Coopers Community

Pale/European lagers with homebrew kits

Gerhard vdW

Hi Everyone

I live in Finland where most of our beers are kind of pale lagers.  I was hoping to try and make something similar at home from a brewing kit and was wondering if anyone has any good recipes that I can use.  I have access to all coopers beer kits and the other necessary stuff.  I also don't have the possibility to ferment at low temperatures, the room where I ferment is at a constant 19-20 degree celsius.  I know this is a bit of a challenge but any help will be appreciated.

I have not tired the Canadian Blonde or European Lager kits, since I am not sure at what temperature they should ferment?  I like a lager with quite a nice body and mouth-feel, so I would most probably want to cut out the dextrose and replace it with malt extract if possible?

Thank you all in advance for the advice

You will struggle to make a pale lager with kits and extract plus fermenting at that temperature.

The Euro lager is a good start but you want to find some extra pale liquid malt to go with it or mash some Pilsner malt.

That kit comes with a lager yeast and you will need to ferment it around 9-12°C to get best results.

Your next option is to use something like Nottingham yeast and try to ferment it around 15 degrees. With the use of the swamp cooler technique or similar you should be able to get yours to that temp.

9 hours ago, Gerhard vdW said:

Hi Everyone

I live in Finland where most of our beers are kind of pale lagers.  I was hoping to try and make something similar at home from a brewing kit and was wondering if anyone has any good recipes that I can use.  I have access to all coopers beer kits and the other necessary stuff.  I also don't have the possibility to ferment at low temperatures, the room where I ferment is at a constant 19-20 degree celsius.  I know this is a bit of a challenge but any help will be appreciated.

I've done Summer ales with the Euro, Canadian and Cerveza kits, with a 1kg of malt and Nottingham at 18C and they make good lighter-style beers. Nottingham is very versatile, it will brew clean at 18-20 and will work down at 10C as well, to make fake lager. I've got the Euro brewing now at 14C.

I'd give the Caribbean siesta recipe a go, this was a good summery beer, can you access the coopers recipe page?

Edited by Lab Rat

They might be close but they never taste quite the same as a proper lager yeast fermented beer. There's just something that the lager yeast provides to the flavour that sets them apart from neutral ale yeast in the same recipe.

I think the Euro lager kit or the 86 Days pilsner would get you the closest, but the only way to really make them great is to use extra pale or pilsner malt extract, and ferment them low like Hairy suggested, also pitching a lot more than just the kit yeast. And then store the beer cold once it's carbonated for a couple of months.

12 minutes ago, Gerhard vdW said:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I may just stick to other brews for now 🙂 

The Canadian, Euro or Cerveza with Nottingham yeast and some summer style hops like Calypso, Lemon drop or even cascade will get you a summer ale at 20c. It will be as close to a lager as you'll get without temp control and a lager yeast. I've done the Caribbean Siesta recipe, which was a good beer. Wouldn't be put off just because you're not able to make something strictly to style.

I can't get my lager as clean and crisp as commercial, even with the right yeast and temps.

4 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

The Canadian, Euro or Cerveza with Nottingham yeast and some summer style hops like Calypso, Lemon drop or even cascade will get you a summer ale at 20c. It will be as close to a lager as you'll get without temp control and a lager yeast. I've done the Caribbean Siesta recipe, which was a good beer. Wouldn't be put off just because you're not able to make something strictly to style.

I can't get my lager as clean and crisp as commercial, even with the right yeast and temps.

Thank you, I may very well try one of these when I have my mates over for a barbecue in the summer.  I would like to start incorporating some mini mashing in my recipes soon, so I will be on the lookout for some great summer beers soon. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2020 at 11:24 PM, Lab Rat said:

Dood I ended up with beer that tastes like cider because it was brewed too hot. It was like 24 to 26 degrees the entire time up until bottling an hour ago. I want to try everything but I may have to set up shop in Antarctica to make a lager! 😞 At least the penguins will be friendly!

On 1/23/2020 at 8:44 AM, Hairy said:

Your next option is to use something like Nottingham yeast and try to ferment it around 15 degrees. With the use of the swamp cooler technique or similar you should be able to get yours to that temp.

And.... there's no reason why you can't take it even lower if you have the means.  I've done a pseudo-lager with it at 13ºC but have also read of others that have used it at 12ºC.  

And, having said that  34/70 lager yeast remains consistent all the way up to the low 20's ...

Edited by BlackSands