Coopers Community

AG Sparkling Ale Clone

Don't know how many of you realise this, but I [love] the commercial Coopers Sparkling Ale. I don't bang on about it much, but I have loved this beer since my early 20s and still love it when I find it on tap around the place.

Anyway, since I started all grain brewing I've mad a lot of fancy beers with loads of hops and specialty grains, but this weekend I'm gonna have a go at cranking out a batch of Sparkling.

There's a bit on AHB about it, but I'm sort of hoping Paul might jump in and give me a few pointers. [wink]

I don't have any POR, but I have Super Pride, hoping it will sub okay.

I wasn't planning to use simple sugar, but I will if it will help me get the same kind of attenuation the real deal gets.

Here we go:

Grain bill (to 1.056 OG)

92% BB Ale Malt

6% Wheat (I have no idea if this is in the real deal)

2% Crystal 40

I was gonna do a single infusion at 65c (maybe 64?)

Then give it a decent whack (35IBU) of Super Pride and ferment with WLP009 - Australian Ale yeast.

Does this sound like it would be close at all?

I enjoy the sparkling ale too, Phil.

Your recipe looks like a nice beer. A few of the AG recipes I have seen calls for some candi sugar but perhaps PB2 can comment on that.

What temp will you ferment at?

Our Sparkling Ale is looking very likely to become the benchmark for a beer style - "Australian Pale Ale" [biggrin]

So to make it as per the beer style, try the Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale kit. [tongue]

If I were looking to "all-grain" brew something like this iconic brand, I would start with the yeast - it's all about the yeast. This beer can throw pear esters and banana from time-to-time.

Bitterness should be in the high 20's but 35 is not unreasonable.

Will think about the grain bill and get back to you.[whistling

Grain bill looks good as does the mash temperature.

Why would you be buying the liquid yeast though? Why not buy the freshest CSA you can find and reculture some yeast from that?

Also I'm not sure what the FG of commercial CSA is, but it does seem to have a pretty dry finish. Could be they use some sugar in it to achieve this?

These days, Sparkling Ale is an all malt brew (apart from sugar used for priming).

Back in the day, when I was first introduced to CSA[love] , the recipe contained simple sugar. Working from this memory, I plugged in some numbers - %s may be slightly different because of the white sugar addition.

23 litre brew:

Mash

4.8kg Ale Malt

480g Wheat Malt

48g Dark Crystal

Mash @ 65C

Boil

200g White Sugar

35g PoR pellets (whole boil)

Boil 90mins

Ferment

Coopers Commercial Culture or WLP009 (this may be a multi-strain culture, dunno??) @ 18C to 20C (I think a higher ferment temp is more likely to throw the esters you want but this also depends on pitching rate).

After priming, it should yield about 5.8%ABV, SG about 1008, Colour 12EBC and Bitterness in the high 20s to low 30s [biggrin]

Hey Guys,

Great topic! I also love Coop's SA. I'm swilling one as I type in fact.[cool]

I'd love to give this a go as well. I have the ingredients save the PoR. How does Chinook sound as a substitute?

The hop is only used for bittering in a 90 minute boil so whatever decent, neutralish bittering hop you use shouldn't change the profile significantly.

What about Northern Brewer (the hop, not the shop)?

Why would you be buying the liquid yeast though? Why not buy the freshest CSA you can find and reculture some yeast from that?

Because I just decided to make it on a whim this weekend, not enough time to sit them upright in the fridge for a few days, reactivate, make starter & pitch.

Many, many thanks Paul. I'll definitely be making this. [happy]

Here's a recipe I have on file...it is extract but all grain options are at the end. I have given credit to BYO magazine as I assume that is where I got it from....naturally a recultured yeast would be better than what they suggest.

Coopers Sparkling Ale Clone (BYO)

(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)

OG = 1.058

FG = 1.0012

IBU = 25 SRM = 10

ABV = 5.6%

Ingredients

2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) Coopers Light dried

malt extract

3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) Coopers Light liquid

malt extract (late addition)

1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) 2-row pale malt

0.50 lb. (0.23 kg) crystal malt (60 \xb0L)

1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) cane sugar

4.5 AAUs Pride of Ringwood hops

(60 mins)

(0.47 oz./13 g at 9.5% alpha acid)

(15 mins)

(0.47 oz./13 g at 9.5% alpha acid)

(0 mins)

(0.47 oz./13 g of 9.5% alpha acid)

1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)

Coopers dried yeast (2 packages)

1 cup corn sugar (to prime)

Step by Step

Place crushed malts in a nylon steeping bag and steep In 3.0 qts. (2.8 L) of water at 150 \xb0F (66 \xb0C) for 30 minutes. Rinse grains with L5 qts. (-1.5 L) of water at 170 \xb0F (77 \xb0C). Add water to make 3 gallons (11 L), stir in dried malt extract and bring to a boil.

Boil for 60 minutes total, adding hops at times indicated in ingredient list. Add the liquid malt extract and Irish moss with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Cool wort by submerging brewpot in sink, with the lid on, until the side of the brewpot no longer feels warm. Transfer wort to fermenter and top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with cool water. Aerate wort and pitch yeast. Ferment at 65 \xb0F (18 \xb0C) until complete (about 7 to 10 days), then transfer to a secondary vessel or rack into bottles or keg with corn sugar.

All-grain version:

Omit extract and mash 9.75 lbs (4.4 kg) two-row pale malt (Coopers uses malt made from Schooner barley) with crystal malt in 13 qts. (12 L) of water to get a single-infusion mash temperature of 150 \xb0F (66 \xb0C) for 45 minutes. Sparge with hot water (170\xb0F/77 \xb0C or more) and collect 5.5 gallons (21 L) of wort. Add 1.0 gallon (3.8 L) of water and boil for 90 minutes and use the above hopping and fermentation schedule.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done 3 CSA kit brews to recipe sort of.

the first was done sight unseen as a test.

the second was done a couple of months later without tasting the first brew.

after I started drinking the first batch I swore to god not to do again.

it was eating the soles of my boots while you were drinking it

simply wicked in strength.

I tipped a dozen tallies in the garden.

then I tried the second batch it was bloody good.

it's all gone.

the third batch is in bottles for a month and will stay there for atleast 3.

dunno what I did to the first batch but it was rocket fuel.

ive got the stuff for a 4th batch as its so bloody good to drink

my2cents

ken

I've done 3 CSA kit brews to recipe sort of.

the first was done sight unseen as a test.

the second was done a couple of months later without tasting the first brew.

after I started drinking the first batch I swore to god not to do again.

it was eating the soles of my boots while you were drinking it

simply wicked in strength.

I tipped a dozen tallies in the garden.

then I tried the second batch it was bloody good.

it's all gone.

the third batch is in bottles for a month and will stay there for atleast 3.

dunno what I did to the first batch but it was rocket fuel.

ive got the stuff for a 4th batch as its so bloody good to drink

my2cents

ken

i'am the other way put my 1 down & thought this is the boom i'll have too do this again,so I put down 2 ,don't know what happened to those 2 but I throw them out after trying & trying to drink them.But after these comments by other people I might try another.Has PB2 taken the recipie off How to Brew because I can't find it now.( just found it )

Looking forward to giving PB2'S recipe a crack, CSA is the beer I predominantly drank in between my home brewing efforts, and the beer I attribute to my 380 bottle count.

It will be my first opportunity to give my new stir plate a run with some genuine Coopers re-cultured commercial yeast!

I am looking forward to this, f**k yeahhh!!![biggrin] [cool]

Cheers Paul, and Phil for asking.[joyful]

Yep, when you walk into your local and your beer is sitting on the bar before you get there. I guess I am in the same boat, its a fair contribution![devil]

Cheers boys, it will unfortunately be about five weeks before I brew this though, I recently created four recipes and ordered them.

I really need to get a mill and order bulk grain.[pinched]

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheers for the reply I will try the recipe out as PB2 stated to begin with and will tweak the bittering with side by side comparisons with the real deal. I must admit this has been one of my favorite commercial brews from my younger days to now only mowing through a carton the other weekend haha as I was sinking a few CSA's last weekend I thought to myself this is what I want to do as my first AG batch. Thanks for the feedback will let you know how I go looking forward to my new AG endevour. Cheers

Archived