Coopers Community

Craft Beer

Barossa

Just a topic for discussion, so coopers have launched a craft beer kit - but what actually constitutes as a 'craft beer'. I thought that what we are all doing by brewing at home (non industrial / commercial) would be classed as craft brewing?

I think you're going into craft brewing territory when you venture out beyond K&K, or kits and bits, and start using more malts, grains, hops, and experiment with yeasts etc.

It could be argued that a real craft beer would require you to source all your ingredient raw, but I doubt that many do that, including commercial and small retail brewers.

Craft beer is a bit of a fuzzy topic, as I don't think you'd get even craft brewers agreeing on what constitutes a real craft beer.

Perhaps when you start making up your own recipes, don't rely on concentrate, and keep your recipes secret you're a craft brewer; or if you're a home brewer venturing there, you're a bit of a stingy miserable bugger, for not sharing your tips!

Just a topic for discussion' date=' so coopers have launched a craft beer kit - but what actually constitutes as a 'craft beer'. I thought that what we are all doing by brewing at home (non industrial / commercial) would be classed as craft brewing?[/quote']

Hey Barossa

The Craft Beer argument always gets a fair run, look here at the last time https://coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/12616/?page=1

Now given the negative connotations of home brew that were perpetrated in the 1990s I prefer to call myself a Craft Brewer. I still remember asking a neighbour for some empty bottles to use for my first batch "Home brew, errrrr yuckkkk" was all she replied.

Another link http://theidiotgardener.com/homebrew-versus-craft-beer/

Cheers

Scott

G'day Brewers, what does the word craft mean? a good place to start? Oxford Dictionaries.., take note of 1.3?

We K&K guys might be stretching it? The extract crowd might be borderline, BIAB and AG people may be just that Craft Brewers? Therefore their product may well be Craft Beer? wink

I would always encourage people to think.

"Just because you have a dymo doesn't mean you have to label everything"

My twopence worth! wink

Cheers.

craft beer is just another way of saying homebrew. a few other terms come to mind: bootleg' date=' moonshine..[/quote']

G'day Cobber, just a couple of points, while I see where your coming from I disagree with your examples.

Not all craft brew is home made, therefore just calling it "homebrew" would be inaccurate to say the least.

As for bootleg, that term originated in the smuggling days of the latter 1700's when English smugglers would hide (in long leather boots) the alcohol they were smuggling to get around paying tax on, and latter went on to be applied to copied music, all of these activities in the eyes of the law are illegal.

Brewing beer at home in Australia is not and has not been illegal since the early 1970's thank's to the Whitlam government of the day. happy

Moonshine on the other hand is the making of illegal whiskey (USA), that is the distilling of spirits also to avoid paying tax and or the transporting of said "illicit" product across certain state boarders (lines) mostly states south of the Mason- Dixon line. Hope this helps. smile

Maybe made by me or you at home might be the way to go? wink

craft beer is just another way of saying homebrew. a few other terms come to mind: bootleg' date=' moonshine..[/quote']

G'day Cobber, just a couple of points, while I see where your coming from I disagree with your examples.

Not all craft brew is home made, therefore just calling it "homebrew" would be inaccurate to say the least.

As for bootleg, that term originated in the smuggling days of the latter 1700's when English smugglers would hide (in long leather boots) the alcohol they were smuggling to get around paying tax on, and latter went on to be applied to copied music, all of these activities in the eyes of the law are illegal.

Brewing beer at home in Australia is not and has not been illegal since the early 1970's thank's to the Whitlam government of the day. happy

Moonshine on the other hand is the making of illegal whiskey (USA), that is the distilling of spirits also to avoid paying tax and or the transporting of said "illicit" product across certain state boarders (lines) mostly states south of the Mason- Dixon line. Hope this helps. smile

Maybe made by me or you at home might be the way to go? wink

:)

i agree with you

Hey Barossa

The Craft Beer argument always gets a fair run' date=' look here at the last time https://coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/12616/?page=1

[/quote']

Thanks, I was pretty sure I wouldn't have been the first person to bring this subject up. I guess my direction was not so much craft brewer types (people) which I guess the previous topic was pointed at from the article, rather than the actual term 'Craft Beer'.

With all due respect to Coopers releasing a craft series kit is that not a contradiction in terms, it is still a K&K which in some circles is not a classed as a true craft beer!

I suppose I'm just getting niggled by seeing 'craft beer' on sale in my local bottle shop, drive through etc. it just appears to be another marketing gimmick?

Personally I am thrilled to have stumbled upon making my own beer at home and this forum / community. I have only ever made one brew exactly as it says on the tin, from then on in I have experimented using the coopers tin as a base - is this craft beer? To be honest I don't care - I love the experience of making and drinking my own beer, and of course learning from my mistakes but god I'm sick of seeing 'craft beer' being promoted everywhere.

Hey Magnaman

Just remember stills > 5l are illegal, and if you brew whiskey in a smaller still you need a license and you have to pay tax. In many countries brewing beer at home is legal while brewing spirits is not.

Says a lot about sophistication I reckon, Whiskey = Cowboys & Bogans , Craft Beer = Yuppies, Home Brew = Upper Class Beer Snobs

Hold your glass with your little finger extended

Scottie

...With all due respect to Coopers releasing a craft series kit is that not a contradiction in terms' date=' it is still a K&K which in some circles is not a classed as a true craft beer!

...[/quote'] Well before the Coopers Craft Beer kit (I like to call him George love), I was tasked with developing 1.3kg Character Brew Cans for 8.5litre brew volumes into the US market.

Once our Marketing Department decided to push ahead with "George" and use the 1.3kg Brew Cans, they needed to come up with a name other than "a young lad who is third in line to the throne". When tasting the finished beers they thought "Craft " would be appropriate.

I still call him "George" kissing

• 1 month later...

Up here in America, "craft beer" is defined as the anti-thesis of BMC's (Bud, Miller, Coors) light yellow tasteless fizzy stuff. Generally smaller breweries than BMC as well that produce better quality brews. There are tons of'em up here these days, with a claimed home brewer population of 1M+! I view what we do as "home brewed craft beers". That should settle the argument?!...

Hey Leonard

Welcome back, it has indeed be a while (2 years) since your last posting. Good to see you have a home brew book on Amazon, too bad Coopers have blocked your "Back in The Saddle Post" that contains your Amazon link -I think there are clear rules surrounding retailers and advertising.

The site is a funny thing though, you can see the post and access the link through the back door so to speak. The post is still there under Leonard's post but the thread is gone.

Anyway well done on the book and capturing your brewing experience, I guess when you get to all grain you will have to release the second edition.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I know it's been a while, but 2 years? Wow. I'm not a retailer in the usual sense. I'm selling my books on amazon/Kindle under my actual name. homebrewtalk allows me to post the links in my signature line. Just thought I'd try it here? Book two of my home brewing series is already in the works. It's going to cover historic styles & struggles. Since progressing to partial mash, I've learned al lot about brewing craft beers. Making them is definitely cheaper than paying 10 bucks for a 6'r.

Archived