Coopers Community

VDK Test anyone done this?

Titan

I did a diacetyl test once.  A fairly simply test at the end of fermentation that relies on your nose to detect the characteristic 'butter' aroma.  It was clearly present.  I re-tested the following day and it was gone.  Never felt the need to do it again as it seemed that diacetyl was cleaned up pretty quickly -  in a day or so.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread after an interesting discussion I had at the Merri Mashers meeting last night.

WARNING: look away now if you are offended by chemical names or discussion of common off-flavours in beers.

A VDK Test is also known as a Forced Diacetyl Test. Diacetyl is produced by yeast during fermentation and if the yeast aren't given enough time to clean it up at the end of fermentation it will remain as an off-flavour. VDK is a precursor chemical to diacetyl. (And before your imagination runs away with you, no, none of my beers so far have had any detectable levels of diacetyl. Noto Bene: I intend to keep it that way, except, perhaps, for my clone of Working Title Brewing's Take 5 Chocolate Caramel Peanut Butter Cup Double Milk Stout, which is still some distance in my brewing future. It has a powerful butterscotch aroma and I made need some level of diacetyl to reproduce that.)

There are plenty of blogs and articles about how to perform a VDK or Forced Diacetyl Test. Here are a couple: https://escarpmentlabs.com/blogs/resources/the-forced-diacetyl-testhttps://spikebrewing.com/blogs/ask-a-pro/an-easy-diy-diacetyl-test. Note, the first one does not recommend using a microwave but the second one does.

My homebrew club friend recommended using hot water in the kitchen sink to heat the sample for 30 minutes. It is a very similar method to the one in this video: 

Of course there are other videos on the subject but this one is short and covers the process pretty well.

Hopefully somebody finds this interesting or useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1