Coopers Community

Australian Pale Ale (higher ABV)

After a few batches of dog piss, i'd like to do a proper beer.

Will pick up a aussie pale ale kit. Are there any calcs online to work out how much sugar to add to achieve about 6.5% abv? I'll be using table granulated sugar not a brew enhancer kit or brewing sugar. Thanks.

Also, what kind of attenuation can i expect after 1 week of fermentation. My current batch of Canadian blonde only had 25% attenuation after 7 days (the kit was 6 years old but added new yeast). Ambient temps inside are exactly 20c.

I don't think it's actually possible to take a can and simply table sugar up to 6.5 % ABV and have it taste anything other than watery , high octane prison hooch

A can and 1.7 kg of sugar will get you 6.5 % in the bottle and most likely taste bloody awful

If you want it to taste better then use a can + 1 kg of light dry malt and a kg of sugar but you will need more yeast than whats in the can

As for time it'll take as long as it takes depending on yeast health and pitching rates

I'd guess 2-2.5kg or so of sugar would get it up to that range of ABV but it will taste like absolute shit, no doubt about that. If you want to do a "proper beer", ditch the sugar entirely and use malt extract in its place. You can still get the ABV up there but it will taste a hell of a lot better than sugar. Of course, if you do this you will need more yeast than what comes with the kit, so you'll either have to buy more yeast, or make up a 1L or so mini wort with 100g dry malt extract, re-hydrate the yeast and pitch it into that, shaking it whenever possible.

• Like 1

After a few batches of dog piss' date=' i'd like to do a proper beer...

...I'll be using table granulated sugar...

...the kit was 6 years old...[/quote']

My head hurts.

Combined with the previous topic from the OP, I think the troll is strong in this one.

• Haha 1

i made a galaxy pale ale using the following

1 x APA can

1 x 1.5kg Light dry malt (3 x 500g boxes)

2 x coopers kit yeasts

galaxy hops.

It is around 5.4% and tastes good. Id find anymore sugar or chance to push up the % would make it taste too strong and not good.

About 4.6-5% give or take. I think the issue is not so much possible trolling but that almost all the regular active members on here have zero interest in putting a heap of table sugar in with a kit and turning it into cat piss, so most of the advice you will get is to drastically reduce the amount of sugar in favor of malt extract which will result in a far better tasting beer.

You can make higher ABV beers without using a crapton of table sugar, and the results are far nicer to drink. As I said in another thread, I don't mind getting on the sauce a bit on the weekends, but I still want to enjoy the taste of the drinks that get me there. Each to their own though...

I did a 23L batch with 1kg sugar, after 3 months in the bottle, it actually improved a great deal, however I don't believe it would ever become a great beer.

Although if you actually enjoy New/VB/XXXX and the like, then maybe you would like the taste.

The problem is the green apple taste, I forget the word for this, diacetyl? Anyway, I remember cracking one open when it was around 6 weeks in the bottle, as it was an unmarked bottle, and I had previously made cider, I wasn't sure if I was drinking beer, or cider with the first few mouthfuls.

I'm happy with the tin and 1kg fermentables, which is malt most of the time, I don't see the point in a high ABV% beer, it's not for me, but if I was going to put that much table sugar into a batch, I'd open the first bottle after 12 months.

Cheers

JP

Try this if you want a nice easy extract beer with flavour...and higher ABV

This will make a nice easy brew

1x 1.7 coopers IPA can

1x 1kg BE3

1x 1.5 coopers light liquid malt

extra yeast such as 2x saf05 rehydrated (ferment @18-20) or 3x kit yeasts

optional added steeped hops such as cascade & galaxy and also dry hopped will go down a treat

I think imaginative hit it on the head...

when i started brewing my beer i was sharing it with people and they all loved it (APA, draught and the larger, all just with be2)

Now i have made some more "crafty style" beers, people arent a huge fan. Most people who drink beer and havent had many "craft style" beers, wont like them. They are happy drinking the Megaswill beers.

The only thing this has done for me tho, is when i go to the pub or to somewhere that does free beer and wine...i get really hungover from drinking the normal stuff and dont enjoy it as much annoyed

I suppose its all about trial and error, so maybe try a APA can and a whole heap of sugar to boost the % up...mighten taste very good to most, but you might like it.

I have a high alc tolerance, until recently worked in Shanghai and would knock back bottles of baijiu 56% almost daily, that is realy foul tasting stuff. Often taste takes 2nd place to speed/cheapness/abv.

Would 1.5kg of table sugar + coopers aussie pale ale be really so bad? I love belgium beers, as i understand it they use a ton of sugar. Buying DME or LDME or brew enhancers defeats the purpose for me as i want cheap alcohol.

I don't bother with the carbonation phase either (yes, i'm an alcoholic). But the first two batches were bad... one was 14% sugar wash with yeast still in suspension, milky and acetone smell, and almost killed me.. wanted to faint/collapse, the 2nd was old coopers and start to drank after 4 days fermentation at 20% attenuation and it tasted like drinking sap from a tree and i've been pissing through my ass literally for days, even now. Understand this approach to brewing might not be in-line with how most people here approach this hobby. I've got an aussie passport and im brewing with coopers kits so i've every right to post here :)

So just want a semi-respectable beer. I'm willing to wait 2 weeks as it'll be my bday then. Raising the bar a little bit.

Stuck between aussie pale ale or real ale. Same price in local shop.

Would 1.5kg of table sugar + coopers aussie pale ale be really so bad?

Yes' date=' it would be a terrible beer

So just want a semi-respectable beer.

If you are ruling out reasonable alcohol level beers based on malt, then no, you don't want a semi-respectable beer.

(yes, i'm an alcoholic).

I say this with all the sincerity and authority that I can muster over the internet: You're in the wrong forum. I think you need help. Please seek help.

I think you'll find that most people in this forum love a good beer, and aren't really interested in making nail polish remover.

Post all you like, this is a free country and you don't seem to be breaking any rules as far as I can tell, just bear in mind, you're probably not going to get the answer that you want.

My advice is, if you insist on going ahead with this much table sugar in a batch, then bottle it and don't touch it for at least 3 months, probably better to leave it for a year, but it doesn't sound like patience is your strong point, and this advice is probably falling on deaf ears.

If that is indeed the case, then I would suggest that maybe this isn't the right hobby for you?

Maybe look into making spirits? Much quicker, I'm sure, I looked into it but I'm not really into drinking spirits anymore.

Cheers

JP

jeezo a year, no chance.

I'll just brew the kit with 1kg sugar, leave it 2 weeks. Fermentation will be complete by then. No carbonation... but it's still beer. The vikings didn't carbonate their drinks. Long as it doesn't make me ill, it's acceptable standard. Distillation is illegal here, i'm in Scotland atm.

We're all adults here. I drink to get drunk... but of course would prefer the nicest brew possible.

“I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me.”

Winston Churchill.

Beefy need not worry. I'm half irish, half polish. Natural born drinker, routine liver tests and all is A OK. Just love the buzz.

I'll just brew the kit with 1kg sugar' date=' leave it 2 weeks. Fermentation will be complete by then. No carbonation... but it's still beer. [/quote']

This is a much better plan than your original one and will be much safer (and better tasting) than what you tried before with the Alcotec. It is a step in the right direction. wink If you are in Scotland then perhaps it won't be hard for you to keep the temp inside the brew bucket 18-20C, and that will help too.

The hardest part about starting brewing is building up a pipeline of stuff to age, but we have all been there. You can do it too. You'll be happy you did when you drink the results. Try to work yourself up to leaving it in the bottle for three weeks (2 wks in fermenter + 3 wks in bottle = 5 wks total), for starters. In time you can work your way up to leaving it the bottle for six weeks; you'll see significant improvement. Try leaving a six pack for six weeks in the bottle. If you don't think the wait is worth it, go back to leaving it three weeks in the bottle.

Belgians use a max of 30% sugar, but that is in high malt brews. Using 1kg of sugar with a kit puts you at 37% sugar.

Cheers,

Christina.

You are entitled to brew and drink whatever you like , at risk of sounding like an alehole the results would make me sick and I'd tip it rather than drink it .

I like many here really like beer so go to extra expense and effort to produce the highest quality I can so can't /won't offer much help in making cheap nasty booze .

Also from memory the forum terms of service stipulate that responsible consumption of alcohol is the aim and advertising / encouraging excess drinking is not permitted .

I did a 23L batch with 1kg sugar' date=' after 3 months in the bottle, it actually improved a great deal, however I don't believe it would ever become a great beer.[/quote']

Agreed, three months would improve it a great deal.

The problem is the green apple taste' date=' I forget the word for this, diacetyl?[/quote']

I think the word you are looking for is acetaldehyde.

Cheers,

Christina.

I'm not advertising or encouraging excessive drinking. So i admit i'm an alcoholic, and described two batches of 'debauchery'. The majority want to spew at my description of it, hardly encouraging. The 2nd batch was 1.6% ABV, hardly excessive. There's always someone who just chomps at the bit to get someone banned. Only thing worse than a troll is a troll hunter. Like a kid at school who tells the teacher that another pupil is in the wrong, for the brownie points.

Back on topic, would the beer be considered 'green' after two weeks? Im guessing its long enough for the yeast to clean up any badness.

Beer being considered green depends on the style of beer. Hoppy pale ales and such are generally best drunk fresh before the hop influence fades away, but other styles take longer to be at their best. Generally though, straight after fermentation it's all considered green.

Belgian beers use candi syrup, which is basically just inverted sugar. It's not quite the same as the supermarket table sugar. Also the yeast they use is responsible for a lot of the flavor in those beers; it's not clean ale yeast like what comes with the kits.

The reason most of us are saying a kit with a ton of table sugar will be shit is because we've done it and tasted it. It is. If as you say you want the nicest beer possible then take the advice to replace most or all of the sugar with malt extract. It's just not possible to make that with a ton of sugar. It's still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it.

I'm not advertising or encouraging excessive drinking. So i admit i'm an alcoholic' date=' and described two batches of 'debauchery'. The majority want to spew at my description of it, hardly encouraging. The 2nd batch was 1.6% ABV, hardly excessive. There's always someone who just chomps at the bit to get someone banned. Only thing worse than a troll is a troll hunter. Like a kid at school who tells the teacher that another pupil is in the wrong, for the brownie points.

Back on topic, would the beer be considered 'green' after two weeks? Im guessing its long enough for the yeast to clean up any badness. [/quote']

It should be okay to bottle at the two week point, provided that the temp was 18-20C and kept stable.

I must say I am in disagreement with some of my brewing brethren who seem to be encouraging you to stop visiting. While I like making my beer as tasty as possible, I also believe in harm reduction. I'd like to see you start making and drinking safer stuff, which I think you have some interest in doing, after your experience almost killing yourself with the Alcotec. Give yourself a chance and you may come to enjoy making your next brew better than your last one. It is probably more enjoyable to get drunk on something that tastes good than something that tastes bad anyway, isn't it?

I'd like to point out that letting beer age does not make it more expensive. It is a cheap way to improve your beer, though it is not suited to all styles. Another cheap way to improve your beer is to add dry hops. Half ounce of something fruity like Cascades, Flaconer's Flight, Citra, or Mosaic is a lovely. But if you use dry hops, you don't want to let it age too long, maybe just a month in the bottle.

As for your liver tests being normal, you look young in your picture. They won't stay that way if you remain an alcoholic. And your liver is not the only thing that can be harmed. Alcohol is also a neurotoxin; it causes brain damage, and you only have so many brain cells to loose, as you can't make new ones. Have you heard of Korsakoff's Syndrome? I used to be a street nurse, worked with homeless people, some of whom were alcoholic. There was one young guy that drank himself into a wheelchair by the time he was forty. I think he is probably dead now. Forty isn't that old really.

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/10report/chap02e.pdf

Cheers,

Christina.

Also from memory the forum terms of service stipulate that responsible consumption of alcohol is the aim and advertising / encouraging excess drinking is not permitted .

Hi egoAIO

It appears that you are enjoying this forum and will continue to seek advice from us. I think you should have a read of the the Forums Terms of Service to make sure what you are posting doesn't result in a warning or a ban.

Particularly points (j), (k) and (m).

I wish you the best in your brewing future. There is a great community on this forum, most helpful individuals and if you ask questions and listen to their advice, you will make good beer.

I did a 23L batch with 1kg sugar' date=' after 3 months in the bottle, it actually improved a great deal, however I don't believe it would ever become a great beer.[/quote']

Agreed, three months would improve it a great deal.

The problem is the green apple taste' date=' I forget the word for this, diacetyl?[/quote']

I think the word you are looking for is acetaldehyde.

Cheers,

Christina.

That's the one, somehow that sounds even more unappealing than diacetyl, whatever diacetyl is.

egoAIO, mate, you love to drink, I can understand that, I used to get stuck right into it when I was a young man with an indestructible liver, now that I'm older, and only slightly wiser, I don't tolerate the hangovers quite so well, some days I'm happy to enjoy just one stubbie, if I have 8 stubbies, that's a reasonably big night for me.

You can't wait, I can appreciate that also, I still don't like waiting at 40 years of age, in fact in some ways I guess I'm more impatient than ever, but I don't mind waiting for the beer, because I don't want to drink piss.

If you want to brew, then get serious about it, buy some cheap booze to get through a few weeks, have 5 or 6 fermenters like I do, batch them all at once, bottle it up, do another 5-6 batches at once, bottle it up.

By the time you get to this point, you will probably have beer that's been bottled for at least 1 week, if you can make it through another week without cracking one, and you plough through a few more batches, then you will have beer that's almost ok, and from there, they will only get better.

Keep batching, build up that stockpile, you will have more than you can possibly drink, and if you keep up the brewing pace they will only improve as you get through them.

Cheers

JP

I must say I am in disagreement with some of my brewing brethren who seem to be encouraging you to stop visiting. While I like making my beer as tasty as possible' date=' I also believe in harm reduction. I'd like to see you start making and drinking safer stuff, which I think you have some interest in doing, after your experience almost killing yourself with the Alcotec. Give yourself a chance and you may come to enjoy making your next brew better than your last one. It is probably more enjoyable to get drunk on something that tastes good than something that tastes bad anyway, isn't it?

I'd like to point out that letting beer age does not make it more expensive. It is a cheap way to improve your beer, though it is not suited to all styles. Another cheap way to improve your beer is to add dry hops. Half ounce of something fruity like Cascades, Flaconer's Flight, Citra, or Mosaic is a lovely. But if you use dry hops, you don't want to let it age too long, maybe just a month in the bottle.

As for your liver tests being normal, you look young in your picture. They won't stay that way if you remain an alcoholic. And your liver is not the only thing that can be harmed. Alcohol is also a neurotoxin; it causes brain damage, and you only have so many brain cells to loose, as you can't make new ones. Have you heard of Korsakoff's Syndrome? I used to be a street nurse, worked with homeless people, some of whom were alcoholic. There was one young guy that drank himself into a wheelchair by the time he was forty. I think he is probably dead now. Forty isn't that old really.

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/10report/chap02e.pdf

Cheers,

Christina. [/quote']

Marry me! Had a feeling you might be a nurse. Just from your knowledge and understanding attitude. Wish more people were like that. Agree with what you say about harm reduction. That alcotec almost did me in. I was in the local supermarket afterwards and thought i'd collapse into nothingness, couldn't walk 20 feet without a rest and fluttering heart. Have Asperger syndrome, so mostly i drink for self medication reasons, social anxiety etc... a bit like medical marijuana. Korsakoff Syndrome, well i take vitamin supplements... i know that drinking washes out electrolytes and B vitamins from the body. Dehydration is the main issue, if on a binge can forget to drink water for days.

I've aged well, actually almost 31yo in 2 weeks, still get ID'd whenever i buy booze or tobacco here. Just good genes, treated my body badly and led a very stressful lifestyle in Asia. God has small mercy's i guess.

I'd like to have several brewing in stages, just can't afford it atm. Am in transition finding new job, so the funds aren't really there atm for that.

Good beer is one of life's best pleasures. Nothing beats an ice cold Amstel in Amsterdam. ATM i have to pinch pennies. I'd add DME if i could.