Coopers Community

SMOTY ale 2021

Stickers

@ozdevil thanks for the suggestion. I managed to get some very cheap disposable hop socks this morning, and added 25g of EKG in a sock to the fermenter this afternoon.  I will keep muslin bags in mind for the future.

SG today is sitting around 1.007, which I expect is at or very close to terminal gravity. I'm hoping it doesn't go any lower so I can start a quick cold crash on Friday and get it bottled Saturday. If it has dropped any lower tomorrow then I will likely postpone my bottling plans by a day.

• Like 2

Bottled 29 bottles tonight, 8 bottles primed with 1 carb drop + 1 sugar cube, and then 7 bottles each primed with 2 carb drops, 1 sugar cube and 1 carb drop respectively. Marked the bottles so that I know which is what - we'll see how this little carbonation experiment turns out in due course 🙂 

• Like 2

@Stickers Yep will do 👍 

TBH I am most interested in how the single sugar cube/carb drop turn out. I have done one brew primed with a single carb drop - St Peter's Ruby Red Ale kit - and it carbed up ok but took at least a couple of months to get there. However that was before I started cold crashing, so will be interesting to see if they do carb up ok and how long - if they even do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/1/2021 at 5:56 PM, Stickers said:

IMG_7796.thumb.jpg.4fcb1501d6f940f2a0bc53209a2cc954.jpg

happy june! time to break out the SMOTYs

That looks great!

I missed the first due to exam revision, but (surprisingly) I do have a few of these left. Will crack one this coming weekend for sure!

• Like 1

I'm drinking a SMOTY just now, my first one in a couple of months. It's still very nice, but it has changed. It's still got that bitter finish, but most of the hop flavour on the front has given way to a more typical roasty dark beer character. Difficult to say which version I prefer; the early version was more distinctive, but the mature version is more familiar for a dark beer (and I love dark beers). Either way, it's a winner for me.

30094641_SMOTYJunepint.thumb.jpg.bc55238d278bf17ad22f6725ac5da70c.jpg

• Like 4