Coopers Community

Nelson Sauvin Saison

The Captain!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I checked another brew gravity today. It was a little high.

I rechecked my hydrometer against water and it’s two points out. So the saison is 2 points lower.

Still tastes like some residual sweetness there so don’t know how good the testing is.

Either way. I’m happy as.

Chilled today along with the other brew and wil pack on Monday

• 2 weeks later...

So I cracked one open today.

Amazing beer.

Can definitely taste the Nelson, some floral notes from the Styrian goldings and Saaz.

Fair bit of spice and only a tiny bit of funk from the yeast. It’s quite complex actually.

Sensational beer.

Cheers,

Captain

• 2 weeks later...

I realised I never came back into this thread to post my results.

At the two week mark the saison tasted incredibly alcoholic, very funky and TBH not very nice and not to my tastes.

Fast forward a couple more weeks to the 4 week mark and it was a different beer! The alcohol heat had melded nicely, the yeast influence had calmed down (but still evidently there as a Belgian farmhouse yeast) allowing the Nelson to peek through. It's not overly hoppy, but the flavour of Nelson is there.

I'm drinking this beer regularly as my NZ pils is still conditioning and my next brew the Oatmeal XPA is still in the fermenter. The saison is a great table beer to accompany dinner, and for afterwards too. It is strong, 7.25% but doesn't drink like a high ABV beer. Which is a bit dangerous! I've brought some of my friends from the "unsure" territory to "like it" with this beer.

Great recipe Ben and I will brew one of these in the future again.

Glad ya like it joolbag and that with all that alcohol it’s calmed down cause damn that’s a big saison.

I too have had friends that are unsure about farmhouse ale really dig this beer.

I’ll have this on regular brew days for summer.

Cheers

Captain

It is strong' date=' 7.25% but doesn't drink like a high ABV beer. Which is a bit dangerous! I've brought some of my friends from the "unsure" territory to "like it" with this beer.

Great recipe Ben and I will brew one of these in the future again.

[/quote']

Lol at the ABV!

I'll put one down soon but not at that level.

I was aiming for something around 6% ben10' date=' but the yeast chewed through the 1.054 wort and attenuated 95%! If I use the same yeast I will brew to a lower OG[/quote']

Yep, gotta be careful of that with saison strains. What seems like it should be a moderate gravity beer can very quickly become fairly strong as the attenuate. That's why I aimed in the low to mid 1.040s for all the saisons I brewed this summer past. The beauty of the saison strains is that even if the OG and FG is fairly low, they have a decent mouthfeel and malt presence.

Cheers,

John

Definitely will aim for a 1.045 OG for my next saison. I’d rather it be lower ABV than off the chart high.

I am impressed by the mangrove Jack's dry saison yeast. I will try some of the other strains in time, but would definitely recommend the French saison dry strain given my sample size of one! Very drinkable and not too funky which was what I was aiming for.

• 1 month later...

Down today,

In the FV=
1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1.7kg MJ Bavarian wheat
500g LDM
25g Nelson Sauvin hop Pellets infused in 500ml boiled water 15mins, strained.
10g MJ29 French Saison Dry Yeast, re hydrated at 36'c 30mins.
Stopped at 20L volume as it was SG1058 so should finish up around 6.4%, worried if I went to 23L ABV would be to low.

30g Nelson Sauvin hop Pellets to dry hop.

Question is the Coopers Recipe says start ferment at 24'c, finish at 20'c, Yeast asks for 26-32"c, Ill start at 26'c, any thoughs on what to finish at, all my other brews I increase the temp 2-4'c after a day or 2 not drop it!

Thanks for all the replys fellas,

12 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Everything I’ve read about saison yeast strains is to start cool and Let is free rise up.  Obviously a little hard in winter so start cool around 20 then after day two start to warm it up, finishing on day 5 around 26-27.

Captain

Also a little hard to let to do what it want in a temp controlled brew fridge, don't you think 20 is to low for the yeast though?, the temp range on the pack seems to be generic for MJ mind.

Think Ill back it off to 24'C & see how its looking at the weekend, aiming to raise to 27'C, the Wheat beer I just made with MJ's yeast was pretty much done in 5 days though.

Not necessarily. You can set the controller to like 30 degrees or something and it will keep the fridge off allowing the brew to free rise. I agree it might not work as well in winter without some sort of heat source though.

I figured Saison might be a bit different to other "normal" ales. Raising the temp after 1-2 days is a bit early for those beers in my mind. 

The yeast will ferment at that range fine and will finish your beer with no real bad phenols thrown from the heat so your beer will taste great, it’s just better to have it lower to start. I’m not suggesting your beer will be bad at all.

The lower the temp to start you get “better” tasting yeast flavours you get, But hey it’s only beer and it will turn out sensational I have no doubt. 

I, like Ben, are massive fans of saison. And my Nelson Saison was absolutely delicious and will be in the menu come spring. 

Mike, I hope she’s a beauty for ya.

Captain

Good point Otto, could increase the DT settings & let the Wort do what it wants but have the HT set to allow the fridge to prevent it going to crazy.

Interesting to know about starting low, so that's just for Saison yeast - don't recall reading that Idea before on the forum, also as this is half Wheat & half ale do you cold crash a saison?

Starting low is good for any yeast. Pitch about a degree or two below intended fermentation temp and let it come up on its own.

It's not always possible to get the wort down to that sort of temp though. I struggle with it in the warmer weather because it's just in cubes and sits at room temperature. When I have room in the brew fridge I usually put them in there for a few hours prior to pitching but it doesn't often drop below fermentation temp.

1 hour ago, Mikes15 said:

also as this is half Wheat & half ale do you cold crash a saison?

Saison is typically a little hazy but yes, cold crash. 

Well I would anyway. I’m cold crashing a stout that you can’t see through ha ha 

Captain

@Mikes15 I havr only brewed one saison and it was this one with this yeast. I started at18 for 2 days and then let it free rise (in summer) and it got to 24C.

Reading the packet I ramped it up 2C each day and finished at 30-31C. m29 attenuated to near 1.000 so it was a 7.2% beer after carbonation!

Would do it again like this with this yeast. Had a great flavour with a touch of funk, but not overly. I don't like my saisons too horse-like. This yeast suits my palate perfectly at this temp schedule 

Whilst its still very mucky the sample has the strangest tang of any beer ive made, almost sour / Herby.

going to leave it at 24'c for now, seems to be happy enough, still got a good Krausen.

Archived