Coopers Community

Yeasts

davids47

if i was to use a Belgium yeast in a can of English bitter kit with a amber malt extract its what i have ib cupboard just now what kind of flavours would i get over ,if i had used safale ,what i do have is a MJ burton ale yeast which i have never tried before ether, just never done much experimenting, it runs expensive if its a stuff up and i have had a few of them recently with bulk priming

thanks

Use it' date=' it will work wonderfully. Mind you the Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale yeast would work really well with that kit too.[/quote']

On a level here, I agree with you Ben.

But to answer the question posed by the O.P, I feel your answer needs a little more than "...would work really well..".

If I was the O.P. I'd want a little more than that. innocent

By the same token, Hairy's preference for using the Burton Ale yeast above using the Belgian yeast does little to explain the eventual flavours in the end beer between the two. Thus as the O.P. I'd also want further explanation about "why to do" here too from Hairy as well. innocent

Anthony.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am thinking about moving to bulk priming and I was just curious as to what your problems have been with it?

I started to use bulk and it was easy and i did clean and sanitize every thing but i still got an infection in them i dumped about 4 brews

the ones i did with just sugar in Bottle before and after have been fine no trouble

that was my experience

By the same token' date=' Hairy's preference for using the Burton Ale yeast above using the Belgian yeast does little to explain the eventual flavours in the end beer between the two. Thus as the O.P. I'd also want further explanation about "why to do" here too from Hairy as well.[/quote']

You are not the OP unsure

On a level here' date=' I agree with you Ben.

But to answer the question posed by the O.P, I feel your answer needs a little more than "...would work really well..".

If I was the O.P. I'd want a little more than that. [img']innocent[/img]

By the same token, Hairy's preference for using the Burton Ale yeast above using the Belgian yeast does little to explain the eventual flavours in the end beer between the two. Thus as the O.P. I'd also want further explanation about "why to do" here too from Hairy as well. innocent

Anthony.

And what has your post done to help the OP? Besides just having a dig at two people who have given their advice?

I write the following without attacking anyone, without writing long winded responses and to actually provide some advice.

The Belgian yeasts will provide a fruity, spicy, peppery profile. the flavor profile will also depend on the temperature of the fermentation.

Here is an example of flavor profiles that can be obtained with different yeasts and temperature

http://www.whitelabs.com/files/belgianchart_0.pdf

What Belgium yeast are you referring to ?

Which Safale yeast do you have ?

What style and flavor are you after ?

With what you have in your ingredients, it would be hard to "stuff" it up. Overall, it depends what kind of flavors you are after in your experiment.

If you want to do an ESB go with Burton, if you are after some funky belgium go with what you have, otherwise if you want a nice clean amber bitter, us-05 would be good.

Adz

happy Don't worry about it too much, Jay. This is nothing compared to how nasty things have been in the past, and at the end of the day we're always going to have our disagreements.

The important thing is that no one holds grudges and we're all back to getting along again in no time.

happy Don't worry about it too much' date=' Jay. This is nothing compared to how nasty things have been in the past, and at the end of the day we're always going to have our disagreements.

The important thing is that no one holds grudges and we're all back to getting along again in no time.[/quote']

Those were dark days.

I write the following without attacking anyone' date=' without writing long winded responses and to actually provide some advice.

The Belgian yeasts will provide a fruity, spicy, peppery profile. the flavor profile will also depend on the temperature of the fermentation.

Here is an example of flavor profiles that can be obtained with different yeasts and temperature

http://www.whitelabs.com/files/belgianchart_0.pdf

What Belgium yeast are you referring to ?

Which Safale yeast do you have ?

What style and flavor are you after ?

With what you have in your ingredients, it would be hard to "stuff" it up. Overall, it depends what kind of flavors you are after in your experiment.

If you want to do an ESB go with Burton, if you are after some funky belgium go with what you have, otherwise if you want a nice clean amber bitter, us-05 would be good.[/quote']

+1

Well said Adz. smile

Beerlust

On a level here' date=' I agree with you Ben.

But to answer the question posed by the O.P, I feel your answer needs a little more than “…would work really well..”.

If I was the O.P. I'd want a little more than that.

By the same token, Hairy's preference for using the Burton Ale yeast above using the Belgian yeast does little to explain the eventual flavours in the end beer between the two. Thus as the O.P. I'd also want further explanation about “why to do” here too from Hairy as well.

Anthony.[/quote']

And what has your post done to help the OP? Besides just having a dig at two people who have given their advice?

As I have neither used the Burton Ale yeast or any Belgian yeasts besides a couple of Saison specific varieties, I'm not really in a position to offer flavour advice to the O.P's question in this case.

I'd hardly call it "having a dig", more a gesture on my part. I apologise for showing some respect to both Hairy's & Ben's brewing experience given the amount of practical brewing knowledge each possess, by believing they could both elaborate a little further on the flavours of those yeast suggestions to aid the O.P. in selecting one or the other (Note the use of the innocent/innocence icons in my previous post).

It's worthy to note, if you intentionally look for negative aspects in things, invariably you'll find them. rightful

In the sky' date=' there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.[/quote']

Cheers & good luck with the brew David. wink

Anthony.

In Phil's defence, he came across a post that, without looking too hard, appeared to be sanctimonious.

But now that you have cleared it up and you were only showing respect, we can move on.

The OP got his answer so all is good in the end.

Time short on some days am I.

Burton Union - fabulous malt profile, some banana esters during fermentation but these left upon drinking.

Lovely yeast for ESb etc.

The Belgian Ale from Mangrove Jack's is stunning.

I fermented 3 brews recently well below the recommended temp - ie @ 18 - and they are all brilliant.

Two are Belgian style and one is US pale.

he American Pale is so good, some fruity esters from the yeast and Amarillo in the background.

The Belgian beers - Leffe Brune and Leffe Blonde are stuning too.

I suggest to try the kit with both yeasts - seperate brews - and see how they go.

IF the Belgian yeast is Belle Saison then that is a whole different story.

Hi Ben.

Time short on some days am I.

Burton Union - fabulous malt profile' date=' some banana esters during fermentation but these left upon drinking.

Lovely yeast for ESb etc.

The Belgian Ale from Mangrove Jack's is stunning.

I fermented 3 brews recently well below the recommended temp - ie @ 18 - and they are all brilliant.

Two are Belgian style and one is US pale.

he American Pale is so good, some fruity esters from the yeast and Amarillo in the background.

The Belgian beers - Leffe Brune and Leffe Blonde are stuning too.

I suggest to try the kit with both yeasts - seperate brews - and see how they go.

IF the Belgian yeast is Belle Saison then that is a whole different story.[/quote']

I knew you had it in ya! wink

On a selfish personal level, thanks for the info on the yeast as I'm contemplating brewing a true malty Belgian style beer in the coming months.

P.S. "Time short on some days am I." Your Yoda spiel is coming along well! Hehe! biggrin

Much appreciated,

Anthony.

Archived