Coopers Community

Commercial Clones

ash

Hi Brewmasters,I'am sure their is a thread on here somewhere about Commercial Clones you have made.If so move this if not leave.I thought it would be interesting to read about a clone brew you have made & check out the recipie.I'am sure we have all done this @ some time or another.Looking forward to see what you made & what you where trying to make.

Cheers & Beers

Dave

Hey Dave, why is your screen name Ash?

The only beers I have ever tried to clone were Old Peculier and Coopers Sparkling.

The Old Peculier clone was delicious, but not really like the original.

The CSA clone was just bottled two days ago, but the hydro sample was bloody nice.

They were both all grain recipes, but I can post them if you want.

I tried to make a couple of clones with kits and extracts but struggled to get close. Very nice beers but not a clone.

I have done a couple recently. A Hoppy Hefe clone (link below):

Hoppy Hefe

And I made a Murray's Angry Man clone which was a very, very nice beer. And I think fairly close to the commercial one. It is an AG recipe though so let me know if you want me to post the recipe.

The CSA clone was just bottled two days ago, but the hydro sample was bloody nice.

Phil,

I've been searching for that thread about your CSA clone. I couldn't find it[pinched] .

I just put down a cooper's yeast culture. I'd love to hear your recipe![biggrin]

Phil,

I've been searching for that thread about your CSA clone. I couldn't find it[pinched] .

I just put down a cooper's yeast culture. I'd love to hear your recipe![biggrin]

Link below:

Sparkling Ale Clone

Any standout recipes you could share' date=' Ruddy?[/quote']

I've only done the one so far and it was a wheat beer. In my opinion it came out very nicely (I was describing it as good, solid, standard wheat beer) but there are two problems with that in that (1) my opinion isn't well educated or experienced when it comes to wheat beers and (2) my opinion is biased and thinks that everything I make is the greatest beer ever.

From memory, the recipe was along the lines of ...

Black Rock Whispering Wheat kit

~1kg Wheat DME

~200g Caramunich

~15g Tettnang ~@5 mins

Safwheat yeast

I'll look it up again when I get home and correct it why not. I remember that with the grains the recipe called for one thing and they were out so I had to go with the caramunich instead, but it worked.

I did have a go at making, or trying to make, a clone of James Squire Amber Ale a few times but never really got close and wasn't too keen on the beers either so I won't bother posting any of the recipes.

I did recently brew an English ale that reminded me of Burleigh Brewing's 'My Wife's Bitter', and an American pale ale that is seemingly somewhere in between a Sierra Nevada Pale ale and Torpedo. [lol]

The only recipe I have cloned/copied was an award winning Salmon springs IPA extract type

FERMENTABLES/MALTS

3kg of light LME

250g of crystal malt grain, 10L

250g of aromatic malt

250g of carapils

HOPS

10g of centennial pellets 60 mins

25g of centennial pellets 20 mins

25g of centennial pellets 5 mins

15g of centennial pellets dry hop fv day 3

YEAST

wyeast 1056 American ale

O.G: 1.051

F.G: 1.008

[love]

Hey Dave, why is your screen name Ash?

The only beers I have ever tried to clone were Old Peculier and Coopers Sparkling.

The Old Peculier clone was delicious, but not really like the original.

They were both all grain recipes, but I can post them if you want.

I tried to get a Dave but their is so many on here, by the time I got one with Dave in it is was Davev356-p812 & that seemed a little long so I wen,t for Ash

I have a book of commercial clones that are pretty much all kit based. I still don't mind doing an easy kit brew here or there so it's pretty handy. Next up' date=' Stella.[/quote']

Let us know how the Stella goes

Distilled water is the key to making a good stella according to the guys on brewboard.com,they have both AG and extract versions listed. I will try a commercial bottle tomorrow and see if its worth cloning it myself[happy]

You need to find that special ingredient in Stella. The one that, after a few of them, hits you in the face like a punch from Mike Tyson.

Maybe it was just me but Stella had a bigger alcohol affect on me than other beers.

Stella recipe - I'll have to remember to grab my book and check but it's not much more complicated that some particular kit with pre-mixed Brewcraft sugar and non-kit yeast.

I think there are far better European lagers out there myself' date=' though I will drink it if there's nothing much else on offer. [/quote']

Squiddier?

Squiddier?

[lol]

Well I would say yes, but I'm probably biased because I brewed it. It's a different style to Stella anyway being a Munich Helles. I'm happy to report the second one was squid free and was bottled yesterday so looking forward to trying it and comparing to the first version.

I have a book of commercial clones that are pretty much all kit based. I still don't mind doing an easy kit brew here or there so it's pretty handy. Next up' date=' Stella.[/quote']

What's the name of the book Ruddy

You need to find that special ingredient in Stella. The one that, after a few of them, hits you in the face like a punch from Mike Tyson.

Maybe it was just me but Stella had a bigger alcohol affect on me than other beers.

Hairy

It's not just you!

Okie dokie, Stella apparently:

Munton's Premium Pilsner

Brewcraft #62 Czech Pilsner Kit Converter

500g wheat DME

Saflager yeast

22L (I'll make at least 23 to reduce ABV)

OG 1.050

FG 1.012

ABV 5.8%

Thanks RUDDY,Will try it.

Made a Yak which my megga swiller friends enjoy.Just a Can & Kilo

Morgans Blue Mountain Lager.

500 malt,250 dex,250 corn

Por + Cascade tea bags.

After talking to our old friend @ HOP DEALZ (guest)when I was chasing POR suggested that POR is doing nothing for the recipie so go with Centennial & Cascade,so that is what i'am going to do.The ( guest ) knows his Hops.[lol] [lol]

Archived