Coopers Community

Riwaka, aka ...

... “D Saaz”

Could a little be used in a German lager (authentically, not literally just used) in place of regular saaz?

Perhaps I will anyway. Not for bittering of course - I’ve got Germany’s best for that - just a little at the end.

Yes, this is a leftovers question. Got some reeeeally old tettnang too

9 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

... “D Saaz”

Could a little be used in a German lager (authentically, not literally just used) in place of regular saaz?

Perhaps I will anyway. Not for bittering of course - I’ve got Germany’s best for that - just a little at the end.

If you are asking whether it is to style, then no. Riwaka is too fruity to be within the style.

But it would be a tasty beer.

9 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

... “D Saaz”

If you are asking whether it is to style, then no. Riwaka too fruity to be within the style.

But it would be a tasty beer.

I think you'll be safe...   I recently used Nelson and Kohatu in an English bitter...   no one died and the world didn't suddenly end!  I just ended up with a really nice beer 😋

Edited by BlackSands
  • Haha 1

Hope you don't mind if I piggyback onto your thread Ruddy. I am planning my next spunded lager. I have 60g of Perle, which is very German. I heard an episode of Basic Brewing radio where they used 3.7g/L of Perle in the whirlpool. They found it resembled soft fruits like apricot, plum, and cantaloupe, but it was not overripe, tropical, or citrusy; it had no spice. Sounded interesting for a lager, so I got some. After I got them home I smelled them (could not do so in the store due to COVID). Unfortunately they don't smell all that interesting to me, just generically hoppy. They may not live up to the promise. 🤨

Not sure if I will use all 60g in the whirlpool, which works out to 3.5g/L with no dry hop (close to what they used), or split it and put 30g in the whirlpool and save 30g for keg hop (1.75g/L). Opinions?

I have some Mt Hood in the house and will be adding some at 20 minutes to boost the bitterness of the kit. I could use more....

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

15 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

I would usually agree, but based on timing there’s a good chance I’ll enter this in the state brewing comp as an Oktoberfest (or Marzen)

Just don't tell 'em you used Riwaka... they'll never know   😏

On 7/23/2020 at 1:58 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

Hope you don't mind if I piggyback onto your thread Ruddy. I am planning my next spunded lager. I have 60g of Perle, which is very German. I heard an episode of Basic Brewing radio where they used 3.7g/L of Perle in the whirlpool. They found it resembled soft fruits like apricot, plum, and cantaloupe, but it was not overripe, tropical, or citrusy; it had no spice. Sounded interesting for a lager, so I got some. After I got them home I smelled them (could not do so in the store due to COVID). Unfortunately they don't smell all that interesting to me, just generically hoppy. They may not live up to the promise. 🤨

Not sure if I will use all 60g in the whirlpool, which works out to 3.5g/L with no dry hop (close to what they used), or split it and put 30g in the whirlpool and save 30g for keg hop (1.75g/L). Opinions?

I have some Mt Hood in the house and will be adding some at 20 minutes to boost the bitterness of the kit. I could use more....

Cheers,

Christina.

What do you want from the lager? I don't brew a lot of lagers but I probably wouldn't dry hop one but it depends on what you want. For me the 60g at flameout would hold the flavour and aroma as well if not more than half at flameout and a 30g dry hop.

With that said it could be very hoppy and might push it towards a hoppier version than you intended. Just something to keep in mind.

Hey @Norris!. Thanks for your thoughts. I don't have much experience with lagers and am still trying to figure out how to make them. I brew them in a keg, under pressure. I have made three so far, all partials with a Mexican Cervesa kit base. With my last one I added 30g of Motueka with 5 minutes left in the boil and then added another 15g to the whirlpool, after the temp had dropped to 73C, and let it rest for 20 minutes. It was not dry hopped. The BU:GU was only 0.53 and I did not find it bitter enough. The other two had BU:GU in the low 0.70s, and I liked them better. I think I want to get the BU:GU up to 0.80....I keg hopped one of my lagers, and that one was probably my favourite. 

I will take your advice and use all 60gm of Perle at FO. Will use a little Mt Hood too, in the kettle, to boost the kit IBUs.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Thanks 1