Coopers Community

Nelson Sauvin Saison

The Captain!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

been holding 1007 for 3 days now so just dry hopped, will give it 1 more day then C/Crash it for a bit.

Ended up leaving it at 24'C since it was fermenting well.

looking like 6.7% with 87% attenuation.

What a difference a cold crash & dry hop has made,

The sour, lip smacking sharp citrus has all but gone leaving a smooth slightly citrus wheat bear / ale with a very clean white wine after taste & a semi dry grape like finish, bloody lovely even uncarbonated!

Prob wont get to bottle this until either Fri aft or Sat so bit longer than Id hoped but sure it will be fine, will take the hops out tomorrow if there still floating just in-case it gets grassy.

Being as this used the same Mangrove Jacks Bavarian wheat kit my current Wai-iti wheat was based on i have to say I'm very impressed with the result that kit base seems to give.

• 3 weeks later...

Well its done,,,,

Obv not that well conditioned yet, certainly not the 3-4months they would get traditionally between brewing to harvest time!

I have to say its the strangest beer I think Ive ever tried & not in a bad way, Carbonation is spot on, smooth & foamy but not fizzy - no bubbling.

Has a serious amount of Banana aroma as you go to take a swig, that follows suit with a full banana flavour with a citrus back drop - I make a baked banana custard by mashing banana with a little sugar, nutmeg & lime juice into the bottom of a casserole dish, covering with bread crumbs then the egg custard mixture, the combination of the baked mash part is almost exactly the same flavour as the beer!!

After that it has what I find to be the typical alcohol taste you get from a +6% beer, but finishes with a clean dry, possibly white wine note.

Not going to be a session beer, but defiantly will be a talking point.

20180720_192324 (Medium).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Still loving this beer, to the point that theres not much left!!

Have to say though I'm amazed at the residue / haze / odour its leaving in the bottles, even piping hot water wont shift it, luckily my bottles are over due a good soak / clean up so will be giving them an over night in bleach then sodium perc if still not ok.

Funny you say that Mike. I beer swap with a mate of mine.

gave him two swing top bottles of my saison. He drank them and refilled them with a pale ale from his keg.

when I popped the top it was very highly carbonated and had that unmistakable saison funk! The beer in some other bottles he gave me was fine.

so a very resisilent yeast or a mate who is a bit lax with bottle washing, or both!

This is exactly why I always use a iodine based cleaner to kill any saison strain. Most saison strains have diastaticus in them meaning if you want to store a beer for a while the yeast will break down the longer chain sugars and then you’ll have massive gushers

These two gushed. Weren’t in the bottle for long, so that yeast acted fast.

interestingly, the other 38 or so bottles from this saison batch that stayed in my brewery and were flushed with hot water, triple rinsed after pouring out the beer have not presented any saison traits in the beers that followed. I don’t use iodine based sanitiser, just starsan. Perhaps my bottle rinsing is thorough and hot enough

Anyone else had persistent saison strains in their brewery? I have to admit I haven't taken any precautions to quarantine my gear and separate a fermenter, bottles, etc just for saison.

I have read with Brettanomyces to not let it touch any part of your non-Brett brewery. It is persistent and resilient. Never used that yeast tho

54 minutes ago, joolbag said:

Anyone else had persistent saison strains in their brewery? I have to admit I haven't taken any precautions to quarantine my gear and separate a fermenter, bottles, etc just for saison.

I have read with Brettanomyces to not let it touch any part of your non-Brett brewery. It is persistent and resilient. Never used that yeast tho

Definitely Brett will do that. And will continue to last for pretty much ever ha ha ha

The persistant one I had was Belle. After that I took no chances of it coming through in another beer.

Luckily I only bottled a few that had the belle in previous. The taste never come through but got gushers after about 12 weeks in the bottle. 

Then after doing some reading on Saison strains I found out about the diastaticus strain. It may not be that pertinent in a homebrew level especially if you go through ya beer quickly. So I may be going a bit over the top. 

I want to at some stage age some beer and I don’t want to go through gushers at the end of a 12 month plus wait for it, That would be terrible. 

Captain 

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well hot water does kill yeast...

Im getting dirty residue, possibly from dead yeast, lining the sides & stick to the bottom of the bottles.

The PET I filled with cold water & 1 cap bleach over night is now as clean as a new one, the amount of loose residue it had ripped off was INSANE, Ill have to take a couple of before & aft pics next one I do!

Squeaky clean.  I use glass and perhaps it is smoother or less likely to get micro scratches and the yeast/hop oil, etc can't stick to it as well.  It takes a pretty dirty bottle for me to crack out the Napisan!  Hot water rinse normally gets them crystal clear

Archived