was very very good.
I roasted 450g of hazelnuts and put them in the mash.
Perhaps a similar amount of peanuts, roasted and incorporated some how could work? 
Grind them and dry hop in a chux or hop sock could work?

How was the head retention with the oil from the hazelnuts or does roasting dry that out. Just interested after my chocolate experience 🤣 I have just some info which you have spoken about so disregard for now. Another bloody recipe to try🤣

Edited by RDT2

• 1 year later...

I'm after a recipe for it as well, but what I do know is there are no peanuts in it all! In deference to those with peanut allergies, they use hazelnuts, which i think adds to, rather than detracts from the overall result.

• Like 1