Hey looking thru the local hB store and I noticed the Morgans cider kit, as I do like a cider in summer, was just wondering if anyone has brewed these and how do they turn out? Guessing it's pretty much similar to brewing a beer just follow the directions.

11 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Hey looking thru the local hB store and I noticed the Morgans cider kit, as I do like a cider in summer, was just wondering if anyone has brewed these and how do they turn out? Guessing it's pretty much similar to brewing a beer just follow the directions.

I have done 1 cider kit, cant remember who made it. Was dry as an Arabs sandle. Back sweetened with apple juice in a keg at 2c. Not sure how to do this for bottles. Maybe add lactose with the fermentables?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You have the craft fermenter, yeah?

I have been making this cider for my missus:

5x 2L Woolworths apple juice (cost 5x $2). 1L water (so total volume 11L). 50g Lactose. 1x pack Mangrove Jacks M07 yeast. Some carb drops and bottle caps. Makes 28x 375mL stubbies at roughly 5.8%ABV. Comes out a bit dry and low on apple flavour. Total cost way less than $20. I reuse the yeast, so could easily be kept very close to the cost of the juice.

She adds a shot of the apple juice to the glass then pours cider on top. She loves it.

Edited by Instigator
  • Like 2

Mangrove Jacks makes great cider pouches. They are about $40, with dextrose give or take a few dollars, but you get top notch cider.

You can control the flavour by either adding all the flavour pouch or just a portion of it to make it sweeter or drier. If you want good cider pretty much guaranteed, I would get one of those. Oh, they have a ton of different flavours. Coopers need to step their game up in the cider area.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Norris! said:

Mangrove Jacks makes great cider pouches.

Yes, very good stuff

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Instigator said:

5x 2L Woolworths apple juice (cost 5x $2). 1L water (so total volume 11L). 50g Lactose. 1x pack Mangrove Jacks M07 yeast. Some carb drops and bottle caps. Makes 28x 375mL stubbies at roughly 5.8%ABV. Comes out a bit dry and low on apple flavour. Total cost way less than $20. I reuse the yeast, so could easily be kept very close to the cost of the juice.

She adds a shot of the apple juice to the glass then pours cider on top. She loves it.

I've never used and can't recall seeing Morgans Cider kits.
But if you've only got the small craft fermenter maybe try supermarket AJ first.
Don't even think about using the Brigalow one that Big W sell!

I've made some similar to this using Aldi AJ. For one thing I found they came out with a better flavour using ale yeast.
When I used cider yeast the flavour just wasn't there.
About the shot of Apple Juice when pouring. I think this is a good shout. It definitely needs some added flavour.
Someone on here mentioned they added Bickfords Cloudy Apple cordial to the glass before pouring.
Only in the last week I've found somewhere local that sells it and plan to pick some up this week.
If you want some contact Bickfords and they'll let you know a local stockist.
I've tried adding cordial & fresh lemons in the FV. That didn't do much.

The Mangrove Jack one is good, although to me still lacks a bit of flavour. I like my cider as dry as dry can be so I don't add any of the supplied sweetener.
I got the local bloke I get my homebrew stuff from to order some in. He now says it's a good seller, so I get a bit of a discount.
I've got both my FV's empty at the moment. I'll be driving by a different HB store later in the week,
and I plan to pick up a Black Rock Cider that someone recommended. I'll put them both on at the weekend. Then do a taste test.
Although, just googled the Black Rock cider and the reviews aren't great.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 1

I purchased a Morgans Cider kit tonight on the way home.
I also have a Mangrove Jacks one I bought as a bit of a "panic buy" in case we went into lockdown the other week.

I'll put them both on this weekend. Then I can have a pretty good comparison taste test.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Graculus said:

I also have a Mangrove Jacks one I bought as a bit of a "panic buy" in case we went into lockdown the other week.

I'll put them both on this weekend. Then I can have a pretty good comparison taste test.

I look forward to reading the results

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:05 PM, Graculus said:

How did the cider testing turn out..... It's next in my hit list!!

6 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

How did the cider testing turn out..... It's next in my hit list!!

Oh Sorry. I forgot to post about it.

Basically I'd spend the extra and do the Mangrove Jack one.
Definitely more flavour to it.

I'll try and find time to write a bit more during the week.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 5:15 PM, Instigator said:

Ok so this is my next go,  a few questions,

when you say Lactose what is it and is this some thing I can buy from the LHBS?

the MJ M07 yeast, do you need to buy the kit to use this or can I generally get it separately?

do you mix and ferment this the same way that I would do a beer, or is there different gravitates to look for?

28 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Ok so this is my next go,  a few questions,

when you say Lactose what is it and is this some thing I can buy from the LHBS?

Lactose is a non fermentable milk sugar. Great little addition if you are aiming for a sweeter cider without having to back sweeten to much or at all.

You should be able to get it from most LHBS usually sold in 500g - 1kg bags.

Even if you get a bag to only use 50g you can use it heaps of styles. Probably my most popular beer people have tried was a milk shake IPA made with lactose.

Worth a try for sure.

• Like 1