Coopers Community

Brew No.2 - Bootmakers?

Lab Cat

Hi all

Waiting for my Lager to carbonate properly - could be another 2 weeks, so thinking about getting another one going. I fancy trying the Bootmakers Pale Ale. Has anyone tried it and have an opinion? Looking for something with body and flavour. I like the Coopers regular pale, but hoping to find something with a bit more going on.

Also wondering why the Bootmaker says to brew with 1.5kg of LDM (3 boxes) instead of the brew enhancers?

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey LABRAT

36 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Also wondering why the Bootmaker says to brew with 1.5kg of LDM (3 boxes) instead of the brew enhancers?

Thanks

It's because Coopers are reading your mind.

37 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Looking for something with body and flavour. I like the Coopers regular pale, but hoping to find something with a bit more going on.

I think you will find  going with the Bootmakers and 1.5kg of LDM will take you where you are wanting to go. The LDM is going to give you the body and a truer malt flavour, while the Bootmakers will have a bit more going on being that it is the American Style.  I brewed it and I liked it.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Im looking at doing the same thing for my second  brew too. Looks like we are both at about the same stage as i have my first brew (lager) conditioning now aswell. I was going to go with the Coopers recepe for the Celebration Ale, I love my Pale Ale and realy enjoy the Celebration Ale also. Bootmakers with 1.5kg Amber malt extract and 1kg Dextrose. Dry hop with 25gm Nelson Sauvin and 25gm Centennial.

7 hours ago, Sion Di 13 said:

Bootmakers with 1.5kg Amber malt extract and 1kg Dextrose.

Don't add the whole 1kg dextrose by mistake. That's what I did instead of reading the recipe carefully. Would have been much tastier with the correct amount. 

Cheers, 

John

8 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Don't add the whole 1kg dextrose by mistake. That's what I did instead of reading the recipe carefully. Would have been much tastier with the correct amount. 

Cheers, 

John

Is it a Toucan without the extra brew can? 

I called into a brew shop for a few things, hoping to pick this up too. They didn't have any, and weren't that impressed by anything from Coopers. They also sell Black Rock, which will be reduced for dads day soon. Anyone got an opinion on this?

I also mentioned the flatness of the Lager I'm waiting on, and another home brewer was there who'd had the same issue. He hasn't found the drops work very well at all, and had been recommended to use 2 teaspoons of sugar or dextrose instead.

20 minutes ago, LabRat said:

They didn't have any, and weren't that impressed by anything from Coopers. They also sell Black Rock, which will be reduced for dads day soon. Anyone got an opinion on this?

Coopers don’t have a world wide following due to their lack of quality. 

I also mentioned the flatness of the Lager I'm waiting on, and another home brewer was there who'd had the same issue. He hasn't found the drops work very well at all, and had been recommended to use 2 teaspoons of sugar or dextrose instead.

22 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I personally don’t like the drops so I use white sugar. I find it carbonates quicker at the same temps. But use the measure spoons you can get from your LHBS rather than teaspoons as a measurement 

captain

There is approximately 4.5g sugar in a teaspoon. Using two will equate to 9g per 750ml (assuming that is the bottle size) or 12g per litre.

That is some heavy duty carbonation right there. I hope he has strong bottles and likes fizzy beer.

I generally use one teaspoon of white sugar in my 640ml bottles to achieve the equivalent of 7g per litre.

One and a quarter teaspoons of white sugar in a 750ml bottle would be better.

40 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I called into a brew shop for a few things, hoping to pick this up too. They didn't have any, and weren't that impressed by anything from Coopers. They also sell Black Rock, which will be reduced for dads day soon. Anyone got an opinion on this?

Get it here for $19 at Dan Murphy's with free shipping to metro areas or here  at Big W for $18.40

I think it's something to consider. I'm still waiting on my Lager, and it could be weeks before I know whether it's carbonated or ever will.  It's had nearly 3 weeks, tried one the other day and nothing has changed yet from a week ago.

8 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I think it's something to consider. I'm still waiting on my Lager, and it could be weeks before I know whether it's carbonated or ever will.  It's had nearly 3 weeks, tried one the other day and nothing has changed yet from a week ago.

What temp have you got them at? If its cool it will take longer for the ale yeast. Around 20c is optimal if you can keep them at that.

Like Otto,I have never had a problem.

I'm just back to home brewing after a long break & have made many of Coopers' varieties in the past with never a problem with carbonation drops,regadless of brand.

I put down the Lager, which came with the kit, last January & sampled one after 3 weeks.The top came off with the usual gentle "fhst",the taste was a bit bit raw but was vastly improved after 4 moths which is how long I always leave my beer to improve before consuming.

I followed up with two batches of APA made with LDM & they have both aged well....good carbonation, thick creamy head & smooth flavoursome malty finish.

I bottled another APA two weeks ago & a Sparkling Ale yesterday.All with carbonation drops....my brew shop carries a few different brands.

A batch of Amber Ale is going down tomorrow.I'm taking the opportunity to use the colder weather to stock up.I prefer to brew in winter as it is easier to keep it warm than battling summer heat.

I'm using both plastic & glass Coopers bottles & find no difference with the beer. 

I use table sugar and bulk prime, it is the easiest way by far and I feel it is more accurate for specific carbonation levels.

I have used BlackRock stuff a lot, I like their ultra light lme for some styles. One of my quick keg fillers is a coopers cerveza pimped out and hopped to high heaven it is quick cheap and tasty. So I dont have a preference. Freshness is key for all the kits.

I hope your lager carbs up and is tasty Labrat.

Norris

I'm about to bottle within the next week & will do a 50/50 drops vs sugar on a canadian blonde.

Ummm...on 2nd thoughts may take more than a week as I'm doing a 15-16C ferment & only a week in FV. Until then "Let the Debate Rage"

Yeah it will push up the ABV,  as for dry hopping it's as easy as throwing in the hop pellets for the last 5-7 days in your fermenter. Choose whatever hops suit the style. American pale try citra, cascade, centennial, galaxy or my fav mosaic. Some people will use hop bags, I put them in as is. I find they settle and I get few bits when bottled. 

Just did a side by side tasting of my latest brew that's almost ready for drinking at 33 days in PET. 

one longneck primed with 2 coopers carb drops 

the other longneck with dextrose using the measure thingy from my LHBS. 

The one with Coopers carb drops is heaps nicer than the one with dextrose, very noticeable difference in taste.

Coopers drops more sweeter and better hop flavors/aromas.

Dextrose a lot drier taste and takes away from the hops.

Both have the same level of carbonation and head retention just different taste..

Cheers, Lee

That's interesting since both dextrose and carb drops fully ferment out and should theoretically produce the same outcome. Can't say I noticed a difference between them but I never did any side by side tests either. I still prefer the flavour from kegs carbonated with the CO2 cylinder though, it's cleaner.

Decreasing volume will increase ABV but will also increase bitterness and intensify the malt flavour. Give it a go, it may well turn out to your liking.

Archived