Coopers Community

Carbonation Drops or Bulk Priming?

Pitch1988

Hi all 

I’m going to bottle some Draught on Saturday. I have used PET bottles in the past but I am going to try glass bottles this time around. Question is what would be the best method for carbonation either drops or bulk priming?

4 minutes ago, Lab Cat said:

They'll both work. I've switched to bulk, because I have lots of different sized bottles, so it's way easier.

I found the drops too low carb, and inconsistent. Others have had no issues.

I’m either gonna use 640ml or 750ml glass how much would go in each bottle? 

I'd keep it the same for both bottles - 2 drops in each. Not much diff between the sizes to matter IMO. One drop will be too little for the 640.

I dosed my 500ml and 400ml Grolsch with the 500ml measure on my sugar scoop. If you get a sugar scoop, dose them both with the 750ml measure.

Edited by Lab Cat

You can use any sugar, even LDME but the calcs for amount of carbonation will change.  You could use darker sugars or golden syrup and get the carb as well as some flavour. 

I used in bottle for too long - then I started BP in a second FV and wondered WTF I had been doing all this time with sugar scoops.

8 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

You can use any sugar, even LDME but the calcs for amount of carbonation will change.  You could use darker sugars or golden syrup and get the carb as well as some flavour. 

I used in bottle for too long - then I started BP in a second FV and wondered WTF I had been doing all this time with sugar scoops.

Could I combine ldme dextrose and golden syrup and use the same method to boil?

1 minute ago, Pitch1988 said:

Could I combine ldme dextrose and golden syrup and use the same method to boil?

Yes, I can't see why not. I'd stop the boil as soon as you get bubbles though - GS goes to cracking point quite quickly - I used it a couple of times to make honey comb. 

47 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Yes, I can't see why not. I'd stop the boil as soon as you get bubbles though - GS goes to cracking point quite quickly - I used it a couple of times to make honey comb. 

How much ldme golden syrup and dextrose would I need with water? 

1 hour ago, Lab Cat said:

They'll both work. I've switched to bulk, because I have lots of different sized bottles, so it's way easier.

I found the drops too low carb, and inconsistent. Others have had no issues.

I'm not a fan of the drops either. Low carbonation vs white sugar & pricy for what they are

42 minutes ago, Pitch1988 said:

Enough so it's a liquid - you want it to mix easily with the incoming brew. The calcs for how much carb you get you would need to research.

59 minutes ago, Pitch1988 said:

Never tried a mixed priming charge to get my bubbles but you can try This to get your calcs,  it will easily handle different sugars. 

Like others I prefer to bulk prime , mostly due to different sized bottles on the few batches I actually bottle 

• 2 months later...

Another quick and cheap option many overlook is sugar cubes.  Each cube is 4.5g, one per 750ml bottle is equivalent to 140g table sugar in a batch (2.5volsCO2).  That might be a bit low carb for some styles but I generally find it's plenty for the beers I usually brew.

Edited by BlackSands

5 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Another quick and cheap option many overlook is sugar cubes.  Each cube is 4.5g, one per 750ml bottle is equivalent to 140g table sugar in a batch (2.5volsCO2).  That might be a bit low carb for some styles but I generally find it's plenty for the beers I usually brew.

I used to use 2 carb drops per 740ml bottle but found the carbonation a bit low for my taste. So now I use one sugar cube plus one carb drop. Only a slight increase but noticeable to the end result.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I used to use 2 carb drops per 740ml bottle but found the carbonation a bit low for my taste. So now I use one sugar cube plus one carb drop. Only a slight increase but noticeable to the end result.

MUZZY likes it FIZZY  🤪

• Like 1