Coopers Community

CUB Relaunches Tooth's Pale Ale

Beerlust

Being a Pale Ale glutton myself, I thought this looked interesting.

6317371511_22d059016b.jpg

https://www.brewsnews.com.au/2015/11/how-cub-recreated-tooths-pale-ale/

Old world recipe with a modern twist apparently. EKG, PoR, Galaxy & Centennial in the mix.

At 12 IBU's it is a bit of a worry. unsure

If any come my way I'll certainly try one though. wink

Dr. Leekie might remember sipping on a few Tooth's back in his formative years... tonguewhistling

Cheers,

Lusty.

ha i just read that, a whopping 12 IBUs is laughable.

in my humble opinion, this just reeks of a marketing ploy by CUB to just take an existing "heritage/vintage/historical" label/name and whack it on a totally watered down and completely different beer to the original.

he says consumers wouldnt have liked a "chewy" beer based on the original recipe? i would have much preferred to try that than this flog of a beer.

i would of applauded CUB if they had a crack at the original (even if it failed) but instead they have decided thats too hard and would rather continue flogging watery swill. may as well package it in a clear bottle while they are at it.

/rant over.

12 IBUs? lollol

Obviously I've never tried the original version, so even if I do see this somewhere and have a go at it, I won't know whether it's a faithful reproduction or not. Doesn't sound like it though.

I wish Tooheys would sell Flag Ale up here, apart from Old, it's about the only megaswill I don't mind.

I've noticed that the megaswill brewers are getting on the bandwagon with pale ales lately.

XXXX & Tooheys are also marketing pale ales now, but the big brewers are obviously known for making very watered down beers with little flavour, so although they may be jumping on the bandwagon, they're clearly not making true to style pale ales, as they're supposed to have some flavour to them & a noticeable hop presence.

As for the Tooths pale ale having 4 different hops but only 12 IBU's, I can't see why you'd bother.

Either you want a bit of bite & flavour from adding hops, or you don't.

I fail to see why you'd go to the trouble of making a pale ale with such low hop presence.

For my mind, it kind of defeats the purpose if you're keeping your IBU so low.

All that said, I honestly haven't tried any of the new or relaunched pale ales from these brewers, so I'm really going on reputation & experience from their previous & existing products.

Usually when the big boys jump on the bandwagon it's an indication that the trend is over, but I still love my pale ales, it's just that other than a few craft & micro brew beers, most pale ales don't compare to what you can brew yourself with a bit of knowledge & experience.

It's kind of like when a music style (such as Aussie pub rock, punk, grunge etc) goes mainstream, & the artists "sell out" the revolution is over.

The product may or may not be good, but when others get on the band wagon & try to replicate whilst making it a bit more bland for wider appeal, it tends to be weaker than the real thing.

I find it really interesting to look into how these beers evolve from the large commercial breweries. Primarily their popularity comes about through advertising, & utter bullshit advertising at that, & nothing to do with the beer flavour whatsoever in most cases, especially when it comes to this "dry" wave of ridiculously tasteless offerings out there today. I could go on & on about those beers but will leave that for another day.

The reason I brought them up was in this case ironically another CUB beer out there on the market (Carlton Dry) is bittered to the exact same IBU level as this new relaunched Tooth's beer. Coincidence, I think not.

On the other side of the coin, Stone & Wood's Pacific Ale I believe is bittered somewhere between 15-18 IBU that isn't all that much higher & would not be that much more noticeable in that area. However as many of us have admitted in the past, we quite like the S&W Pacific Ale.

So it really comes down to how they have late hopped this Tooth's Pale Ale. Have they actually thrown some hops at it to give it some flavour, or have they as we've come to expect, thrown a handful into their 50 gigalitre brew?

I'd like to think one day these contemptuous megaswill brewers of beer will eventually wake up & stop this charade of making crap they call beer, & get back to the roots of what real beer is & how it should be made. If they've followed the same cheap arse mantra with this beer that they've been using for the last few decades, then I hope this beer dies a quick death.

P.S. I haven't heard anyone raving about the new XXXX Pale Ale. I'm still waiting for Hairy's review because I'm reluctant to part with my hard earned to buy one! tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

P.S. I haven't heard anyone raving about the new XXXX Pale Ale. I'm still waiting for Hairy's review because I'm reluctant to part with my hard earned to buy one! tongue

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

I haven't had the courage to spend my hard earned cash on it yet.

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

I haven't had the courage to spend my hard earned cash on it yet.

I knew it! lol

With dubious beers like these I'll often put one in with a mixed 6 pack of good quality beers, that way if I don't like it I can quickly get the taste out of my mouth by drinking one of the others! biggrin

After trying a $10 6-pack of Toohey's Darling Ale I'm not game to try another pale ale from the big brewers. The first one out of six didn't taste too bad, but after that it was as Otto described, 'carbonated nothingness'. Coopers Pale is head and shoulders above, not to mention all the smaller brewers making proper pale ales!

According to AABC and BJCP guidelines a Pale Ale (either American' date=' English or Australian) should have a minimum IBU of 25 to 30. As such it is only half a pale ale. Case of false advertising? [/quote']

According to just about any standards, beer is supposed to have flavour, aroma, & mouth feel.

Having alcohol content, bubbles, & the correct colour does not make a beverage beer.

Based on that most of the megaswill co's are falsely advertising their products as beer!

If I made a beer that tasted like megaswill, I'd have to mix it with bottles of another batch with better flavour & aroma, just to make it palatable enough to drink!

The megaswill co's are just jumping on the bandwagon with the names of their beers, & clearly in most cases, not interested in being true to style, for fear of offending their core customers who aren't used to flavour, aroma & bitterness in their beers, as they more often than not just want something they can tip down their necks at the pub, rather than consider the flavour (or lack thereof).

It's a case of retaining their core customers, whilst duping them into thinking they're trying something new, & being hip enough to drink a mass produced watered down version of a decent beer style!

Archived