Coopers Community

ghost ship pale recipe

G' date='day folks, i am keen to make an extract based beer that would resemble the adnams ghost ship pale ale , any advice on yeast ,hops etc appreciated

cheers[/quote']

At risk of telling you what you already know, this might be worth a look for reference; I'd never heard of this beer before your post:

http://adnams.co.uk/beer/our-beers/adnams-ghost-ship/

"It is brewed with a selection of malts – Pale Ale, Rye and Cara – we use Citra, and a blend of other American hop varieties to create some great citrus flavours"

I'd assume you may have to experiment a bit to get the ratios right with that, & it's fair to guess that one of the UK ale yeast is used, maybe Windsor, or something like that.

So far as the malts, as above, pale, rye & cara, so if it were me, I'd probably use a can of light malt extract, then do a partial with rye & caramalt.

Hopwise, obviously the citra as stated, but you'd probably have to drink a 6 pack for "research" to try to identify the other hops, & figure out ratios.

Worst case scenario, you'll likely end up with something similar but not the same, that will be quite a bit tastier than a K&K or kits & bits.

Experimentation & research is half the fun of home brewing!

thanks for the reply, im not very confident with specialty grains so may look into something that just needs steeping. definatately would use citra ,not sure what else. i had a carton of this beer recently and found it to be quite a unique flavour, i'll keep looking into it,

cheers

Hi wdg.

A few of the guys over on the Jimsbeerkit forum (locally UK-based) appear to have a good grip on a recipe for it.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60086&hilit=+ghostly

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67407

They are using CaraRye that will allow you to steep this grain without the need for mashing. Just sub the Maris Otter Pale Malt grain for a suitable amount of light liquid or dry malt extract, & steep the Cara/crystal grains.

Locals suggest it is a dual Adnam's yeast strain used for fermenting the beer, but for something close to authentic, you could ferment the beer with what is reportedly one of the Adnam's yeast strains, that being the White Labs WLP025 Southwold Ale yeast.

I hope that helps, & good luck with the brew. wink

Lusty.

hey mate, thanks for the info on that, i will look around to find those grains here in adelaide but im not sure if i'll be able to get that yeast - i've only had a quick look.

When steeping the grains should i steep them and then strain the liquid and use it in the boil ? im not really sure of the best method. i'll get something worked out to put on after easter, thanks for the help guys.cheers

When steeping the grains should i steep them and then strain the liquid and use it in the boil ? im not really sure of the best method.

Yes. You can even rinse the grains with more hot water into your boil pot if you want' date=' to extract more of the sugars. But it's always a good idea to boil the wort from steeped grains, it helps ensure as many bugs that may be in the grains are killed as possible.

That is one function of the boil in a full all grain batch too. [img']cool[/img]

Mini mash @ 68degrees

For steeping the grains the easiest way I do is add strike water to pot or small cooler/esky that's around 72 degrees it will settle to around 68degrees once grain bag is added, get a mini mash bag for grains and fully emerse grains and cover for 30-45 minuts,

You can also double dunk in another small pot for 5 minuts after above has set there for 30-45minuts@ 72-76 degrees to get last sugars...

Its a good practice that leads to similar technique's for all grain brewing

Hi guys this is what im going to try , let us know if you see a problem with it. cheers

2x coopers LME can

500g cara rye malt

windsor dry yeast

5L Boil

5g citra @30

5g citra@20

10g citra@15

25g motueka@10

25g citra@5

dry hop 25 citra

23L brew

Hi WDB.

Your current hop schedule will lack bitterness.

The locals suggest the bittering hop is Chinook & bittered to around 35 IBU, so perhaps try something like the following with your current malt & yeast idea...

Chinook 15gms @ 60mins

Motueka 25gms @ 15mins

Citra 20gms @ 5mins

Citra 25gms dry hopped

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

its in the f.v . wild dog's Titanic pale ale

2x coopers LME cans

500 cara rye grain steeped@65 for 1 hour

5l boil

15g chinook@60

15g citra@15

25g motueka@10

20g citra@5

dry hop 25 citra,windsor dry yeast,23l brew

• 1 month later...

Hey guys , this beer has turned out really good. 1 month in the bottle now and drinking excellent. has taken a month for the hops to really shine through. probably not that close to a ghost ship at this stage but a very nice beer to drink. thanks for the help

cheers

has taken a month for the hops to really shine through. probably not that close to a ghost ship at this stage

Nice one. I sometimes take a commercial as inspiration and go from there....

Glad it worked out for you!

• 8 months later...

Reviving an old thread, because I recently ran out of homebrew and had to visit Dan Murpys a few times.

The Ghost Ship pale ale was probably my favourite of the couple of different cartons I bought.

Gage Roads IPA was nice as well, but I think it must be the Citra that I really like about Ghost Ship.

Anyway, I was thinking of trying to replicate it , when I get back home from work in a few weeks - only kit and bits though, with a higher ABV.

Coopers Real Ale can 1.7kg

Coopers light liquid malt 1.5kg

Light dry malt 0.5kg

Cara Rye 250gm steep

White sugar 250gm

Citra 30gm 5 mins

Cascade 20 gm 5 mins

Citra dry hop 20gm

Cascade dry hop 10gm

Nottingham or Wyeast 1469 if I can get it.

IBUs: 40ish

ABV 6 ish

Any thoughts or experience with Citra and Cara Rye as I have never used them.?

Apart from a brew in the fermenter now which has Citra in an American pale ale.

Cheers

James

Hi James , nice one , yeah the citra in the ghost ship is what makes it i think along with the cara rye. my final recipe was good but i plan on doing it again with a different yeast probably nottingham, i think the yeast is the hardest part to replicate for this beer. i was also going to up the motueka by 10-15g.

Your recipe looks ok . i think the real ale kit is fairly bitter already so you might want a short boil 10-15mins, i think the cara rye needs to be steeped at mash temps (65) for 1 hour, i"d replace the cascade with chinook as thats whats used in ghost ship and just smash it with citra late in boil and dry hop.

I also did a brew using citra recently that turned out really good and was a piece of cake - brew a ipa can,1kg dry malt,nottingham yeast, 50g citra dry hop,20L

cheers mate

Well never made a brew like the one you have, but when it comes to Citra hops, they are bloody hard to beat. I'm sitting here drinking a Citra Pale Ale and honestly it would be of the nicest beers I've tasted. Even my better half likes it, and I think that is amazing.

I used a total of 90g of citra, 30 each at 5 min, flameout and dry hop at 4 days. All the hops were left in until bottling. And all this was done with a can of Coopers PA. Only used the kit yeast and it turned out at 4.8% ABV after bottling.

Colour is 17.7 SRM. IBU's, well given that Beersmith has the wrong equation in its software for Coopers Kit Cans, it is a bit hard to work out. I even sent Brad Smith a copy of the correct IBU's for Coopers, but?

Anyway, Citra is a beautiful hop with flavour and aroma.

Cheers

Bill

Can't wait to put down the quasi Ghost Ship recipe, when I get home.

First time brewing with Citra is in the fermenter now, will be home in a few weeks and then a few after that for drinking.

Getting an order in for the cara rye and Wyeast 1469 from Craft Brewer, might have to get some Chinook as well.

Happy days!

Cheers

James