Coopers Community

Pale Ale - cascade & galaxy

DaveH21

Hi Guys

I'm going to put this in tonight.

1 x Coopers Pale Ale Tin

1kg Light Dry Malt

500g BE 2 (sorry BE2 is all I've got at the moment)

40 min 20g Cascade

30 min 20g Galaxy

15 min 10g each of Cascade & Galaxy

US-05 Ale Yeast pitched at 24 degrees - quickly dropping to 19 degrees

15g each of cascade & galaxy dry hopped at 3 days.

A fairly simple brew but one I have high hopes for [innocent]

Hi Guys

I'm going to put this in tonight.

1 x Coopers Pale Ale Tin

1kg Light Dry Malt

500g BE 2 (sorry BE2 is all I've got at the moment)

40 min 20g Cascade

30 min 20g Galaxy

15 min 10g each of Cascade & Galaxy

US-05 Ale Yeast pitched at 24 degrees - quickly dropping to 19 degrees

15g each of cascade & galaxy dry hopped at 3 days.

A fairly simple brew but one I have high hopes for [innocent]

Hey Dave21

What are you after from the hops. IMO the 40 min boil of Cascade and 30 min for Galaxy is not necessary when using a kit base. I made a really good LCPA look a like by starting my boils at 15 minutes. You might consider going with the Cascade at 15 and the Galaxy at 12. Can you get some more hops, if so put another 10 of each in around 5-7 minutes. Then on day 5 or 6 dry hop with another 15g of Cascade.

Even if you can't get any more hops today I would still look at 15-minute boils as a max.

BTW I did a similar brew to yours using unhopped malt extract. I started my hop addition at 40 minutes with 30g of Cascade and then 15g of Galaxy at 30 minutes. I added more of each at 15 min and 7 min and I dry hooped with 20g of Cascade. It came out at 28 IBU, the one I've suggest above for you 40g of hop at 15 mins with the Pale Ale kit comes in the mid to hi 30s. Your original is mid to hi 40s which is OK for an APA but I don't think you will get maximum flavour benefit from the hops.

I'm after some more bitterness than just the can, and I'm looking for a bit more flavour from these hops. Plus I want the nose from the dry hops.

So maybe 20 mins you think Scottie - e.g the same as above but 20 mins, 10 mins 5 mins instead of 40,30,15?

I'm after some more bitterness than just the can, and I'm looking for a bit more flavour from these hops. Plus I want the nose from the dry hops.

So maybe 20 mins you think Scottie - e.g the same as above but 20 mins, 10 mins 5 mins instead of 40,30,15?

Dave

I reckon that will be a great beer, but as Hairy (Young Einstein or Yahoo Serious [unsure]) has been rightly saying bitterness is very subjective and an individual thing.

Personally I believe that when using Coopers kits grab a can that suits your desired bitterness and just late hop it, i.e. from 20 minutes down.

If you are keen on a bitterer brew then grab the Coopers IPA, if you haven't already, and trick that one up with some late hops [love]

EDIT: Sorry Dave I should remember what I have read and where I have posted. Good luck with the Galaxy Slam IPA.

hey scottie, if you want to do a 20 minute hop boil, do you wait for the water to boil before adding hops, or add hops to the water and start timing once the water is boiling. Does either of the two methods make a difference, or are the results the same?

hey scottie' date=' if you want to do a 20 minute hop boil, do you wait for the water to boil before adding hops, or add hops to the water and start timing once the water is boiling. Does either of the two methods make a difference, or are the results the same?[/quote']

The results would be different for sure Nick, as the hops would be at isomerisation temps well before the water began to boil.

hey scottie' date=' if you want to do a 20 minute hop boil, do you wait for the water to boil before adding hops, or add hops to the water and start timing once the water is boiling. Does either of the two methods make a difference, or are the results the same?[/quote']

Hey Nick

Being pedantic I always wait for the wort to come to the boil before adding the hops and setting the timer.

OK - here's what ended up happening.

I brought 2.5 litres to the boil mixed with 250g BE2

@20mins - Galaxy 20g

@15mins - Cascade 20g

@5mins - Cascade 15g+Galaxy 15g

@0mins - Cascade5g+Galaxy 5g

Steep 10 mins

Above liquid strained through brand new chux + sieve

1kg Light Dry Malt

250g BE2

1 x Coopers Pale Ale Tin

US-05 pitched at 25 degrees

FV will be 18-19 degrees within 6 hours.

OG = 1.047

Plan to dry hop with 15g of each Cascade/Galaxy around day 4

Thanks guys [lol] - we'll see how it goes...

Appreciate your well wishes - thanks Scottie, I appreciate that mate - this Coopers site is full of top notch blokes.

By the way, my 2 teenage daughters arrived home, within about 10 mins of each other, about 5 mins after I finished it in the FV.

As each one walked in the door, they both exclaimed "WHAT - IS - THAT - - - - SMELL?"

[devil]

By the way, my 2 teenage daughters arrived home, within about 10 mins of each other, about 5 mins after I finished it in the FV.

As each one walked in the door, they both exclaimed "WHAT - IS - THAT - - - - SMELL?"[devil]

[lol]

Dave

I used to get that from my two teenage daughters, but know thath they know what it is I get "Mum Dad's cooking hops again".

24 hours in.....

The US-05 is doing it's usual thing, making a giant pavlova.

But the smell thru the glad wrap pin-pick is divine. All those Cascade & Galaxy notes are there, and I haven't even dry hopped yet.

This one could turn out OK [love]

Thanks Reuben[smile]

The aromas coming off this brew are just fantastic.

Funny thing is I just did the Thomas Coopers IPA with US-05 and had this massive krausen at 19 degrees.

This one is brewing at 18 degrees with US-05 and is bubbling so ferociously that only a 1 cm krausen has formed.

Apart from the kit, the only other difference is 0.5kg of BE2.

Gotta love brewing - never ceases to intrigue me [w00t]

This one is almost ready to bottle. In the last 3 days it has moved from 1.012 to 1.011 and the brew is clearing/settling.

I tasted the hydrometer sample - this one is looking the "Duck's Guts"

Can't wait to taste this [love]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks KR[crying] [lol] I'm happy to say in my latest batch which I put in the FV and pitched the yeast into on Wednesday that there are no alien squids floating around in it this time. Going by the smell of the starters in both cases, I think the lager one got infected. This one just smelled like yeast, whereas the lager one had a vinegary type odor to it. [pinched]

Archived