Coopers Community

3.0 vols CO2 !

BlackSands

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff KR. Looking forward to seeing pics of a gassed up bottle.

You should be able to bench test with some no name soda water to check your seals.

I would imagine you will need some good silicone washers, maybe flat washers and matching nut or nuts of the right size plus thread tape.

Regarding your food grade question, I reckon the idea would be to avoid getting beer up inside the feed to the gauge, so upright at all times.

That is why I would probably only make one or two of these, and just fill one per batch to gauge the entire batch, as would be a pain to have to keep them all upright all the time I guess.

Dang it' date=' who knew there were two kinds of thread!![/quote']

More than 2 mate , there's a list of the buggers !

BSP and NPS won't work together from hazy memory but there's a whole load of other " international standards " depending where it was made and the intended application ...why can't everyone just go metric and be done with it ?

Did my head in trying to learn it in trade school and frankly need to beer just thinking about it

I'm a little unclear about how BS calculates priming levels though' date=' the numbers seem to vary from brew to brew and I don't know what the variable is that's causing it to differ? E.g. it tells me 153g sugar to achieve 3 vols in my saison, but in say an APA it suggests I'd need 175g [img']unsure[/img] (not that I'd actually carbonate an APA to that level of course).

I don't have BS but am guessing it due to the greater attenuation rate of Saison yeast vs APA yeast.

Cheers,

Christina.

I don't have BS but am guessing it due to the greater attenuation rate of Saison yeast vs APA yeast.
The attenuation rate shouldn't really make any difference to the priming sugar amount. Priming sugar is fully fermentable by any brewing yeast unless you use malt extract for it. unsure

Yeah... doesn't make any difference to the suggested priming rate if I substitute in a high-attenuating yeast. But there's definitely something in the formulation that's causing BS to chang the numbers for priming from one brew to the next... unsure

I think there are a number of things that calculators like that are useful for in brewing, and other things that are best left up to personal taste/preference. I would consider the amount of priming sugar needed to be in the latter category. Prime to your preference, not what some calculator says, especially if it's going up and down like a yo yo for no reason.

It's the same with my kegs; sometimes people almost have a fit when I say my keg fridge sits at -1C and the regulator on 15PSI*, but it works with the way my system is set up to get the beer in the glass how I want it. It sure ain't sitting at -1C by the time the glass is full, and the carbonation is fine too.

*The check valves in the gas manifold apparently drop this down by a few PSI, so it's probably not really going into kegs that high. My experience tends to agree with this, as when I used T-splitters on the gas lines, I only had to have the reg sitting on about 11PSI to achieve the same carb level I get now.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 4 weeks later...

Archived