Coopers Community

Regards to Pale Ales

Richardvb

I have never tried a Pale Ale and my pension does not allow me to just go for it so could someone give me a couple of commercial Aussie brands.

As I live in Queenstown Tasmania and we do not get much of a range to choose from with only 1 pub left

G'day Richard, depending on what you get down there, here are a few that may be more widely available.

• Coopers Pale Ale
  • Cascade Pale Ale
  • Moo Brew Pale Ale
  • Bridge Road (Beechworth) Pale Ale
  • The Australian Brewery Pale Ale
  • Wicked Elf Pale Ale
  • Murray's Angry Man Pale Ale

You will find a fair bit of diversity in the flavours.

Hi Richard,

On top of Porschemad's suggestions, I'd thoroughly recommend trying Little Creatures Pale Ale if you can get it. It's the beer that got me into drinking beer.

Also, Matilda Bay's Fat Yak is worth a try too.

Both are fairly common in bottleshops nowadays.

If you can find them, I think that Hawthorn Brewing Co. Pale Ale and 4 Pines Pale Ale are also worth a try, though they may be harder to find.

If nothing else though, definitely look for LCPA. I reckon it's a gateway-beer for a lot of people.

Some of the Australian style pale ales are a nice introduction to pale ales; a bit more subtle. Try:

Lord Nelson Three Sheets pale ale

Matilda Bay The Ducks pale ale

James Squire 150 Lashes

Mountain Goat Summer Ale

I really like the first two. You would find these in a lot of bottle shops around Australia.

There is also a new beer called Lazy Yak which is supposed to be a similar style to those above. I haven't tried it yet.

Some of the Australian style pale ales are a nice introduction to pale ales; a bit more subtle. Try:

Lord Nelson Three Sheets pale ale

Matilda Bay The Ducks pale ale

James Squire 150 Lashes

Mountain Goat Summer Ale

I really like the first two. You would find these in a lot of bottle shops around Australia.

There is also a new beer called Lazy Yak which is supposed to be a similar style to those above. I haven't tried it yet.

I tried one of the Lazy Yaks last night. It reminded me of Stone and Wood Pacific Ale.

I tried a Tooheys Darling Pale Ale tonight. It would be a good intro beer to ales for those used to mega swill lagers.

It was surprisingly ok. Very little hop flavour or aroma but fairly drinkable and not horrible at all.

Thanks to all of you

So went to the pub and got the choice of 1 only Coopers pale ale

OK got home tried it and now have another question

Why are commercial beers tasting like reused dishwasher fluid after trying my 6 day bottled draught last week which was flat as and I believe the word is green but has put me off commercial beers straight away and that was just the coopers draught ordinary one so now wondering about the Thomas Coopers one or OH my god what does all grain taste like and will that put me off everything else

Why are commercial beers tasting like reused dishwasher fluid after trying my 6 day bottled draught last week which was flat as and I believe the word is green but has put me off commercial beers straight away and that was just the coopers draught ordinary one so now wondering about the Thomas Coopers one or OH my god what does all grain taste like and will that put me off everything else

G'day David' date=' the light is coming on mate and your question is valid. With perseverance, practice and patience you can make very good beer at home. [img']smile[/img]

Have you looked through these recipes? Coopers Ale Recipes they are tried and tested, not all will suite every taste, but a great place to get hooked. happy

Cheers.

Looking at the range of beers that we have recommended to Richard it is clear that none of us has been to Queenstown wink.

It is Boags, Cascade & Carlton Draught country for sure , no yuppie beers here for sure. Can't imagine an ex miner calling into the local pub and asking for Wicked Elf Pale Ale lol

The only cure for you Richard is to do as Magnaman suggests and brew through the Coopers recipes.

I brewed many a home brew clone before I tasted the original.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

You are right there Scottie as the mine was shut down 8 months ago and we are down to only 1 pub and around 1,300 population so the Pub rules and charges what it wants and stocks only what the pop are drinking and as I found out it was the drive in bottle dept attendant who makes sure He has the coopers pale ale as he drinks it so if he didn't I would not of got that and if I wanted to try the others I would of had to order from 1 carton to a 1/2 pallet depending on which one so looks like its a no go for me as being on the pension its to expensive for me to experiment on beers that I am not sure of the taste

But saying that I am trying Lager (came with kit) and draught also my favorite which is Bitter and ended up with a couple cans of Ale but lets face it you have to have something for the free loaders to drink

Been there numerous times but never stayed overnight sleeping

Thought bubble alert!!

Scottie, can you see someone (or your good self as it's not that far up the road) moving to Queenstown and setting up a craft brew pub? The climate just begs for it and it's likely to hold tourists there for a bit longer, which would be great for the town/tourism...

Archived