Coopers Community

Coopers Vintage Ale 2013

Bassman

Has anyone tried the new coopers recipe kit for the 2013 vintage ale. I have just started this recipe and its the first time I have tried the vintage ale one.

First reading was 1074 which seems high and is heading towards a stronger beer then 7.5%. Has been kept at 18 degrees for the last 8 days and has allot of foam still on the top.

Just wondering what the fermentation period is as it seems another week away before I can bottle.

Wondering how you all went with this recipe or a previous vintage ale recipe. Any suggestions as well.

Fermentation usually (usually) takes about a week, then I (and many others) also give it an extra week for luck. Well, not luck, but in that week the beer will clear and improve a bit. Always measure it though to ensure fermentation is complete - I measure on day 1, 7(ish) and 14(ish) and there's usually hardly any (if any at all) change in that last week.

Hi guys. Did a hydrometer reading last night and it was 1016. The Krausin is still there and is a sticky thick bubbly looking thing. I have never usef BRY97 American West Coast yeast before. Is this normal to still be there at day 9

I put the ESVA down about a month ago, I was able to maintain the 18ish degrees recommended and it took about...let me check my notes...15-16 days to reach FG. I left it a bit longer to clear up too. Mine read at 1.008 when finished, but I think I have a bit of an issue with my hydrometer.

Adam

I have just bottled mine a week ago and it finished at 1007.

I have the coopers iphone app where I store my brew recipes n stuff and for some reason it didnt store the notes I put in with OG. I recall it being somewhere around 1072-1074 but this would make it over 9% once primed. Does this sound right?

Recipe was

1 x 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale

1 x 1.7kg Real Ale

1 x 1kg Coopers Dextrose

1 x 300g Crystal Malt

1 x 25g Chinook Hops

1 x 25g Citra Hops

1 x 25g Centennial Hops

1 x BRY-97 Yeast

Cheers

Rob

Hi RobD6.

Wow, that's some attenuation your brew has achieved there!

By my calculations, if your figures are accurate, the ABV is somewhere around 8.5 - 8.8% before carbonating. So if you are naturally carbonating the beer, then yes, I would say it will end up around the 9.0% mark! [sideways]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Well its day 12 and I have had the same reading at FG of 1.010 in the last 2 days so I have bottled the batch. With an OG of 1.073 that gives me an ABV of 8.94%. Seems high but if it tastes like the commercial vintage ale and has a higher ABV then I guess its a win win. [lol]

Hi CharlesM7, & welcome to the forum.

Can anyone advise what is meant by 'a mesh cleaning cloth' in the recipe? Does this mean a chux type cloth or something different?

That is exactly what is meant Charles. A brand spanking new unused chux cloth pulled straight from the wrapper. [rightful]

There are certainly other options available for holding your hops during dry hopping, but our forum administrator has used this method with great success over the years & without incident (as far as I know [unsure] )

It is a clever means of containing the hops that makes the dry hopping procedure easy & accessible to even first time brewers, without needing any special equipment or ancillary products. [joyful]

Good luck with your future brewing.

Cheers,

Anthony.

It is a clever means of containing the hops that makes the dry hopping procedure easy & accessible to even first time brewers' date=' without needing any special equipment or ancillary products. [joyful']

No ancillary products? You would have to buy/use chux cloths.

I cracked the first one of mine last night' date=' just on 2 weeks old. It's a great beer! It will be very very nice after some aging.[/quote']

I done the same with one of mine last night. Only bottled for a week n a half but I couldn't wait to try it. Very impressed with the flavour.

• 2 weeks later...
I cracked the first one of mine last night' date=' just on 2 weeks old. It's a great beer! It will be very very nice after some aging.[/quote']

I done the same with one of mine last night. Only bottled for a week n a half but I couldn't wait to try it. Very impressed with the flavour

I cracked my ones open after 2 weeks and they seem very bitter compared to the commercial coopers vintage ale. How long will it take to soften. 6 months?

Noticeable change in bitterness may take longer than 6 mths. To monitor its development in the bottle, perhaps try one every month. The bitterness will appear to be less if you have it with food such as a good steak, slow cooked casserole or cheese.[love]

• 3 weeks later...

G'day. I started off this brew on the weekend, however it's sitting at about 22-24 degrees. Considering this is higher than the recomended 18 degrees what effect would it have on my final product? I was going to wait until I got a controller to use a fridge to ferment in, but couldn't wait any longer as I want to open the first one on Christmas day. The fermenter is in the laundry which is farily stable temperature at 22 degrees, I could put it outside undercover where it would be cooler overnight and may get the FV down to 18.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Brad, as is well documented here, high ferment temps often create unwanted flavours and a temp controlled brew fridge will help eliminate this.

In your case, the temps are only marginally high and you might not notice it to much in a strong and heavily bittered and hopped ale.

What i would do in you situation is drape a damp towel over the FV and wet it a couple of times a day. Keep doors around it open to ensure a breeze can happen. The old Coolgardie Safe, was a method of keeping meat a little longer before the days of refridgeration and this is the same princible.

I have a dark ale fermenting at the side of the house and it sits at a constant 20 deg, even though ambient temps in SEQ are mid to high 20's. All i do is keep it wet, out of the sun and locate it in an area that seems to have a constant breeze.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy it on xmas day

Hey Brad, as is well documented here, high ferment temps often create unwanted flavours and a temp controlled brew fridge will help eliminate this.

In your case, the temps are only marginally high and you might not notice it to much in a strong and heavily bittered and hopped ale.

What i would do in you situation is drape a damp towel over the FV and wet it a couple of times a day. Keep doors around it open to ensure a breeze can happen. The old Coolgardie Safe, was a method of keeping meat a little longer before the days of refridgeration and this is the same princible.

I have a dark ale fermenting at the side of the house and it sits at a constant 20 deg, even though ambient temps in SEQ are mid to high 20's. All i do is keep it wet, out of the sun and locate it in an area that seems to have a constant breeze.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy it on xmas day

Hey Brad, I agree with Nick on this one. 22C is OK and 24C is getting a little high. But you will probably get away with it in this brew.

Listen to Nick, it doesn't take much work to drop it a couple of degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I just had one of these yesterday after only 3 weeks in the bottle and it is just bloody magnificent with a steak!!! it was very bitter out of the FV but after 3 weeks it as mellowed and all the flavours are coming together, my brother in law simply refused to believe that I had made it, it was only my 3rd brew too so I've put about 15 bottles away at my in laws cellar to age for a couple of months, cannot wait to see how it tastes then!!

Archived