Coopers Community

SMOTY ale 2021

Stickers

I made a variation of the SMOTY (without the hops) from the cooper's recipe archive last year as my first toucan not actually knowing that SMOTY stood for Shortest Month of the Year - not that it mattered of course but it was a really nice brew so this year i'm going to do it properly. Coopers Pale ale can, Coopers Dark ale can. Both yeasts. East kent golding hops. Brew it in February (the shortest month in terms of days) to drink in June (the shortest month in terms of daylight).

Anyone else got this on their February to brew list?

SMOTY Ale.pdf

• Like 1

great idea but if I was going to use extra resources to do a toucan knowing from experience. My personal taste would be to add a little more malt and maby dextrose to boost up abv and balance out the bitterness and and add all hops for flavour no 15 min boil. Just my preference looks good although I was almost going to do dark ale and OS lager tin as my next toucan but this looks heaps better.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:31 PM, Stickers said:

I made a variation of the SMOTY (without the hops) from the cooper's recipe archive last year as my first toucan not actually knowing that SMOTY stood for Shortest Month of the Year - not that it mattered of course but it was a really nice brew so this year i'm going to do it properly. Coopers Pale ale can, Coopers Dark ale can. Both yeasts. East kent golding hops. Brew it in February (the shortest month in terms of days) to drink in June (the shortest month in terms of daylight).

Anyone else got this on their February to brew list?

SMOTY Ale.pdf 507.52 kB · 3 downloads

I did have this on my 'To Brew' list, and so have a can of Dark Ale and also some EKG hops. I wasn't necessarily thinking of doing it in Feb but now I know what SMOTY means maybe I will 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Good one, I am running behind, what was your SG ? I am wondering what temp control you are using or is that ready to go in the fridge ?

Cheers

Phil

OG 1.044, not sure how accurate my hydrometer is. i'm doing mine at ambient temperatures, hoping to keep it 'around' 21c (probably more like 22-23 in reality)

7 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

OK, but when you say ambient do you mean it sits on the bench & what have you got plugged in, just curious.

i've an inkbird temp controller and heat belt but nothing's plugged into the inkbird at the moment, it'll just sit there on the bench. i'll probably tape the temperature prove on the FV later. this house should stay pretty stable temperature wise over the main part of the ferment.

i'm still trying to find my perfect brew-frigde, for now just getting by doing room temperature brewing but what i'm doing seems to be working 🍻

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lickedthestamp said:

@Stickers you intending to let this condition until June? 

most of them yes, will give them 1 x sugar cube each and put them into spare room and away from temptation but thinking i'll try a couple after a month for quality assurance purposes and prime them accordingly 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stickers said:

OG 1.044, not sure how accurate my hydrometer is. i'm doing mine at ambient temperatures, hoping to keep it 'around' 21c (probably more like 22-23 in reality)

I reckon that would be fairly close the recepie states it should come out at 4.9% there if I do a 1.7kg tin plus a 1.5kg malt tin to just over 21 litres this is my gravity and considering the water content in malt tin that would be fairly bang on.

25 minutes ago, Stickers said:

most of them yes, will give them 1 x sugar cube each and put them into spare room and away from temptation but thinking i'll try a couple after a month for quality assurance purposes and prime them accordingly 😉

Yeah I was just thinking about the hops in this one and then letting it condition for a few months. So far my experience with adding hops via steeping/dry hopping/hop tea eventually sees the hop flavour fade after maybe 6 weeks, so was wondering whether you would still get the full hop flavour after conditioning for at least 3 months. Admittedly there is quite a reasonable amount of EKG in this brew at 75g, but if you are going to set aside a few for earlier consumption it would be interesting to see how/if the flavour changes over time.

6 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

@Stickers   I was going to ask where did you get temp strip & then I found one  Home Brew Shop - Clever Brewing Home Brew Beer Supplies

Hoe do you find it ?

Cheers

Phil

mine came with the heat belt, it's as accurate as the strip that comes with the fermenter but i like having it right in the middle there