Coopers Community

New Brew Cans

Hairy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning.

With these new brew cans i have noticed there is no Stout can. I love a creamy stout every now and then and have one brewing as we speak.

Should i stock up on the Thomas Coopers Stout can today? Or is there an alternative to making a stout with dark malt and hops?

I haven't advanced to brew in a bag or all grain beast mode yet.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers.

Hi Nik

Don't bet you house on what I say, but my understanding is the Thos Coopers Series stout will be no more (once current stocks sell out), but the Original Series Stout will remain (albeit with different labelling).

If that's right, it's a bit disappointing because IMHO the TCS Stout was so much better than the OS one it was well worth the extra few bucks. But the decision seems to have been made, so vale TCS Irish Stout!

Took a look at the yeast info that PB2 posted and it seems Coopers is making it a little easier for us to guess which third party yeasts they are supplying (not sure why it has to be a secret anyway). Here are my guesses:

Perhaps the "B" stands for BRY-97

Perhaps the "S" stands for S-04

Perhaps the "W" stands for Windsor

Not sure about the Pilsner yeast, or the wheat yeast, except that now it seems to be a true wheat yeast (H= Hefeweizen), so there are only two candidates: WB-06 and Munich. Isn't Munich the one they supply with their ROTM recipes, when it needs a wheat yeast?

The thing I have found with Danstar yeasts is that you really have to rehydrate them (something I do all the time now). While Fermentis recommends rehydration, they also give the option to sprinkle at 20C, which Danstar doesn't. Mind you, when Fermentis says sprinkling is okay, they are talking about their 11.5gm packages. While we don't know yet how much Coopers will be supplying with the kits, I suspect it will be the usual 7gm. I guess the long and the short of it is that any of the yeasts in the new Thomas Coopers line, plus the APA and Mexican Cervesa ale/lager blended yeast, and the European Lager yeast (basically any that are not 100% Coopers yeast), should be rehydrated. I find Coopers yeast still seems to be okay when dry pitched, as long as it is reasonably fresh.

And PB2, don't worry. None of this is meant as a question directed at you. This is just homebrewers speculating among themselves. biggrin

Guessing games can be fun whistling

The space under the lid will only accommodate a 7g yeast sachet. sad

TC Irish Stout is no longer, once stocks run out. Sales were okay but the general feeling was that it would have more relevance if it sat in the IS range. I've been working on an Irish Stout that sits a bit closer to the commercial Murphy's style and it should appear on shelves in the coming months. Exactly when, no idea...

Forever yours.

Some random internet guy sideways

I've been working on an Irish Stout that sits a bit closer to the commercial Murphy's style and it should appear on shelves in the coming months. Exactly when' date=' no idea...

Forever yours.

Some random internet guy [img']sideways[/img]

Sounds great, looking forward to trying that one smile

Thanks once again for the update random internet dude wink

I obviously haven't brewed with any of the new kits yet, but reading through the descriptors of them, they do seem to have ALL the good stuff in them, with no holding back.

If Coopers have approached the new range with the aim of producing a kit that does NOT require additional hopping or grains to produce a high level beer that is rich in the flavours associated with the style, then it will SAVE us money, rather than cost us more money in the long run.

I'm really interested in the new kits & plan to brew them in their basic recommended form first up to gauge their flavours & overall quality. If they are as I assume, not only replacements for the previous TC range, but also improvements on them, I think $3 - $4 extra will be a small price to pay. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Much as I like customizing my brews, I can see that having a new range that replicates the current trend in micro & craft brewing styles can only be a good thing.

Like you Lusty, I'll be trying a few of them as recommended before seeing what else can be done with them.

Definitely a few dollars more for a brew can you don't have to add much to sounds like good value, when you consider how much you can spend doctoring up a fairly basic brew can, or the cost of say a ROTM kit.

It'll be sad to see the end of some of the old TC range, but I expect the new range will also lead to some new recipes that will be well worth trying, & no doubt some of them will make their way into the ROTM kits in future.

Very sad day' date=' the Irish stout was the best.[/quote']

Give the Porter a go bert. Porters are great I reckon. So many cool things you can do to them that you can't do to a proper stout (IMHO).

I can't wait to brew the new TC Porter kit! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Do you think now that the Irish stout has been discontinued ' date=' coopers will give a recipe out so we can make it using there original stout can? [/quote']

I don't think that is possible. The Irish stout can was very simple, just roasted and flaked barley. There are other things in the OS stout that can't be taken out.

The new cans are in the online store.

$5 more per can - Ouch!crying

I suppose that new designer has just earned his pay-packet' date=' though....

I'm going to head down to the LHBS and get a bunch of the old TC collection while I still can!

[img']biggrin[/img]

I went to my local store yesterday to pick up an IPA. None there. The bloke said he'd ordered them and they'd be in but when he looked on his order they weren't there. He'd been told by the Coopers rep nothing had changed except the packaging.

How about the Australian Bitter and heritage draught. Can we make up those somehow?

Hey Quadricorn, the Australian Bitter would probably make a good base in terms of bitterness, although it is not quite as bitter, but two kits combined would be too bitter. In any case it would have to be a partial mash recipe, as flaked barley has to be mashed, plus that amount of roasted barley really should be too. Maybe Lusty or some other experienced partial mashers could take a stab at a partial mash recipe? I started to work on one, based off of Jamil Zainasheff's Beamish-style Irish Stout recipe in Brewing Classic styles, but I don't feel I have enough experience partial mashing to do a good enough job.

The other option is just to wait until Coopers comes out with the new Murphy's-style Irish Stout that PB2 mentioned is in development.

Very disappointed. TC IPA gone!

I can't believe it was not popular enough to keep.

I hope the Brew A IPA will be as nice.

The 21.14% price hike is a slap in the face. At least the online club price is still much cheaper than the local brew shop.

The new labels are nowhere near as classy looking.

I have been thinking about the lables.

I think that the new lables would have been better fitting to the IS line of cans. The OS cans could do with a but of a freshen up but the old TC series were heaps more 'premium' looking

Having been in the printing trade a few years, I'd hazard a guess that the new labels are cheaper to print.

Archived