Coopers Community

Wee Heavy, too light on yeast?

No worries. Course, it's not as complex as the Fullers, but after having a Pride and the 1845 the last couple of days, it's not out of place alongside them. I'd definitely suggest pitching the kit yeast as well to make sure you get through the sugars.

I already picked up a Real Ale, so now I'm going to have to try it. Liq malt and some brown sugar. So not much different from the Scotch and I'll see what the Real can does

Edited by Lab Rat

17 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

No worries. Course, it's not as complex as the Fullers, but after having a Pride and the 1845 the last couple of days, it's not out of place alongside them. I'd definitely suggest pitching the kit yeast as well to make sure you get through the sugars.

I already picked up a Real Ale, so now I'm going to have to try it. Liq malt and some brown sugar. So not much different from the Scotch and I'll see what the Real can does

Sounds good and Congrats on the Scotchie LR - looks good and sounds like it's a winner - is always good when something works out so well - good job!

I reckon such Coopers Kits plus a good dollop of Liquid Malt is always going to get you a long way down the road of something tasty.... let us know how the RA goes!

What do you think has happened with your secondary carb issues on the other brews you mentioned - plastic bottles maybe?

5 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What do you think has happened with your secondary carb issues on the other brews you mentioned - plastic bottles maybe?

Don't know. Been cold in the garage for 2+ weeks and they've been warming in the fridge for over a week. Today's PET was better, but still not where I'd like it.

15 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Don't know. Been cold in the garage for 2+ weeks and they've been warming in the fridge for over a week. Today's PET was better, but still not where I'd like it.

Each to their own LR but I am not a believer in the PETs though they all serve their own purpose I guess... but I do fear they may also be a bit more leaky than a good quality Coopers Largie with well capped crown cork lid... and even the Swingtops I believe are better.

But if not been warm for secondary ferment esp. with Ale Yeasts I suspect you will be down on bubbles... you prolly already know this but - put in warmer place and upend to bring yeasts back through the brew as yeasts are non-motile.... and cold conditions always help to drop out colloidals. 

At least your Scotchie in glass swingtop was a clear winner hey?

Just remembered - the PETS did have a mishap after bottling. I was moving them to the garage and the bottom of the box gave way. They scattered and one punctured. It's possible a few others got damaged.

If they were glass, it would have been carnage. I've had no issues with PETs otherwise, I reckon I've had maybe 2 duds in all the batches I've done - where on opening they were totally flat and the rest were fine. I also like them for thumb testing.

• Like 1

Yes there is no doubt that glass bottles do not like hard floors (nor PETs by the sound of it) ... but there are ways of managing that ; )

What is disappointing is the quality of the cardboard cartons that new Coopers largies come in.

@PB2 is that due to ongoing commitment to reducing packaging?  The last carton of Stout Largies I got was disgraceful - beer and bottles great - but the carton itself very weak.

The older boxes were much better quality.

10 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

The last carton of Stout Largies I got was disgraceful

Did the carton fail in some way?  If so, please send through the details to our Customer Service Team - customerservice@coopers.com.au

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Did the carton fail in some way?  If so, please send through the details to our Customer Service Team - customerservice@coopers.com.au

I think he's referring ot the overall stability. Fine for empty PETS, but try and use them to store full ones and they don't last long at all. They don't hold any shape.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Buy yourself a good number of plastic stackable cubes - they last for many years and are brilliant for storing Coopers 750ml glass talls. 😎

Having difficulty finding tubs with lids that will fit 750ml bottles, so you can stack them. The PETs will fit in standard 30l tubs, but 500ml swing tops won't and they are smaller than tallies. Tried Bunning and office works, but you have to go to 80l which are massive and too heavy to lift when you fill em

Edited by Lab Rat

8 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Having difficulty finding tubs with lids that will fit 750ml bottles, so you can stack them. The PETs will fit in standard 30l tubs, but 500ml swing tops won't and they are smaller than tallies. Tried Bunning and office works, but you have to go to 80l which are massive and too heavy to lift when you fill em

Something like these? https://www.ezystorage.com/product/storage/hobby-box/27l-hobby-box/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

That's the sort of thing I looked for but can't find anywhere. Says Bunnings and Officeworks stock them, but they don't - not even listed on their sites.

Heads up in case anyone else was interested in these. I emailed the company on the link and they don't stock these here.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

That's the sort of thing I looked for but can't find anywhere. Says Bunnings and Officeworks stock them, but they don't - not even listed on their sites.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/award-27-black-hobby-storage-container_p2583121

I've got heaps of these. Fit 15 tallies. Sides are a bit short for interlock stacking glass tallies but fine for the PETs, stubbies, and LC pints.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, Lab Rat said:

I think he's referring ot the overall stability. Fine for empty PETS, but try and use them to store full ones and they don't last long at all. They don't hold any shape.

Correct

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, Instigator said:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/award-27-black-hobby-storage-container_p2583121

I've got heaps of these. Fit 15 tallies. Sides are a bit short for interlock stacking glass tallies but fine for the PETs, stubbies, and LC pints.

Yeah it's for tallies and interlock stacking where the need is... 

5 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah it's for tallies and interlock stacking where the need is... 

The interlock probably isn't completely necessary. A few weeks ago I was researching building some tallie crates. Found this picture on the Coopers website. If I don't end up in Canberra for a couple of months over summer, knocking out a few similar to these will probably be my Christmas building project. Hardwood is expensive here in Cairns, so will probably just be ply.

As an aside, I like how they have full crates stacked on their sides in the background. I'm presuming it made them easier to grab hold of and lift without bending over; maybe one in each hand.

section-brewing-tradition.thumb.jpg.76669327b55275b84380c4c5377c3b41.jpg

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, porschemad911 said:

Yeah I have one in the boot of the car, bought it a while back though. 

But you don't have thirty ; )

Mmm unless your car is a Hummer and they are stashed in the back ; )

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

But you don't have thirty ; )

Mmm unless your car is a Hummer and they are stashed in the back ; )

You're right, I don't have thirty. But being a family man these days with a big Volvo wagon, I reckon I could almost fit 30 in the back! Then I could watch them all go bouncing around behind me when I'm getting stuck into the boost lol. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Haha 1