Coopers Community

Brew No.2 - Bootmakers?

Lab Cat

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Lab Rat.

The following sounds exactly like what you are after.

Coopers DIY recipe: Battleship Bitter 

On a side note Coopers, I knew the recipe I was after to link to for this post, but it took me forever to find it using your new website "Filter" system. IMHO, your older list based recipe format was far easier to use & access.

Cheers, that does sound good, that's easy enough or me.

I too found the recipe section not very user friendly. I'd like to be able to filter by type and ease of brewing. Quite a few I fancied were at the expert level and too involved for me to think about right now.

Hi Joeb7.

2 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

What's the rule of thumb on temp for 2nd bottle ferment? I've been told above 18C is a must but over 25C will spoil it. Can I 2nd ferment cooler but for longer?

The operating temperature of the yeast strain dictates what it is comfortable fermenting sugars at. There is a zone each yeast strain works well in. When you select a strain to ferment your beer, understand this "working zone" as it primarily influences the flavours created in your primary ferment, & gives the ability to actively ferment the secondary sugars you add to carbonate the beer in what is considered "secondary fermentation".

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Lab Rat.

The following sounds exactly like what you are after.

Coopers DIY recipe: Battleship Bitter 

On a side note Coopers, I knew the recipe I was after to link to for this post, but it took me forever to find it using your new website "Filter" system. IMHO, your older list based recipe format was far easier to use & access.

I'm a persist bastard in areas like this, but others aren't quite as vigilant. I think you understand what I am trying to convey with those comments. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I 100% agree with this. Coopers, the new recipe section is shit house.

8 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

What's the rule of thumb on temp for 2nd bottle ferment? I've been told above 18C is a must but over 25C will spoil it. Can I 2nd ferment cooler but for longer?

It's a time vs temperature thing. Over 25 won't automatically spoil it but the warmer the beer is kept, the quicker it goes stale. For example, a beer kept at 20C will go stale twice as fast as one at 10C; one at 30C twice as fast as one at 20C. If they're kept over 40 degrees they could end up stale in under a week.

However, if you keep them around 18 or the low 20s, you won't have any problems. Most cats drink their beer long before any chance of them going shite happens anyway.

Probably just the different yeast strain, but it's not a Coopers pale, it's an American style pale. Some strains compact better than others, although you probably wouldn't expect it to be too compacted after only a week. Once they've been in there a couple more weeks then in the fridge it'll probably be less easily disturbed.

Archived