Coopers Community

Extract pilsner, worth the trouble?

I've made a couple of pils. They've turned out good, but nothing near Urquell. I'm keeping the last one for better weather drinking. I used a load of saaz with the last one and it has the Urquell bittering, but not the floral flavours. Not sure what hop might bring that, hallertau maybe?

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Urquell is all Saaz.

If you get proper Pilsen extract you can get pretty close. Saaz to about 40 IBUs, I'd probably use a 60, 20 and 10 minute addition. A large yeast pitch with 2001 or 2278. 

Is this (Weyermann) the right stuff? --> https://shop.humle.se/en/malt-extract/liquid-malt-extract/malt-extract-bavarian-pilsner-4-kg 

No offence meant to the effort & quality of the Czech Pilsner Kelsey makes, but if you're going the extract route, don't overlook the Coopers 86 Days Pilsner kit. It's a quality kit I've brewed with a couple of times that does all the hard work for you when making this type of beer.

Coopers DIY Recipe: Czech Pils

Maybe look to put some effort into creating a suitable water profile for the beer that is said to improve the flavour aspects.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

No offence meant to the effort & quality of the Czech Pilsner Kelsey makes, but if you're going the extract route, don't overlook the Coopers 86 Days Pilsner kit. It's a quality kit I've brewed with a couple of times that does all the hard work for you when making this type of beer.

Coopers DIY Recipe: Czech Pils

Maybe look to put some effort into creating a suitable water profile for the beer that is said to improve the flavour aspects.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

I was planning on putting this one down this weekend, but then put it off for next week. I've got two questions for it. Last year I used the euro lager kit with about 50g saaz boiled for 20 minutes. I compared it back to back with urquell, and the urquell was just better. More flavour, more body. The flavour difference doesn't bother me heaps, but I was intending on adding some wheat malt extract to thicken it up a bit. Also, how long should I leave it on the yeast? I was intending at least 4 weeks, probably longer. Should I put it in secondary instead? Lastly, I've got saaz pellets in the freezer from last winter. Still good?

Edited by alilley

Is wheat malt extract less fermentable than barley malt extract? They reckon liquid extract doesn't ferment out as much as dry, may be able to just use a 1.5kg tin of light extract with it. 

I normally leave my lagers in the fermenter for four weeks or so, but the second half of that time is spent cold. They usually ferment to FG in 10 days or less, plus a few days to clean up before dropping the temp. If you use a secondary to lager it, you're best off getting some CO2 in the headspace. This could either be from a cylinder or adding some sugar and allowing it to ferment before chilling it.

The hops in the freezer should be fine too. I have some that have been in there longer than a year and are still producing nice brews. 

I have been very happy with the Golden Saaz Pilsner kit from Morgans ... used it once with added Saaz and used W34/70 ... used the 86 d

18 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd probably use a 60, 20 and 10 minute addition

What size additions ... 25-30g? 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

Depends on the alpha percentage. I don't have my recipe on hand right now but from memory all the additions are of similar weights between 30-40g. I get about 75-80% of the IBUs from long boiled additions at FWH and 80 minutes, and the rest from two additions at 15 minutes and flameout. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, alilley said:

...Also, how long should I leave it on the yeast? I was intending at least 4 weeks, probably longer. Should I put it in secondary instead? Lastly, I've got saaz pellets in the freezer from last winter. Still good?

+1 to what Otto man said on fermentation & on the frozen hops.

22 hours ago, alilley said:

I was planning on putting this one down this weekend, but then put it off for next week. I've got two questions for it. Last year I used the euro lager kit with about 50g saaz boiled for 20 minutes. I compared it back to back with urquell, and the urquell was just better. More flavour, more body. The flavour difference doesn't bother me heaps, but I was intending on adding some wheat malt extract to thicken it up a bit.

The Euro Lager kit brew you did last year, was it to a reduced ferment volume as the Coopers DIY Czech Pils recipe I've highlighted is?

The reduced volume increases the OG, & generally the FG of the beer as well. An increased FG in the beer improves head retention & gives the beer a fuller mouthfeel. The kit flavours are also intensified.

Trust in the DIY Czech Pils recipe as is. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The Euro Lager kit brew you did last year, was it to a reduced ferment volume as the Coopers DIY Czech Pils recipe I've highlighted is?

Yeh, probably not from memory. And I'm pretty sure I've got wild yeast in the water bringing it down further in the bottle over time.

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Trust in the DIY Czech Pils recipe as is. You won't be disappointed.

Will do 

On 7/7/2019 at 4:20 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Is wheat malt extract less fermentable than barley malt extract?

Honestly, no idea. I've just tended to find wheat beers quite "thick" (?) and hard to drink.

Edited by alilley

I just got my stuff for weekend brew with Euro lager.

I will use 250 g of Carapils grains to steep first

Euro lager extract

1kg of DME and maybe a dash of dextrose but DME should be ok

Will use Sazz hops for boil

Will use Sazz and Halletau for dry hop

Lager yest

If it will turn out ok or drinkable i may use the 86 day pilsner next time.

As a Czech guy i would not expect to get the best urquell clone from extract but want to create pils/lager just to generally enjoy.

• Like 1

As christina said in the other thread. Tried to tag her, not sure if it worked. 3mL Janola unscented bleach to about 15L water. I'll boil up some dry malt tomorrow to make up the rest.

Edited by alilley

On 7/13/2019 at 4:10 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

It should be ok, especially if it is allowed to sit for a while. This will allow the chlorine to evaporate out. Or you can throw some vitamin C in there.

Took the towel off to take a sniff. Smells like a swimming pool. What will Vitamin C do?

Edited by alilley