Coopers Community

Nelson Sauvin Saison

The Captain!!

Well, what would have been in the fermenter today, due to the long weekend and the brew shop closing early on Saturday, when I was about to pick up my yeast. Well I missed the boat by about 30 mins, it was closed for the weekend.

I’m pretty guttered but the silver lining is I’ll get to monitor the fermentation process.

I go but to work tomorrow and will be back in a weeks time.

I’ll “open ferment” this one. I’ll place a sanitised piece of Ali foil over the top of the airlock with no water in it and monitor how low it gets it over the 6 days. I understand that this yeast kicks ass quickly so looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Take it easy lads and ladies

Captain

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine has been two weeks in the fermenter and as per my schedule it has been sitting at 32C with no drop in temp.

OG = 1.054.

FG = 1.002!

I used Mangrove Jacks M29 French Saison yeast. I’m mighty surprised and impressed that it has managed to attain 96% attenuation.

It’s likely done but am going to leave for a few more days and then bottle in my strongest glass bottles, carbonated to 3.0vols CO2

Yum! Thanks for recipe Ben 10

I fancy giving one a go to but would be either kit or extract,

Any thoughts on doing the Coopers recipe but with Nelson in place of the Saaz, would 25g still tick the box?

https://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/58/

Sounds nice an easy which after a couple of not so amazing multi hop & higher cost brews floats my boat!

Alternatively any extract versions worth a pop?

Mikes15, I think Nelson in place of Saaz is fine. I found with mine that the yeast brings A LOT to the table and overwhelms any late hop additions. I can barely taste the 50g Nelson in my brew. Seems there is a lot of variation in the saison yeast varieties, so it will depend on what you use.

Give it a shot and if you like it, brew it again and change the recipe. I'm liking mine so far, but it is strong!!!

I actually forgot to put my recipe up. Sorry about that.

For those that are interested.

25l batch BIAB

Est 5.44%

Est OG 1.047

Est FG 1.005

29 IBU’s

0.15kg Acidulated

4kg Pilsner

0.8kg Vienna

0.4kgWheat

FWA 20g Styrian goldings

10mins 20g Saaz

Whirlpool steep 15 mins 50g Nelson Sauvin

5 tsp yeast nutrient

1 White labs saison yeast 2 #566

Cheers,

Captain

• 2 weeks later...

So update on the Nelson Saison.

6 days in and hydro reading is 1.019. I fear this one has stalled. Oh well, I’m off to work tomorrow for the week, I’m guessing I’ll just see what it’s like when I get back. If I have to I’ll hit it with some US-05 to finish it off.

The sample tasted amazing though, just a little sweet.

Cheers,

Captain

Cap'n,

Im about 40 brews behind Ben 10 for saisons (my tally = 1) but I did a bit of reading before I brewed. Saison yeasts don't like to be cold. So I suspect it has gone to sleep and needs temp raised. Whack a heat belt on. Asap

So after having a bit of a think on the plane up to work, I’m thinking maybe not enough oxygen for the yeast to multiply along with lower temps is the cause of the stalling.

I’ll have a bit more of a think but depending on what the reading is when I get back I’ll repitch another packet of saison 2 after a we bit of a stir up to get some oxygen in the wort.

I want to harvest the yeast so don’t want to taint it with US05 of anything similar. Or just say bugger it and harvest the next lot I do with the same yeast?

Anyways, I’ve got a bit to think about when I get back.

Cheers

Captain

Hi Captain

I've tried to rescue a stalled beer in the past, it was an american pale ale verging on IPA territory with an OG of 1.060. it stalled at 1.023, or 1.020. I can't remember exactly.

I don't recommend adding oxygen at this point. I gave mine a good stir and shake to rouse the yeast cake and I oxidised my beer. It never recovered from this. and I ended up tipping the batch as it was oxidised and infected after my attempts to get it to ferment (FWIW I got it down to 1.017 with a repitch of yeast at high krausen).

You could do what I did and create a starter of Saison yeast and pitch it at high krausen into the stalled beer. That will give your yeast the best chance of surviving the pitch into an alcoholic wort/beer. Some others recommend the addition of ghost yeast cells to kick start it.

Hey Joolbag,

Adding oxygen at this time is my predicament.

I kinda figure that if I brewed a beer at 1.020 I would still oxygenate the wort but yes the risk of contamination is high.

Or just pitch a dry yeast as they have all the oxygen they need.

Hmmm what to do. Probably the later.

Or wait it out.

Cheers

Captain

Well today is the day I find out the fate of this beer.

It’s been 8 days in ambient temps, probably around 24ish area.

The airlock with the tiniest amount of water looks like it has some pressure on it.

I’ll take the young fella to school then check the reading.

Man I hope it’s closer to terminal.

Captain

Glad to hear captain!

i plugged your numbers into an attenuation calculator. 1.047 down to 1.009 = 80% apparent attenuation.

Which looks smack bang in the middle for the yeast that you used (78-85%)

I'd be happy with that and bottling it too.

Cheers

Jools

Glad to hear captain!

i plugged your numbers into an attenuation calculator. 1.047 down to 1.009 = 80% apparent attenuation.

Which looks smack bang in the middle for the yeast that you used (78-85%)

I'd be happy with that and bottling it too.

Cheers

Jools

Hey Jools,

Thanks for that. I’ve never bothered about knowing the attenuation but in this case it’s great to know.

Not as dry as I’d probably like it to be but still very happy it got to that. The residual sweetness is actually quite nice in the sample.

I’m stoked it’s turned out. Can’t wait to taste with bubbles.

Cheers

Captain

Mine was bottled exactly two weeks ago but I am showing enormous restraint and not trying it until tomorrow night. I have a rule that don't drink the night before a bike ride.

They are most definitely carbonated and I will chill one down to try tomorrow. Actually I might not get to try it until Friday. I will report back as soon as I try it!

Captn from what I have read you can choose the saison yeast for the final result you are trying to achieve. Mine attenuated 95% so it's a high ABV brew and very dry finish. Your yeast sounds like it gives a fuller finish and a lower ABC from the same wort. And it appears there are a lot of differences in the flavors that the yeast contribute. Ben10 knows them all I bet!

Archived