Coopers Community

New Brew Cans

Hairy

I received the latest edition of Beer & Brewer magazine yesterday and saw some advertising and recipes for some new Coopers beer kits.

They were Thomas Coopers DIY Beer branded cans. I don't know if they are just the previous cans re-branded or whether they are new additions or replacements.

The Coopers Store doesn't seem to list them.

Has anyone else on here seen them or know anything about them?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i do recall getting a newsletter or email about the existing cans getting a revamp, no change to the goop. just updated labels to get with modern times or something like that...

from what i can remember, it was the OS and IS series getting the revamp, not the TCS.

I like (and prefer) Brew Your Own (BYO) magazine, even though it is US focused. It is all about home brewing.

Beer & Brewer is predominantly a magazine about commercial beer and the beer industry, with a portion of it dedicated to home brewing. I used to buy it sporadically but I got a one year subscription for $20 at last year's GABS festival.

You can get some decent recipes in Beer & Brewer magazine and they tend to provide each recipe in a format for Kits, Extract and AG brewers.

The new Thomas Coopers Series cans are said to be:

- Brew A IPA,

- Family Secret Amber Ale,

- Devils Half Ruby Porter

- 86 Days Pilsner

- Bootmaker Pale Ale

Looking forward to giving them a try.

The Beer & Brewer mag has some recipes in them that uses one or 2 of the new cans. Gold Rush Pale Ale is one of them from memory.

I find the the B&B mag good. It has beer industry info in the front half and home brew info and recipes in the back half. $90 for 3 year subscription is pretty good these days, and includes digital copies as well (smartphone and tablet).

Cheers,

Pete

The new premium quality brewing extracts are being released under the Thomas Cooper label and have been designed to help DIY brewers mimic most popular styles of craft beer.

At the same time, Coopers has revamped and refreshed the labelling for its Original and International DIY Beer extracts, adding multi-language information and nutritional panels.

So do these replace the current TC range? No more stout' date=' draught, lager and bitter?[/quote']

I reckon you might be right -- maybe PB2 can confirm?

They sound quite good! Interesting style changes that certainly fit with what's popular in Australia now vs what was popular 5 - 10 years ago.

Yep, except for the lack of a stout.

So Paul, have the ones that look like they had existing equivalents (ie. sparkling, pilsner, IPA and wheat) changed?

So do these replace the current TC range? No more stout' date=' draught, lager and bitter?[/quote']Correct.

Oh wow! I may have to grab some never to be seen again stout and get it on soon crying

So PB2 is the APA kit now the Bootmaker Pale Ale kit but with a different name and label?

Same question for the Sparkling Ale?

Can you please explain what is exactly going on here I'm somewhat confused?

So do these replace the current TC range? No more stout' date=' draught, lager and bitter?[/quote']Correct.

Oh wow! I may have to grab some never to be seen again stout and get it on soon crying

So PB2 is the APA kit now the Bootmaker Pale Ale kit but with a different name and label?

Same question for the Sparkling Ale?

Can you please explain what is exactly going on here I'm somewhat confused?

There is a stout in the original series, probably doesn't hold much to the TC one though.

I personally prefer the old packaging from what I can see. The Diybeer seems to really cheapen the whole thing. Really sad to see they dropped the Australian Bitter. Seems to be becoming more Americanized (with a z).

Curious to know if its just a relabel of the other cans though.

There is a stout in the original series' date=' probably doesn't hold much to the TC one though.[/quote']

The TC stout was a dry Irish stout, low ABV. The OS Stout is more like Coopers BES in style, so quite different. I imagine it was because Guinness was really popular a while back, but not so much any more.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the new range. I think it's a smart move by Coopers to develop this new range. They are popular styles, & doubling up on a few of the styles through the OS series & TC series was probably a bit of an overkill. Drinking trends have changed & through Coopers own DIY ROTM's etc. they certainly would have been able to gather information about which brews are trending & are popular.

As far as how they look, I'd say the TC labeling looked a bit smarter, but at the end of the day all I care about is how good the LME is inside the can.

So does anyone know when they will be released to consumers? and will they only be available at specialty brew shops?

Also, I'm guessing a number of recipes will soon be disappearing from the DIY recipe bank as they will no longer be able to be brewed? unsure

Good luck with the new range Coopers, I reckon they'll do really well. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived