Coopers Community

Coopers Session

Hey guys I am reasonably new to brewing, have mainly been doing basic brews except for “Beer O’clock Session IPA Reciepe” am keen to attempt a Coppers Session copy using Coopers Lager and Melba Hops as well as Galaxy Hops. Was going to boil the hops in the wort for 20 on galaxy and 10 on Melba

thoughts? Very open to different suggestions

(only getting used to using Hops)

dont boil the galaxy, it can introduce really strong bitterness/weird flavours

i started this thread and posted a recipe that i used and it turned out pretty good.

Could possibly do a f/o addition of galaxy, but i reckon the Melba is the standout hop, you may have trouble finding it though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 7:21 AM, RepSpec said:

dont boil the galaxy, it can introduce really strong bitterness/weird flavours....

I have never used Galaxy for bittering but it works well in combination with Citra/Mosaic/Nelson for a 2m to 8m boil.

I find no bitterness with them and they go in in various combinations after 10g Simcoe FWH in my Pales.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 6:51 AM, RepSpec said:

dont boil the galaxy, it can introduce really strong bitterness/weird flavours

Sorry RepSpec, but boiling Galaxy is OK. Just don't boil it for long periods.

Keep your additions to no longer than 15-20mins left in the boil phase & you'll be fine. If you no-chill maybe adjust that to 10-15mins.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 5/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, Beerlust said:

Sorry RepSpec, but boiling Galaxy is OK. Just don't boil it for long periods.

Keep your additions to no longer than 15-20mins left in the boil phase & you'll be fine. If you no-chill maybe adjust that to 10-15mins.

Cheers,

Lusty.

+1 for lustys comment I have boiled it for thirty and I really like it with the Stone and wood clone it was good 😎 

I don't know where your at Snowy but Im on the Mid North Coast of NSW and I can't find Melba anywhere up here. LHBS can't get it in small amounts and don't have the market to make buying it in hugh amounts viable. I believe its an outstanding hop though. I've boiled galaxy without issue, but as stated several times above, only for short periods, a 10-15 minute boil is more than enough to extract those lovely fruity flavours without the bitterness having time to appear.

good luck brewing, it becomes a lifestyle.