Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Bright Brewery - Vienna Lager

Another of my Father's Day pressies.

Nice to have because I have (had) a Vienna Lager on tap to compare to (until the keg blew).

• Malty, slightly herbal aroma
  • Toasty nutty flavour
  • Good bitterness, but not to high

By comparison my homebrew version is a few notches more intense, except mine has smoother bitterness and has a slightly fruity note to the taste.

IMG_3884.JPG.4e0a339674b2f7cd9e2bb63eb9c95dcf.JPG

• Like 8

A couple weekend ago we went away to the mountains for our wedding anniversary and a couple days without the little one and while we were there I made sure we went to Mountain Culture brewery in Katoomba and it did not disappoint! Had a tasting paddle and a couple extras. I am a big hazy fan and everything was delicious, had to get a few for later.  🤤 hopefully soon I can begin the AG journey to home brewed NEIPAs!

Scenic Route Session Hazy

Status Quo New England Pale Ale

Cult IPA

Two Bedroom Cottage WCIPA

Moon Dust Stout

Be Kind Rewind NEIPA

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4397.jpeg

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_4477.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

A couple weekend ago we went away to the mountains for our wedding anniversary and a couple days without the little one and while we were there I made sure we went to Mountain Culture brewery in Katoomba and it did not disappoint! Had a tasting paddle and a couple extras. I am a big hazy fan and everything was delicious, had to get a few for later.  🤤 hopefully soon I can begin the AG journey to home brewed NEIPAs!

Cult IPA

Moon Dust Stout

Be Kind Rewind NEIPA

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4397.jpeg

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_4477.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

All of those beers look great mate, I am a fan of Ales & hazy IPA's etc.

ALES vs LAGERS

I was talking to a couple of mates in the pub recently & we were discussing the difference between Ales & Lagers, it seems the average person doesn't really know, sure if you are a brewer, you would have a better understanding than most, but some people seem to think it is the different yeast involved or the type of grain used.

All of these factors do play a part but when I told them I could start drinking an Ale after 3-5 days in the keg they were amazed.

We all know about the different fermenting temperatures, yeast & the process of cold crashing/filtering & storage-lagering but lagers are more complex & take more time.

I personally prefer Ales, but I enjoy most better-known Lagers apart from the 'crafty' overload in our bottle shops.

As far as brewing I would much prefer to stick with Pales/IPA/XPA/APA etc.

What are your thoughts.

https://renegadebrewing.com/ale-vs-lager/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBillett09 said:

Cult IPA

Moon Dust Stout

Be Kind Rewind NEIPA

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4397.jpeg

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_4477.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

Mountain Culture Status Quo was voted Number 1 in GABS Hottest 100 for 2022. I tried it a few months ago and it was pretty good. The Cult IPA came in at number 15.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

ALES vs LAGERS

I was talking to a couple of mates in the pub recently & we were discussing the difference between Ales & Lagers, it seems the average person doesn't really know, sure if you are a brewer, you would have a better understanding than most, but some people seem to think it is the different yeast involved or the type of grain used.

All of these factors do play a part but when I told them I could start drinking an Ale after 3-5 days in the keg they were amazed.

We all know about the different fermenting temperatures, yeast & the process of cold crashing/filtering & storage-lagering but lagers are more complex & take more time.

I personally prefer Ales, but I enjoy most better-known Lagers apart from the 'crafty' overload in our bottle shops.

As far as brewing I would much prefer to stick with Pales/IPA/XPA/APA etc.

What are your thoughts.

https://renegadebrewing.com/ale-vs-lager/

I don't know about lagers being more complex, unless you are talking about being more complex to make, or to make well. Lagers are renowned their cleanness and crispness. Even dark lagers retain that cleanness and crispness.

I'm a big fan of English Ales. Flavour wise they definitely venture into complex territory. But I'm seasonal, heavier stuff for the cooler months, lighter stuff when it's warm.

As far as brewing goes I'm just finding my feet. So far, no preference.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I don't know about lagers being more complex, unless you are talking about being more complex to make, or to make well. Lagers are renowned their cleanness and crispness. Even dark lagers retain that cleanness and crispness.

I'm a big fan of English Ales. Flavour wise they definitely venture into complex territory. But I'm seasonal, heavier stuff for the cooler months, lighter stuff when it's warm.

As far as brewing goes I'm just finding my feet. So far, no preference.

Yes, they are destined to be clear, that is the idea, however maybe intricate would have been a better word.

The outcome is the same, the creation of beer. In ales the yeast is busier meaning the time to make beer is shorter whereas lagers the process is slower & can take another 4 weeks to become beer.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Next up was the "Newy Pale Ale". Nah. Too much hops. Nice try but for me didn't work.

IMG_7617.JPG

IMG_7618.PNG

Last one last night was the "Young American IPA". It was d........g. Could have sucked on some hop pellets instead. It was so hoppy that it tasted nearly oily. Some people might like it, but I like to drink beer and not a hop extract

IMG_7619.JPEG

IMG_7620.JPEG

Just now I had a stout. I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately I didn't like it. Why would you put so much hops into a stout, it defies the purpose of a stout. No maltiness, no sweetness. Just hop flavor, not nice

IMG_7621.JPEG

IMG_7622.JPEG

I get you there, mate. In this competitive industry I guess sometimes brewers try a little to hard to impress to their own detriment 🤔

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good Paley, I like all of their beers so far, haven't tried that one yet. 

It's a great place to visit but it is the drive home that can be a problem. 🛻

Thats when you take the ring route bus ol chop and sneak a pub or two on the way home.

• Haha 2

The second brewery I visited in Newcastle was Modus Brewing, who where literally around the corner from the Clinic. Again a very nice interior, bright, sunny and spacious with lot's off real trees and shrubs on the inside. Enjoyed their beers quiet a bit more than Foghorn's, but nothing really hit the spot for me. Maybe it's a seasonal thing, as I really enjoy my darker brews in the moment. Wouldn't really buy them again. 

IMG_7623.JPG

IMG_7629.JPG

• Like 2