Coopers Community

Quick Xmas brew for SWMBO

karlos_1984

Hey guys,

Clock is ticking for Xmas, want to brew something quick n easy for the Mrs to have at Xmas time. She normally drinks lager beers or something similar. Doesn't like my usual beers as she's not a hop head.

Anyone got any quick n easy kit n kilo based recipes that would suit and be bottled n ready for Xmas?

Have 2 cans of Mexican cervesa, a real ale and APA can in the cupboard with about 40g of galaxy in the fridge.

Was gonna do the euro lager to the green neck recipe but I don't think there's enough time for it to enjoyed properly at Xmas time.

True to form, she's just changed her mind and wants a cider instead of a beer.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of just buying about 4 or 5 of the 2 ltr pure apple juice bottles from woolies, dumping that into the FV with 500g (or more if recommended) of dextrose and using a rehydrated kit lager/ale yeast leftover from my last Mexican cervesa can. 

32 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

If she's true to form, she'll change her mind yet again! Make the beer she originally asked for. 😉

In the end it won't matter anyway, because whatever you do will be wrong. 😜

🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

57 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Any suggestions? I was thinking of just buying about 4 or 5 of the 2 ltr pure apple juice bottles from woolies, dumping that into the FV with 500g (or more if recommended) of dextrose and using a rehydrated kit lager/ale yeast leftover from my last Mexican cervesa can. 

Works well the homebrand juice. My advice is go the blackcurrant one. Id buy a cider yeast from the LHBS. It will ferment dry and tart. Backsweeten with stevia to taste either in the bottle or when serving. Too easy!!

1 minute ago, MitchBastard said:

I recently bottled and got stuck into a Cerveza kit i did. pretty simple and quick. 

Steeped 25g of citra with 200g of LDM

BE2 

US-05 

25g citra dry hop.

its definitely refreshing. Could do with some bitterness but I’ll look at that issue next time. 

I might do a similar brew but use my leftover galaxy instead. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Works well the homebrand juice. My advice is go the blackcurrant one. Id buy a cider yeast from the LHBS. It will ferment dry and tart. Backsweeten with stevia to taste either in the bottle or when serving. Too easy!!

Just looked at the woolies brand apple juice and it contains citric acid as an acidity regulator, natural flavours and vitamin C. Would any of this stuff cause dramas with effective fermentation?

45 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Nope. Heres one im going to use in a few days. Just make sure its preservative free. The missus prefers apple. The blackcurrant one i thought was lengths ahead. But then again i prefer beer. 🙂

1543228393246-1524543028.jpg

Just out of interest, what yeast are u using? I was gonna just use a kit yeast I had left over, but figured for $5 or so I might as well grab a cider yeast, keep the boss happy...

The trouble with these juices is that most are fortified with 100% of the RDI of Vitamin C, which is tart, so yes, it will need back sweetening with a non-fermentable sweetener.

Blackcurrants are naturally high in Vitamin C. They are an acquired taste: they taste like cat pee smells due to high thiol levels.  https://www.compoundchem.com/2015/07/23/blackcurrants/

I have two blackcurrant bushes and the smell is very noticeable when I pick them.

Cheers,

Christina.

11 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Just out of interest, what yeast are u using? I was gonna just use a kit yeast I had left over, but figured for $5 or so I might as well grab a cider yeast, keep the boss happy...

I use the Aldi AJ, which I've been told is made by Berri, but I can't confirm that.

I've been using Cider yeast, but I've been thinking about changing to ale yeast.

All my ciders seem to come out rather bland. I now add some lemon juice at bottling stage to give some flavour.

I'm thinking of using some yeast I have left over from when I made a dark monk beer.
I thought I read somewhere it would be good for cider.

Made a cider up tonight. Used 6 X 2 ltr woolies apple juice, so roughly just under 12 ltrs after a couple hydrometer readings.

The juice on its own read 1.046.

I added 350g of dextrose to the mixture, which gave an OG of 1.055.

Pitched a packet of Mangrove Jack's cider yeast. Sample tasted good, not overly sweet.

I've been reading the thread on cider help: 

If what is said on there is correct regarding FG of ciders generally being  1.000, then this cider will end up having an ABV of 7.5% by the time it's bottled. Wow.

Also, I use brewtoads yeast pitching guide on their website, however there's no drop down option for cider yeast, only ale or lager yeast. Don't think I've under pitched because I used the whole packet. But is ale closer as an estimate compared to lager yeast?

Yeah I usually do mine in the bottle. Just put in the yeast and put the lid on loosely. Wait for about 2 weeks and its done. 1002 to 1004 is usually where it finishes and yeah dry and tart. I usually add a few table spoons of plain white sugar as well. And you dont have to worry about it throwing a cidery taste.. lol

As Christina said they need backsweetening. Its a must in my opinion but each to there own. 

Archived