Coopers Community

Tsars tar

Cosmo2450

Thinking of brewing a tsars tar to age in time for the cooler months next year. Anyone experienced with this brew? I wouldn’t mind adding a coffee hit in it to really perk me up. 

Now my question is to do with kegging this brew. I plan on kegging it and leaving for 5 or 6 months. Is that long enough or too long? Would I be better to condition the brew in the keg or would it be best to just leave it and carb it up later?  

Any tips would be great! 

Thanks!

I have an imperial stout in bottles for almost 6 months. Will be a year once winter comes. I cant keg one as i don't have enough kegs to leave one for 6+ months. If i was to do it in a keg id naturally carbonate it rather than force carb. Id also store it at cellar temps once it does carbonate if you can. 

I find with most of my high ABV beers 6 months is about right. Some of these are lighter in colour though. For the darker ones id like it to be longer than i usually give them.

If I were you id try one every month from 3 months on and see how it develops for your taste buds. That is the ultimate after all.

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I bottled the Russian Imperial Stout on 1 Feb this year (2019).  Even at two months it was nice.  Six months for yours would be fine.

I have been drinking about one a week since about the six month mark.  They are beaut.

I don't really like mine to be honest. Mine is just over a year old.
I have a bottle every now and then to use it up.
I wouldn't brew it again.

I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the Toucan I make with Choc Malt.

Cosmo 2450 if you want a stout with a coffee kick I can recommend the Toucan.
And steep 250 grams of Choc Malt.
I drink em young. Otherwise the coffee flavour comes through too much.
I don't drink coffee. I have a case in the garage that is 3 ( I think) years old.
Totally undrinkable for me. Coffee taste is way too strong.

1 hour ago, Graculus said:

I don't really like mine to be honest. Mine is just over a year old.

I must admit the last one I had was a bit on the burnt coffee side of taste.  I do not mind that too much.  I love my coffee.  Some of the earlier tastings were a smoother brew; 9% but really easy to drink.  Now, more of a sipping beer.

I also made the basic Stout back in the day and it was good and all finished within about four months.  

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I must admit the last one I had was a bit on the burnt coffee side of taste.  I do not mind that too much.  I love my coffee.  Some of the earlier tastings were a smoother brew; 9% but really easy to drink.  Now, more of a sipping beer.

I also made the basic Stout back in the day and it was good and all finished within about four months.  

I'll have to have another one this week. I don't really recall a coffee taste in the IRS.
I can't say I'm enjoying the IRS, but you're right. It is a sipper.
Moreso in the toucan + choc  malt.

I’ve never brewed a dark beer before but the thought of having one in front of the open fire late at night really appeals to me.

I do enjoy coffee quite a bit, I was thinking more along the lines of having to steep some coffee beans or even a couple of shots of espresso to get a real hit out of it? 

14 hours ago, Cosmo2450 said:

I’ve never brewed a dark beer before but the thought of having one in front of the open fire late at night really appeals to me.

I do enjoy coffee quite a bit, I was thinking more along the lines of having to steep some coffee beans or even a couple of shots of espresso to get a real hit out of it? 

The Jitter Juice recipe has coffee beans added like a dry hop on day 7.  I did this recipe a while ago.  I liked it.  It has 80 IBU's so pretty bitter too.  Except you cannot get the Dark Winter Ale Craft series can anymore.  I do not know what combo of other kit and extracts would match this kit.  Suggestions @Coopers DIY Beer Team and others?

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The Jitter Juice recipe has coffee beans added like a dry hop on day 7.  I did this recipe a while ago.  I liked it.  It has 80 IBU's so pretty bitter too.  Except you cannot get the Dark Winter Ale Craft series can anymore.  I do not know what combo of other kit and extracts would match this kit.  Suggestions @Coopers DIY Beer Team and others?

You'd probably have to order it but try this place for the Dark Winter Ale: https://www.cannonhillbrewing.com.au/product/mr-beer-winter-dark-ale/

• Like 1

Hey @Aussiekraut,

Instead of the Mr Beer Winter Dark Ale, you could alternatively use 2/3 of a can of Coopers Dark Ale.

In 8.5L this will get you a bitterness of approx. 68 IBU (after fermentation) an EBC of 84, and around 3.9% ABV.

You could then add a Mr Beer UME - Smooth and a Mr Beer UME - Robust to boost the ABV to approx. 5.9% (before secondary fermentation).      

Everything else with adding the coffee in would be the same.

Cheers,

Coopers DIY Beer Team

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 9:21 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I had one of my IRS's last night. Purely for tasting purposes for this thread.

I would say there's a burnt taste, but not coffee.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to bring this up again. I’m going away for two weeks tomorrow and as my previous post my newly installed fermenter fridge fizzled up and dropped down to 9 degrees over night after pitching the yeast. I’m concerned the yeast has gone to sleep or something worse...? Anyone got any ideas? Will it be okay? Should I pitch more yeast? Already uses two packets? Should I put the can lager yeast in? I won’t be able to check it for two weeks after tomorrow which is making me very anxious haha

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Can you just bump the controller up a couple of degrees so it goes up a little higher? 9 degrees isn't too cold but if it keeps going down it will be. 

Yeah I’ve sorted the controller out it is all good now. But I’m just worried about the yeast now. And I can’t check it for 2 weeks so hopefully it does kick off.