Coopers Community

WHAT TO MAKE NEXT

I have been wondering what I should brew next as over the last few months I have bottled several different types of Pale Ales, IPA's, Lagers, Draught, Bitters & I have a Stout ready to go but I need something different. I have recently been watching videos on Partial Mash & Hop addition totally divorced from previous methods. I want to give it a proper go & from what I have seen I have enough stuff hear to make a start. Does anyone have any comments or I do I need to buy any other equipment ? I have cupboards full of utensils from my cooking days so I am thinking I am good to go.

Cheers.

20210329_111414 (2).jpg

they will last you quite awhile   as well   specially if you decide to  get into  full biab as well

i would even get a couple of hop socks      as you could use these with in the boil  and for dry hopping

On 3/29/2021 at 11:24 AM, CLASSIC said:

I have recently been watching videos on Partial Mash & Hop addition totally divorced from previous methods. I want to give it a proper go & from what I have seen I have enough stuff hear to make a start. Does anyone have any comments or I do I need to buy any other equipment

1. Get some paint bags (large) from Bunnings - you get 3 for about $9 and they last. Make sure to use them inside out. (so seam is outside the bag) Makes cleaning them MUCH easier. Your colanders aren't really going to cut it as the powder part of the grain will go straight through.

2. Make something you have already made with extracts. Make it the same but with the grain additions. That way you can do a side-by-side comparison.

Edited by Journeyman

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

1. Get some paint bags (large) from Bunnings - you get 3 for about $9 and they last. Make sure to use them inside out. (so seam is outside the bag) Makes cleaning them MUCH easier. Your colanders aren't really going to cut it as the powder part of the grain will go straight through.

2. Make something you have already made with extracts. Make it the same but with the grain additions. That way you can do a side-by-side comparison.

OK @Journeyman got it, thank you I guess these are the ones, I will try to find another Colander/container with finer holes. Cheers.

b0fd1fe7-80f1-4aa7-a094-05d439f45dde.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

OK @Journeyman got it, thank you I guess these are the ones, I will try to find another Colander/container with finer holes. Cheers.

If you have the bag you don't need a colander. 😄 And those bags easily handle mash temps.

Edited by Journeyman

6 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

If you have the bag you don't need a colander. 😄 And those bags easily handle mash temps.

Of course, get it, now, grain in bag, bag in steep/boil water, drain bag &empty contents into wort in fermenter, chuck out grain & clean bag for next time.

I have done similar in a small muslin bag in a pot on the stove in smaller amounts.

Cheers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NicolasW said:

You can also squeeze the bag and/or rinse then grains (aka sparge).

You might want check out Fast homebrew video:

https://youtu.be/rkIPaMBv1-o

or home brew network:

https://youtu.be/ldHdYdT7hto

Hi NicolasW thank you for that, I find heaps of similar videos, so far I haven't decided whose advice is the most valuable as some of them carry on a bit like meatheads but then again they would know what they are doing. I appreciate your input. Cheers.