Coopers Community

Vanilla

Hairy

Yeah i'm only just reading about that now Fergy but i already purchased 2 beans so i may as well use them now.

I'll put this brew down in the next couple of weeks, i'll try 1 or 2 after a few weeks and let the rest age, i'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Hoppy

22 hours ago, Hairy said:

Some people just throw them in but most soak them in vodka or bourbon. I soaked mine in Scotch Whisky because it was what I had on hand.

I used two beans in my stout but I should have used three. In a big flavoursome stout it can easily get overshadowed. I didn't want an 'in your face' vanilla experience but it was probably a little too subtle. It also faded fairly quickly in the keg. I will be trying a bottled version on Friday night so it will be interesting to see how it held up.

Did you split the beans prior to soaking them in the whisky? How long did you soak the bean(s) in the whisky Hairy? & did you pour the whisky liquid you'd soaked the bean(s) in, also into the beer?

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Did you split the beans prior to soaking them in the whisky? How long did you soak the bean(s) in the whisky Hairy? & did you pour the whisky liquid you'd soaked the bean(s) in, also into the beer?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yep, I split the beans. I soaked them for around two days and poured the liquid in also.

The vanilla was noticeable at first but faded quickly in the keg.

Well if you do fail to get vanilla flavour out of the process all is not lost, depending on what whisky you used. A dash of whisky in your beer can be really nice.... A touch of Laphroaig in a big hoppy IPA for example is really nice. So if it's something suited to the style of beer it can be good. 

Cheers, 

John

9 hours ago, Hairy said:

Yep, I split the beans. I soaked them for around two days and poured the liquid in also.

The vanilla was noticeable at first but faded quickly in the keg.

I'm not a fan of this soaking in scotch/bourbon/rum deal. If you're adding them like a dry hop, then you're adding them into an alcoholic environment just as you are to the scotch/bourbon/rum scenario. The beer is already safe, there is no need to make it "safer". I'm not entirely sure of the affects of high ABV% liqueur on something aromatic like vanilla in such a short period of exposure time & what influence that has over dispersal into a lower alcohol & malted beer environment if in fact it has any. Just for the fact numerous people are unhappy with the outcome of using this process tells me maybe there is something negative to it.

Chad was spot on with his advice to commando the vanilla beans & oak chips for that matter (IMHO). The beers I've made following his approach with ingredients like this have had terrific influence & enduring flavours attributed to these ingredients.

I miss his input & candour on the forum. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I just listened to a podcast that was talking about biotranformation and the subject of vanilla came up. They said that one part of the process takes some chemicals from, like Christina said, lightly toasted wood and the yeast changes a chemical in to a nice vanilla. I believe it is around the 38 to 40 minute mark. They also went on to explain how the biotranformation grabs different flavours from the hops

Norris

Archived