Coopers Community

Quick Xmas brew for SWMBO

karlos_1984

I did a cider using Aldi apple juice, back sweetened with stevia at bottling time.  The only small problem was my miscalculation on how much dextrose I added. It ended up at about 7.4%. It kicked my mates and my arse one Saturday night 😜

5 minutes ago, Hermoor said:

I did a cider using Aldi apple juice, back sweetened with stevia at bottling time.  The only small problem was my miscalculation on how much dextrose I added. It ended up at about 7.4%. It kicked my mates and my arse one Saturday night 😜

As I don't want my 18 yo daughter drinking my very potent cider this is what I'll try next

https://www.thehopandgrain.com.au/brew-simple-5l-apple-pear-cider/

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah I usually do mine in the bottle. Just put in the yeast and put the lid on loosely. Wait for about 2 weeks and its done. 1002 to 1004 is usually where it finishes and yeah dry and tart. I usually add a few table spoons of plain white sugar as well. And you dont have to worry about it throwing a cidery taste.. lol

As Christina said they need backsweetening. Its a must in my opinion but each to there own. 

This sounds very similar to Saudi Cider, the cider that foreigners make in Saudi Arabia for want of grog.  Alcohol can be acquired by other (illegal) means in Saudi but as only Apple Juice and any yeast is required these things can be readily acquired and brewed with discretion.  You can make it with bread yeast .   I gave it a try myself  when I first learned of it and was quite impressed with the results. 

Australian Saudi based engineer Dave McLure spells out his methods for home made cider and wine made from supermarket ingredients at 

https://delishably.com/beverages/how-to-make-cider-without-special-equipment  and

https://delishably.com/beverages/Make_Your_Own_Wine

41 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

A week normally. But you wont see a big krausen. Most of mine had little to none. 

Fair enough. Cheers mate. I gave it a bit of a shake and heard it fizz up. Must be doing its thing. Must be a bit different to beer. 

Just took a gravity reading and it's at 1.000 so should be done. Is there any point in cold crashing this?

Also, the sample tasted quite tart. I tried adding some drops of lemon juice but this made it worse. What else could be used to sweeten it at bottling time? FYI I can't stand artificial sweeteners. On occasion, my local Macca's drops it in my coffee when ordering for a group of us and I can't drink it, rancid stuff...

3 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Just took a gravity reading and it's at 1.000 so should be done. Is there any point in cold crashing this?

Also, the sample tasted quite tart. I tried adding some drops of lemon juice but this made it worse. What else could be used to sweeten it at bottling time? FYI I can't stand artificial sweeteners. On occasion, my local Macca's drops it in my coffee when ordering for a group of us and I can't drink it, rancid stuff...

Dave McLure notes -

Alcoholic Content: The alcoholic strength of this cider depends on the sweetness of the original juice. Typically it will lie in the range 4 to 6% ABV (alcohol by volume), or about the same as a medium-strong beer. You can increase the alcohol by adding sugar at the start, but this increases the chances of stopping the fermentation early, leaving an over sweet drink, because of the relatively low alcohol tolerance of baker's yeast. I prefer to accept the natural strength as it comes.

Earlier he says -

If you have judged your end point well, it will have a slight sparkle when poured, giving a freshness to the taste. If you left it a little too late, it will be still and dry, but perfectly drinkable. On the other hand, if you refrigerated it too soon, it will be sweeter and a little frothy.

So it seems that judging the end point (i.e. refrigeration) can determine how sweet or dry the cider is as well as its level of spritz - but bear in mind he is using baker's yeast which wont work much beyond 6% alcohol no matter how much sugar you add.

That's My Coles Brand Apple + Mango cider I made not long ago. Since you just used Apple juice it was always going to end up dry / tart but u can just add a little bit of fresh juice when ur drinking it to back sweeten it. The mango in mine kept it a bit sweeter but still is reasonably dry. It is one that gets quite a bit better with a few weeks under it's belt. 

20181112_160100.jpg.1c3a8b9d84a6aaa4ac3d237350.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 8:17 PM, MitchBastard said:

I recently bottled and got stuck into a Cerveza kit i did. pretty simple and quick. 

Steeped 25g of citra with 200g of LDM

BE2 

US-05 

25g citra dry hop.

its definitely refreshing. Could do with some bitterness but I’ll look at that issue next time. 

Yeah i noticed the lack of bitterness from my sample, hopefully kicks up a bit as the sweetness ferments out (i used 2 cans.

Worth noting though, cheers @MitchBastard

Archived