Coopers Community

Choice Brew Pilsner

Thanks to some input from Philbo (for my burner) and a few other lads I have a BIAB setup going. First beer ended up OK - it was a Sierra Nevada Torpedo variant. Same grain bill but different hops (Topaz and Cascade). I think the sweetness of the crystal overpowered the hops.

Anyway, I made my 2nd beer yesterday and it was this (based on JP's Plenske Pivo)

Choice Brew Pilsner - aiming for approx. 5.2%

4.1 kg Joe White Pilsner malt

0.35 kg Carapils

0.13 kg of Acid malt

10g Magnums (14%)at 60mins

20g Motueka (6.9%) at 30mins

20g Motueka (6.95) at 15mins

I'm not sure if I calculated all my volumes correctly or not. I think I started with 29 litres and had 27 after 60 minute mash. Ended with 24L at the end of the boil, a bit more than the 19L i was aiming for. Hmmmmmm Still working out my pot. Pre-boil gravity was 1.042, aiming for and OG of 1.048. Will update this when I measure OG hopefully tonight.

Plonked a sleeping back over the top of the pot and lost 1 degree total, which was ok cos i started 1 degree higher than the 64.4 i was aiming at.

Currently sitting in my cube cooling down before hopefully transferring to FV tonight. I made a starter using Wyeast 2000 Budvar Lager - 2 packets into a 2.5L starter on my new stir plate. I forgot to add my yeast nutrient with my 15 min hop addition [pinched] I am going to decant the starter so i assume i can add nutrient to the water - will boil it for 15mins then cool it before adding to the yeast cake.

Plan is to ferment (prolly 3 weeks) then Lager for 4 weeks. Am tempted to dry-hop with another 15-20g of Motueka for the last week of lagering, but will see what the taste tests indicate.

Here's a pic of my 40L aluminium pot (from Chefland in Richmond for $100) that I've added a ball valve and thermowell to. Cos it's BIAB I knew the thermowell might be a problem but the advantages outweigh the problems. I of course forgot about it and tore a whole in my grain bag when pulling it out [pinched] but the ability to put my temp probe in and have it alarm when it's at strike temp is sweet (didn't hear it this time though [lol])

Whirlpool worked fine and the elbow worked perfectly.

pot_zps699cc60b.jpg

Way to go Adam. [cool]

Nice looking kettle by the way. I need a thermowell now that I've hung up the pillow case.

Did you get the adjustable regulator?

When you say the whirlpool worked fine, do you have a whirlpool attachment with a pump, or do you just mean whirling with a spoon?

As for volumes, it took me several brews before I had mine sorted out. It still varies even now depending on the amount of hops used.

Did you get the adjustable regulator? nah, the basic one seems to give me enough grunt. Doesn't take long to heat at all. Got a nice blue flame going on all the rings.

When you say the whirlpool worked fine, do you have a whirlpool attachment with a pump, or do you just mean whirling with a spoon? Stirred with a spoon - didn't require that much of a stir really. Had a nice big pile of gunk in the middle of the pot.

I did find a burner that may be better. Keg King now sell one and a pretty good price. They brought them in 2 weeks after i got my setup [annoyed] But it works great anyway.

Do you raise yours up somehow, or just leave it on the ground? I might get some heat-proof bricks to get a bit higher off the ground just to make it easier on my back

I bought 4 cinder blocks from Bunnings and lay them long ways and two high. I sit my burner stand on them and it lifts them a fair bit off the ground.

Sounds good Hairy. Much easier than changing jobs so i have someone at work who can make me a table covered in sheet metal [joyful]

OG was 1.046 - 2 points off what I was aiming for

Hi AdamH.

Plan is to ferment (prolly 3 weeks) then Lager for 4 weeks. Am tempted to dry-hop with another 15-20g of Motueka for the last week of lagering' date=' but will see what the taste tests indicate.[/quote']

I would perhaps think twice about dry hopping your pilsner. As a general rule of thumb it is not recommended to dry hop lagers or pilsner style beers. It can take over the nice balance of a lager/pilsner flavour & stuff it up.

If you would like to add a different spin of flavour/aroma, best to use the addition late in the boil or as the flameout addition where the "grassy" like characters won't surface like they would through dry hopping.

Motueka (B Saaz) has a 1/3 Saaz parentage. Saaz is almost always pointed out in posts by brewers as a hop to definitely NOT use for dry hopping. In an IPA this grassy like taste is almost a wanted & expected thing, but in a pilsner it's not something the drinker would be expecting or wanting I would suggest.

Good luck with the brew. [smile]

Anthony.

I have dry hopped Ales with Motueka plenty of time and I love it [love]

I think a small Motueka dry hop in a lager might be a nice touch. If you want to do it then give it a go and see how it turns out. It won't be awful.

Hop it up and call it a New World Lager. That seems to be the trend these days.

I had a couple of Vale Lagers recently and found them to be quite nice. Link below:

Vale Lager

I guess the trick is to be subtle with the hops. But for some of us that isn't in our repertoire [biggrin]

I had a couple of Vale Lagers recently and found them to be quite nice. Link below:

Vale Lager

I guess the trick is to be subtle with the hops. But for some of us that isn't in our repertoire [biggrin]

Hang that Hairy

What about that IPA with Galaxy, Nelson and Citra [cool]

I'm gunna have a look for that one.

The Vale IPA is a great drop. Although I had a couple of slightly infected bottles recently; had a vinegary taste to it. Those ones weren't so great [crying]

Wow, that sucks. I drink the Vale IPA fairly often, and it always tastes great. It's not a ball breaker like most AIPAs, and I think that's a good thing. [love]

Vale Lager

The Vale lager is the replacement for their failed Vale Dry. The Dry was a full bodied dry lager style beer. It's main difference to other dry style beers on the market today is that it wasn't 'Low Carb'.

I actually liked their thought process behind that beer, but it never took off for the market it was intended to attract, thus it was pulled, & is no longer brewed.

Again I like what they are trying to do with the Vale Lager, and agree with Hairy that it is a pleasant beer to drink, but I feel it too, will fall away.

It's just not a "Grab ya & pull ya in" type of beer.

Hey, I've only been in the liquor industry for 14yrs. WTH would I know. [bandit]

Anthony.

i think my yeast is dead [crying]

Going to chuck in 15g of W-34/70 in the hope of saving it.

I think there was a few issues with the yeast.

1. Both packs were from 23/4/2013 - quite old, perhaps too old for a lager yeast

2. I maybe needed longer time in starter phase - although if it was too old it may not have mattered anyway

So, while I wait I am consoling myself with my first AG brew.

This was the recipe:

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White)

0.20 kg Crystal (Joe White)

10.00 g Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min

10.00 g Topaz [15.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min

10.00 g Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min

10.00 g Topaz [15.30 %] - Boil 20.0 min

10.00 g Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min

10.00 g Topaz [15.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min

10.00 g Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min

10.00 g Topaz [15.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min

1.0 pkg US-05

Approx. 53.4 IBU's, measured 6.6% ABV

Pretty sure I dry hopped that mutha too, but I didn't add that into my notes or recipe - idiot!

It was roughly based on a recipe for one of my fave beers, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but obviously with different hops. The Topaz could maybe do with a lot more in the dry hop from what I've read on it. It's a very drinkable beer, especially as my first AG.

The yeast isn't that old considering you made a starter. It might be a problem if you pitched the packets straight in.

Perhaps you needed to step your starter. Start it off with two packets at 1 litre and step in up in a few steps to 5 litres.

Did your starter seem to work ok?

BTW, your IPA looks pretty nice.

Perhaps you needed to step your starter. Start it off with two packets at 1 litre and step in up in a few steps to 5 litres.

Did your starter seem to work ok?

Now that I think of it, the "liquid" I decanted off the yeast cake was quite sweet - so perhaps it didn't work at all. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. It was on the stir plate for 3 days. When I've done starter just with intermittent shaking they were done in 2 - but they were ale yeasts [pinched]

The starter liquid would probably taste sweet anyway unless you hopped it. Or do you mean more that' date=' you always taste them and this one was sweeter than they normally are? [/quote']

No I've never tasted it before, i just thought i'd taste to see if it tasted like shite.

Maybe there just isn't enough, and with the W-34/70 added it will kick into life [crying]

Archived