Coopers Community

Happy International IPA Day

Brownsworthy

A massively underrated day of the Calendar.

Purely commercial of course but I got stuck in to a St Austell Big Job Cornish Double IPA after sneaking in a couple of Lashes at the local. Not truly in keeping with the day, I then cracked open one of the Camilla's Folly Ales I had bottled a month ago in celebration. Reminded me of butter menthol for some reason. Good times and happy with the result.

What are the chances of IPA day becoming as big as Oktoberfest in the mind of some marketing genius? No reason not to start a tradition I guess.

That's the great thing about being a complete amateur on this forum, there is always someone who knows their stuff. It also results in a sweep through search engines to understand what it all means and whether it is a good thing or not!

I used a starter yeast which was on its third go and maybe bottled it a bit too soon (was in for 10 days and had been steady for about 4 days). Impatience on behalf of the brewer. The taste of it isn’t all that bad but there is definitely a butter menthol type flavour that is noticeable. Lesson for next time.

By the way, welcome to the forum Chalswi.

Diacetyl is generally considered a flaw but it is intentionally present in some beers. There are worse things you can have in your beer. Acetobacter infection sick

<a href=butterbeer_light_zps85tw25ce.png' alt='b

Thanks Hairy, I've been a regular visitor to the Forum but never posted. I've always found it as a bit of a go to when it comes to problems or information so thanks to you and the other regular posters who provide responses to part timers like me.

...or Chalswi used butter menthols instead of carb drops! tongue

Haha I think I might have done that with my Bohemian Pils. I tasted one that's been 2 weeks in the bottle and I think I can taste a little bit of both diacetyl and DMS. Not all bad though' date=' sweet corn and butter do go well together! [img']biggrin[/img]

Haha I think I might have done that with my Bohemian Pils. I tasted one that's been 2 weeks in the bottle and I think I can taste a little bit of both diacetyl and DMS. Not all bad though' date=' sweet corn and butter do go well together! [img']biggrin[/img]

Haha! I like that! lol

It's OK John, Amarillo Pale Ale heaven is just around the corner! wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

It's OK John' date=' Amarillo Pale Ale heaven is just around the corner![/quote']

Thanks for the reminder to keep my spirits up biggrin

I bottled up the Amarillo Rye Amber this afternoon. I used Coopers carb drops and filled 3 x Tap-a-draft bottles which made the process very easy. Well ... except trying to tilt the FV with my left hand while holding a 6 litre bottle in my right as it was filling. I think even the cats were laughing at me then!

lol Give it a few more weeks, the diacetyl should clear up. It is a bit difficult when you can't raise the temperature though. I've yet to experience it in any of my lagers, but if I cracked a Bo Pils and it tasted like buttered corn it would be going straight down the sink, or on the garden or something. tonguelol

Well, the thing is Kelsey, I could have raised the temperature using my heat pad and temp controller pinched

I thought the 4 week primary fermentation should have been long enough to clean things up, but I guess the temperature was too low for the yeast to work fast enough.

I don't know where the DMS is coming from. According to Jamil, an 8% per hour evaporation rate during the boil is enough to drive off all the precursors. My evaporation rate is more like 21% due to kettle geometry!

Haha, but don't worry, I'll drink them to teach myself a lesson! There's a beautiful malt flavour as well, so all is not lost.

I have learned my lesson, and my Oktoberfest using the repitched 2206 was raised to 18C yesterday.

Archived