Coopers Community

New Brew Cans

Hairy

Just asked the question because I had a niggle in the back of my tiny mind that homies would see 1.5kg Light Dry Malt and read it as 1.5kg Light Malt Extract because 1.5kg is usually associated with our liquid malt extracts.

As you know, Light Dry Malt is stable in colour, aroma and flavour so the age of this product is not a factor.

Also, 1.5kg Light Malt Extract has a dry weight equivalent of 1.2kg and Lusty added 250g of Light Dry Malt and 50g of Dextrose, which I thought he may have done to bring it up to the 1.5kg total dry weight. unsure

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Also' date=' 1.5kg Light Malt Extract has a dry weight equivalent of 1.2kg and Lusty added 250g of Light Dry Malt and 50g of Dextrose, which I thought he may have done to bring it up to the 1.5kg total dry weight. [img']unsure[/img]

That's exactly why I added the extra dry ingredients. wink

Knowing absolutely nothing about how the flavours of this new kit presents, I added it into IanH's spreadsheet & ran the numbers on both recommended recipes at the two different ferment volumes. At the 23 litre volume IBU comes in at approx. 41.4. I expect the kit is predominantly late hopped to produce that IBU number so I am not the least bit concerned about the beer being overly bitter, but have erred on the side of caution for my first brewing of it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 6 months later...

@the Villian, I have been a subscriber to Beer and Brewer for a while (got every issue since they started) I find it really worthwhile for a couple of reasons:

1. Better HB coverage now with some good recipes for all setups.

2. I run a beer school with some family and friends, where we all buy a beer that is new to us (usually a stubby each), read up on it, present it and (the best part) try it! Quite a lot of the beers have appeared in the buyers guide of the magazine...

Archived