Coopers Community

Export Pilsener - Saaz schedule suggestions?

Hi All

Doing my 2nd Pils. The first came out pretty solid, but it was dry hopped with 100g Perle - didn't get very much from this hop. This time I'm using Saaz. I'd like to get good bittering and aroma, I have 100g.

Can anyone suggest a good balanced hop schedule using this? I'm assuming I'll need bittering and dry hopping. My favourite Pils is Urquell, as it has a really nice bittering and aroma profile. I don't expect a copy from kits n bits brewing, but want to get the Saaz working without going nuts.

Edited by Lab Rat

Yeah, that's basically what I do with mine although I use a 15 minute and flameout addition as well.

Using a kit you probably won't really need a 60+ minute bittering addition. You could do 30 minute, 15 minute and flameout additions. The amounts of these will depend on how much bitterness you want in the beer. 

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Urquell isn't dry hopped. Are you using a kit for it or all unhopped extract?

Yep. Pilsener kit, LDM, some Crystal malt (maybe 500g) and Saaz.

Just trying to get an idea of how much bittering for Saaz. I did the Anarchy IPA, but with less malt, so Chinook bittering was 25g @ 20m and 25g DH with 50 Simcoe. It ended up very light on hop flavour, but bittering is good.

Thanks, never realised dry hop or grain additions wasn't a pils/lager thing.

So the aim is to get the hop flavour from flameout? How long to leave it standing before cooling it to add to the FV? I generally leave it 10m

Well for a traditional lager like it sounds like you're going for they aren't, but who knows what they do with those modern "new world" ones. 

10-15 minutes should be long enough for the flameout hop steep. You'll get flavour from all the hop additions but primarily from the later two. 

I dry hop everything even my kids get hops in there socks.

Seriously though, I dry hop everything but in all honesty I brew 95% sessionable ales so I am by no means the expert on this...or too much else, but I digress.

I would though try to get the aroma and flavour your after through late additions, like Kelsey and Greeny suggested. Kelsey's pilsner has pretty liberal late additions and he SAYS, me being cheeky, it has good aroma and flavour, I would give that a try.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Kelsey's pilsner has pretty liberal late additions and he SAYS, me being cheeky, it has good aroma and flavour, I would give that a try.

Yeah, well I couldn't agree with me more on that one... 😜

It does have good aroma and flavour but it's not a hop bomb. Then again, the style isn't intended to be. 😎

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I dry hop everything even my kids get hops in there socks.

Seriously though, I dry hop everything but in all honesty I brew 95% sessionable ales so I am by no means the expert on this...or too much else, but I digress.

I would though try to get the aroma and flavour your after through late additions, like Kelsey and Greeny suggested. Kelsey's pilsner has pretty liberal late additions and he SAYS, me being cheeky, it has good aroma and flavour, I would give that a try.

Yeah, I dry hop pretty much everything too, as well as some bittering, but I do mostly ales. I like how clean and clear my first proper pils was with lager yeast and fridge, so put another on. I need a break from pales, and my recent brown ale was disappointing, so a Pils keep things really simple.

I followed Kelsy's hop schedule to the letter, no crystal either. If it's crap, what direction do I throw the phone in?

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Haha 2

I bet it will be nice, cannot wait to see the pictures. On a side note I am finally trying to learn how to use our camera to take beer pictures...I already feel kind of stupid when my family laughs at me when I take a picture with my phone...I look like shrek trying to use a digital device.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

last Pils i did was with Saaz 25g 15 minute FO and w34/70  pretty happy with that .... next one I am going to get the Urquell yeast if in season ... 

Just what I was looking for @MartyG1525230263 & @Lab Rat

Reckon I will ditch the dry hop and go all boil with 50g Saaz spread over 30 minutes in my Bav Pilsner.

Stick with the S23 and go low & slow.

Thanks

• Like 3