Coopers Community

Bootmakers Pale - hop suggestions?

G’day all,

Looking for hop suggestions for Bootmakers Pale Ale...have done versions with citra; galaxy; combine of Amarillo/simcoe - wondering if anyone has other suggestions?

Cheers

• 4 months later...
On 5/19/2018 at 12:54 AM, karlos_1984 said:

I just bottled a bootmaker with a dry hop of 40g mosaic and 70g centennial. I'll let u know how it turns out

Updating an old post. The beer I made above turned out shit. The hop sock hadn't been sanitised and it threw a heap of off flavours into the beer. I still drank it out of stubbornness though. Was a waste of hops.

I just bottled another bootmaker last week with 40g dry hop of Citra (commando). The leftover sample tasted awesome. Should hopefully be a cracking beer.

23 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Updating an old post. The beer I made above turned out shit. The hop sock hadn't been sanitised and it threw a heap of off flavours into the beer. I still drank it out of stubbornness though. Was a waste of hops.

I just bottled another bootmaker last week with 40g dry hop of Citra (commando). The leftover sample tasted awesome. Should hopefully be a cracking beer.

Bad luck Karlos. Waste not, want not.

Just bottled my TC Bootmaker Pale Ale today after 2 weeks in the FV. I went down the Mosaic Hop pathway 50g in the end. Dry Hopped. Smelt great, toffee/citrus aromas. Went short and ended with a ABV of 6.7%. This Bootmaker has sure got some kick!!

Will post up how the taste test goes in about two weeks or so.

I sampled one of mine the other night after just a week in the bottle. Wasn't overly carbed up bit it's still young. Tasted awesome, could really smell and taste the Citra. Happy with the result. I bottled some prior to dry hopping for comparison, and although they taste fine as is, it's much better with the Citra hops added. 

Hey Karlos

That is interesting.  I haven't noticed much variation within a batch.  There probably should not be from bottle to bottle.  If there is it might relate to the bottle or how it was treated/cleaned/sanitised.

Between batches, yes.  I am just sipping on the last of the second basic English Bitter I did.  The first version was better, probably due to a mistake, of brewing it in full summer, without temperature control when the outside temp was around 40° and the brew temp around 25°.  The warmer temps produced banana flavours and aroma, which added to the first batch.  The second batch was done cooler, but has turned out a little more bitter.  (Is that irony?)

Yeah I dunno what it is. The 2 stubbies I tried were the very last beer out of the bottom of the bottling vessel. The majority of the batch was put into longnecks so I guess I'll see how they turn out. The stubbies were a last minute thing as I didn't think there was enough to bottle another longnecks toward the end, so the stubbies were just rinsed quickly then given a quick hit of starsan. I'm pretty thorough with cleaning n sanitising so see what happens.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, YeastyBoy said:

Bad luck Karlos. Waste not, want not.

Just bottled my TC Bootmaker Pale Ale today after 2 weeks in the FV. I went down the Mosaic Hop pathway 50g in the end. Dry Hopped. Smelt great, toffee/citrus aromas. Went short and ended with a ABV of 6.7%. This Bootmaker has sure got some kick!!

Will post up how the taste test goes in about two weeks or so.

In a word "Lush". Could not wait the full 2 weeks, pleased to say would brew again so long as I can score the extract tin on special for $16.

Archived