Coopers Community

Dry cider for Mrs. Muzzy

Malter White

I had a previous attempt at apple cider which Mrs Muzzy said tasted like beer. She wasn't that fond of it. It was a Brigalow tin and I used dextrose as the fermentable sugar for it.
I've since discovered the Brigalow cider's reputation isn't glowing amongst the brewing community.
Not to be deterred by my previous effort, I've just ordered a tin of Brewmaker Apple Cider. The plan is to mix it with regular cane sugar after many beer brewers have said cane sugar will give beer a cidery flavour. This is a GOOD thing if making cider, I would've thought.
Mrs Muzzy likes a dry cider so I believe cane sugar should lend itself to achieving that dryness.
Does this make sense to you cider aficionados out there?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I'm no aficionado (yet) on cider but I've been reading around with the intention of making one for the missus. What you say sounds reasonable from all I have read.

I'm still trying to work on the sweetening as SWMBO isn't into dry cider. So far it looks like lactose or backsweeten when the keg hits the fridge and serving temps.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2

Just now, Journeyman said:

I'm no aficionado (yet) on cider but I've been reading around with the intention of making one for the missus. What you say sounds reasonable from all I have read.

I'm still trying to work on the sweetening as SWMBO isn't into dry cider.

Hi JM.

From what I've read lactose doesn't fully ferment out so it adds sweetness but double check that in case I'm mistaken as I've never used it before. I don't know where you'd get it from either but someone will surely enlighten us.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Hi JM.

From what I've read lactose doesn't fully ferment out so it adds sweetness but double check that in case I'm mistaken as I've never used it before. I don't know where you'd get it from either but someone will surely enlighten us.

Beerbelly have it as do most places with malt extracts. And yes, AFAIK that is why lactose is used. Maybe a head effect as well?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Hi JM.

Lactose,or milk sugar doesn’t ferment. It is used in milk stout, giving it its sweetness and its name. It is readily available at supermarkets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

I had a previous attempt at apple cider which Mrs Muzzy said tasted like beer. She wasn't that fond of it. It was a Brigalow tin and I used dextrose as the fermentable sugar for it.
I've since discovered the Brigalow cider's reputation isn't glowing amongst the brewing community.
Not to be deterred by my previous effort, I've just ordered a tin of Brewmaker Apple Cider. The plan is to mix it with regular cane sugar after many beer brewers have said cane sugar will give beer a cidery flavour. This is a GOOD thing if making cider, I would've thought.
Mrs Muzzy likes a dry cider so I believe cane sugar should lend itself to achieving that dryness.

No expert on this but I do make the occasional batch of cider. I usually use dextrose for the MJ ciders and they come out quite nicely. It ferments down to an FG of 1.000 and is bone dry if you don't add the sweetener. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I bottled this cider (Brewmaker) on 30/09/20 and we tried it a few weeks later. Mrs. Muzzy didn't think much of it and I have to say I wasn't enamoured with it either but I'm not very fond of cider anyway.
I poured a few for family and friends at Xmas time but the feedback wasn't great.
Roll the calendar forward 6 months 30/03/21 and I tried a bottle. I was either very thirsty or this cider has improved with age. I know beers get better with time in the bottle. I guess it may be so for cider too.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2

Hi Muzzy,

Give the apple juice route a go. Ive just put down another 10lts of this.

10lts Aldi apple juice 1048 OG (No preservative)

1 x pack Champagne yeast.

This will end up super dry, and does improve with age. I found some 3 month old bottles in the back of the brew fridge and they are well carbonated, crystal clear and tasting good. Well, they tasted too good that's why I had to make some more!

• Like 1

Hey Muzzy what's wrong with your current batches? 

I made the following for SWMBO's Birthday party in November (I used to make it a lot till SWMBO complained it making her fat):

14 L Aldi Apple Juice (7 bottles)

6 L Apple + Pear (3 bottles from coles)

2 L Presha Pink lady

500g Wheat malt (I normally use LDME but had wheat on hand) - this is to bring some sweetness back and provide some nutrients for the yeast.

A pack of kit yeast (surplus) - boiled again to provide nutrients (you could get a yeast nutrient).

S04 yeast

You can add the lactose at bottling or Kegging. I don't find lactose to be very sweet but it can take the edge off. I think I added about 250g but will have to check my log (which is at home). I normally don't bother generally the malt normally does enough sweetness for me but it was for a party.

Its probably drinkable within a month but will improve with age.  There was some left at Christmas which I thought had improved.

I've also made a MJ Hopped Cider. I didn't bother with the sweetner.  I found it to be quite tart which can be good. I got rhino farts off this one during the ferment. Again this has settled down with some age on it.

Edited by NicolasW
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I bottled this cider (Brewmaker) on 30/09/20 and we tried it a few weeks later. Mrs. Muzzy didn't think much of it. 

I'm probably very far from being an relationship expert but it sounds like Mrs Muzzy is a pain in the arse 🤯

• Haha 2