Coopers Community

Mosaic for bittering

MitchBastard

Hey Mitch,

All depends what you want out of your choice of hop. 

If you want a clean bittering hop go for Warrior, or Magnum, if you want some spice, go for Chinook or Pacifica, I actually really like Pacifica for this purpose. 

Mosaic is a really good lifter hop, so plays well with others. It’s also great in a single hop beer. 

It can give you a good bittering however I think there’s better hops for this out there giving more bang for buck. But again, it all depends on what your desired outcome is. 

11 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I think there’s better hops for this out there giving more bang for buck. 

There's a few NZ hops that fall into this category, but it does vary from season to season.   I've used Waimea in the past at 17.5% though the current crop is way down.  Moutere is another which I think is currently sitting at around 17%AA.  I've been using that one recently.  Both are low cohumulone hops.   Pacific Jade another to consider...   that's if you can get any of them that is!?   

Mosaic was one hop I loved as a dry-hop addition.  I brewed a great Brown IPA a wee while back dominated by mosaic.   My best beer to date.  

• 2 years later...

Reviving this old thread.

My next partial will not be using a Coopers pre-hopped can and want to do the bittering myself.

Still going to use a can of Coopers LLME though.

I have a fair bit of Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic and Amarillo on the freezer.

Would the Mosaic be the best of of that bunch to do a bittering  addition with dya reckon?

Cheers

James

I’ve used Simcoe for bittering quite a bit which has worked well until I moved to Columbus just a bit more bang for your buck that’s the only reason. Was going to try warrior but it’s still 2018 crop at the LHBS where as Columbus is 2019. I have done an all mosaic beer which didn’t turn out too well but that was due to a dodgy thermometer mashed too high I think so not the hops fault. I don’t think it matters which one you use unless your saving a particular one to shine later in the boil so don’t waste it on bittering.  I haven’t used citra for bittering but have seen recipes use it I think they were Neipa.

Good luck and enjoy 👍

• Thanks 1