Coopers Community

Coopers Draught

15 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey @Barramullafella  I am going to try some of those Carb Drops vs White Sugar experiments tomorrow - been in the bottle for 18 days, should be enough to compare results.

I will record it all.

Eggzelent. I am curious to see how it goes. I have been using about 6gm white sugar per 740 PET and find it good carbonation.

3 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Eggzelent. I am curious to see how it goes. I have been using about 6gm white sugar per 740 PET and find it good carbonation.

The only difference in mine probably would be the addition of Malt & I am using the equivalent of 2 teaspoons, according to all of the Australian websites & my experience a teaspoon of white sugar weighs 4.2gms.  Carb drops are supposed to weigh 4gms although I have found slight variations in these. I jus ordered my digital scales this morning that will be 0.1 gm so I will check it out.

brewing-scales-01g-to-1000g-256124_1800x1800.webp

2 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

The only difference in mine probably would be the addition of Malt & I am using the equivalent of 2 teaspoons, according to all of the Australian websites & my experience a teaspoon of white sugar weighs 4.2gms.  Carb drops are supposed to weigh 4gms although I have found slight variations in these. I jus ordered my digital scales this morning that will be 0.1 gm so I will check it out.

brewing-scales-01g-to-1000g-256124_1800x1800.webp 78.37 kB · 1 download

I have just bottled my Real Ale + BE2 kit. I will check out the taste of it in due course but so far I like the OS Dark Ale and the OS Draught. It will be these two that I will do my experimenting with the extra malt etc. In saying that I have two Woolies brand lagers to brew first, and will be using BE3 in one to compare with the previous Woolies brand which had a BE2 included. I will stay with the 6gm sugar for bottling but am look forward to the results of your tests.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

brewing-scales-01g-to-1000g-256124_1800x1800.webp 78.37 kB · 4 downloads

Good looking scales @CLASSIC 😄

22 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I am going to make a simple Coopers Draught tomorrow, I was hoping to buy more than 50gm LDM but sold out but I am thinking with the BE2 - 23 Litres, it should be enough to kick it up a bit.

20210423_131826.jpg

Slight change of plans with the Coopers Draught, I decided to change the recipe to;

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Draught

1 x 1.5 Light LME

1 x Safale s-04 yeast

1 x 15gm Goldings Hops

Also bought

1 x 1.7kg Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale

1 x Light LME

Supplied Yeast + Yeast from the tin of Coopers

1 x 15gm Hallertau Hops

I am thinking this sounds a bit more exciting than the previous idea.

20210424_122722 (2).jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

And further down the rabbit hole he goes! 

Yes @Shamus O'Sean  guilty, after trying a few of my beers with the added Malt/ Extract & Dry,  the results have been noticeably pleasing. I am really looking forward to getting stuck into this.

It was mainly you & the Graubster that kept telling me to use Malt, so a big Ta for that chaps. 🐰🙂

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, CLASSIC said:

brewing-scales-01g-to-1000g-256124_1800x1800.webp 78.37 kB · 11 downloads

Your new scales will confirm or scuttle this but I believe carb drops are around 3g each. Bag is 250g and there's approximately 80 drops per bag. 

24 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Your new scales will confirm or scuttle this but I believe carb drops are around 3g each. Bag is 250g and there's approximately 80 drops per bag. 

Hey Muzzy,

I was going to conduct some tests today with Carb Drops say a dozen for comparisons in weight - more if necessary.

Also with the Brigalow Sugar Measure & white sugar, although not a big deal for some I think it is good practice to be consistent with our measurements.

But even with my Digital Kitchen Scales there was variations, now these new scales can record 1/10 of a gram instead of rounding off to 3 - 4gm.

They are very slick & compact 12.5mm deep x 7.5mm wide x 2mm height, fit in your pocket & inexpensive - a great product.

I will post my findings.

Cheers.

• Like 3