Coopers Community

The Coopers O.S. Lager Kit Challenge!

Hello ALL forum members.

I've been thinking about this on a personal level for some time, & then thought, "Why not pose this to the guys on the forum?".

The Coopers Original Series Lager kit tin cops way too much undeserved bad press IMHO. Most of it comes from first time home brewers who through no fault of their own, simply brew outside guidelines, make mistakes, create contamination etc...etc. & then wonder why their brew doesn't taste as they expected.

I think it's well past time that someone stuck up for this Coopers kit tin, & put forward a brew of quality that uses this kit tin as it's base.

I challenge EVERYONE on this forum, newish brewer to extract brewer, to advanced all grain brewer to come up with a recipe (in theory) using this kit tin as its base. Barring the kit, you can do anything to it. Hops, malts, grains, yeasts, brewing temperatures....whatever you like.

For those interested in this challenge, post your recipe in this thread, & at the end of January 2013, I'll collate them into a new thread & WE AS A GROUP will collectively vote on them. We'll take votes over the following month, & the recipe that gains the most votes, I promise to do my best to brew, as I would hope many of those that have shown interest in the idea will also do. [cool]

I personally would like to show what is capable from this entry level kit tin, & disprove many of the myths about it.

We all support Coopers via the forum & in some respects, by buying their commercial products. What about paying the ultimate respect as home-brewers by lifting the profile of the Coopers DIY kit tin?

Get behind it, infront of it, through it, around it, over it, under it.

But most of all, GET INTO IT!! You know you want to! [biggrin]

I'll be monitoring this thread, & once a consensus has been reached on the winning recipe & it has been brewed & tested, I will recommend to PB2 that it be added into the "How To Brew" section of the Coopers website!

Of course the addition into the "How to Brew" section is completely subject to PB2's approval. [innocent]

Anthony.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than a theoretical recipe, this is one that I made some time ago. It ended up a nice summer drinking ale; fruity with little bitterness. I had the lager can when I bought the new DIY kit so had to do something with it. I wanted something simple and quick to put down.

1.7kg Coopers Lager kit

500g Light Dry Malt

500g Dry Wheat Malt

200g Dextrose

250g Caramalt

20g Galaxy hops - steeped

15g Galaxy hops - dry hopped

US-05 yeast

23 litres

Ferment at 18 degrees

I will try to come up with a theoretical recipe now. Perhaps use the kit as a base for an imperial stout so you won't taste it as much [devil]

BTW, Coopers should make dry wheat malt [rightful]

I've made many good beers with the "lager" kit in the past. Do I get a medal or certificate? As challenges go this one is easy.

[rightful] I don't want to to much of a killjoy for the schoolyard activities but I have to say it is poor form to post "theoretical" recipes. Recipes should be tried and tested and the beer suitably aged before being posted for public consumption. (moan over [innocent] )

Hey Lusty, i like some of the threads you start and i reckon most of the Derro's here do as well judging by the responses you get. with regards to this one, i am not sure how much i will contribute as i quite like the OS lager. the first of my brews was lager as it was included with the kit. i brewed it in september when ambient was around 18 deg and it was a nice drop (maybe i had my new brewers beer goggs on?) when i did it again last month it tasted like cats piss in comparison. the only difference was that ambient in my laundry was 27 deg. hence i now have a STC1000.

with regards to tricking up kits that have a bad rep, i grabbed a Tooheys special lager from Woolies as they were almost giving them away.There were a few not so kind comments about it on the forum so i brewed it with some BE1 and dryhopped with a f**kload of Cascade. i have now made it twice since and find it very nice.

with regards to the OS lager, i reckon temp control and a lager yeast is all it needs, a few additions to suit individual tastes maybe? good luck with this interesting thread and i will keep watching. May even try the most popular recipe

I will try to come up with a theoretical recipe now. Perhaps use the kit as a base for an imperial stout so you won't taste it as much

That's the spirit Hairy. I think that's a stout idea! [biggrin]

I've made many good beers with the "lager" kit in the past. Do I get a medal or certificate? As challenges go this one is easy.

I can't guarantee a medal or a certificate, but I'll try my best to get the winning recipe & maybe even the brewers name up in lights in the "How To Brew" section. As mentioned earlier, that will be subject to PB2's evaluation though. [cool]

Since you have already "made many good beers with the lager kit in the past", should we install you as one of the favourites to take out this fun challenge Muddy? [wink]

I don't want this to be a half-cocked challenge. If we start the process now, & after the voting stage an ale or lager wins, with correct aging we probably wouldn't be drinking it until June/July next year, & if a dark beer like a stout wins, it probably won't be ready for drinking scrutiny until say September/October next year.

I just wanted to get the idea up & rolling & see what you guys thought collectively.

I think it would be great of us to collectively vote on & brew the same beer & then be able to critique it together collectively once it has aged & we can drink it. On top of that to praise a winning recipe & perhaps see his/her recipe up in lights in the "How To Brew" section would be pretty cool don't you think? [cool]

Nick, I hope you join in on the process. At the end of the day it's all about having some fun with our brewing & collectively being involved with our fellow members on the forum. Don't be shy about posting up a recipe. [happy]

Plenty of time to get thinking of one. Cut-off date is end of January.

Anthony.

Since you have already "made many good beers with the lager kit in the past"' date=' should we install you as one of the favourites to take out this fun challenge Muddy? [wink']

You could I guess but I wont be partaking in the challenge as "fun" as you promise it to be. I'll check back in a few months and see how it all went. Enjoy [cool]

Lol thats the spirit muddy sorry had to do some advertising as my job relies on healthy eaters [lol]

As for hair line receeding havent you heard of smearing peanut butter on your head and covering it with Aluminium foil as you go about your day?

As for grumpyness and massage parlor can help that [biggrin]

As for hair line receeding havent you heard of smearing peanut butter on your head and covering it with Aluminium foil as you go about your day?

I thought that remedy was to get chewing gum out?

As for grumpyness and massage parlor can help that [biggrin]

Hmmm...we are probably going to head to Thailand in a couple of days [biggrin]....but there aren't any massage parlours where we'll be heading [rightful]

Here's a simple one.

1.7kg OS Lager

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt

25g Willamette hop pellets - steeped

Kit yeast

20g Willamette hop pellets - dry hopped on day 4

Made to 23 litres.

Brewed at 18 deg.

Unfortunately this will be a long way from a winner here but is a winner with the guys I drink with, & very simple to make.

Thanks for submitting a recipe GregT5. [happy]

Unfortunately this will be a long way from a winner here..

Don't be at all surprised if it does end up the winner GregT5. I don't want this challenge to be about who can create the most complex brew necessarily. I would just hope by the voting stage that all level of brewers have a variety of different brews put forward & that members of the forum have something that they are very interested to see brewed & vote for it.

As for the "Receding Hair Bear Bunch" above that likes to smear peanut butter all over themselves, let's hope a recipe comes out of that little beauty salon somewhere down the track! [lol] [tongue] [biggrin]

I look forward to further entries. [joyful]

Anthony.

Oi!

You "Receding Hair Bear Bunch" blokes, here's a link to move your discussion to... Deal with it hair help!

I've got hair growing in unwanted places just like a number of you guys. I just don't use a brewing forum to air my concerns. [pinched]

It's funny stuff, but please move the "Receding Hair Bear Bunch" stuff to another thread. [lol]

Perhaps start a new topic on it in "Everything Else"?

Anthony.

Oh Anthony

Here you go again [roll]

Acting like the forum [rightful]

With that righteous attitude [biggrin]

You know this is the way this forum works lots of tangents, humour and great advice.

If you want strict rules about posting then you should join AHB, seriously [pinched] .

This forum is the Coopers' family house and its OK to discuss your receding hairline while downing a few beers or formulating a recipe [alien]

Here you go

Make Do Ale (15/11/2011)

Coopers Lager Can

1kg Coopers Light Malt Extract

250g Light Dry Malt

250g Medium Crystal (120EBC)

250g Dextrose

25g Nelson Sauvin @ 8 minutes

15g Amarillo @ 5 minutes

It was really good and didn't last long. I have another brew that is 10 weeks bottled. One is chilling o'night and I might taste it tomorrow.

PS I agree with Muddy, I could throw in a theoretical recipe such as a Bushy Park Abbey Ale but it won't mean anything until its down and tasted.

BTW before PB2 joined Coopers he used the Lager kit as his base for many brews, I just hope that he joins this thread and shares some of his wisdom.

PS I have got this Jock Itch thing goin' on at the minute, feel free to jump on this thread with any suggestions.

Oh Anthony

Here you go again

Acting like the forum

With that righteous attitude

You know this is the way this forum works lots of tangents, humour and great advice.

If you want strict rules about posting then you should join AHB, seriously.

Sighs. [sad]

Everyone seems to miss certain sentences & LOL's in my posts.

It's funny stuff' date=' but please move the "Receding Hair Bear Bunch" stuff to another thread. [lol']

It is funny stuff, but of all the threads & posts I've made since joining the forum, I didn't want this one to get off topic too much.

I love the humour of the Coopers forum. It's part of what keeps me coming back, & I would never do anything intentionally to quell that in any way.

I just didn't want this particular thread to die an early death because it drifted too far off topic in the early days is all.

Wipe some peanut butter on your head Scottie, I'm sure soon after you see yourself in a mirror you'll see the world & me for that matter in a more positive light after that! Hehehe [biggrin]

This thread is "important" to me. [innocent]

Anthony.

Anthony.

I stayed on topic [unsure], I posted a Lager tin recipe [roll].

I got to the point in a round about way [devil] and purely out of respect for you Lusty.

...and that's why you are one of my favs on the forum. [joyful]

Much respect. [rightful]

Anthony.

Anthony.

I stayed on topic [unsure], I posted a Lager tin recipe [roll].

I got to the point in a round about way [devil] and purely out of respect for you Lusty.

...and that's why you are one of my favs on the forum. [joyful]

Much respect. [rightful]

Anthony.

Lusty, what has that post got to do with Lager recipes?

Stay on topic or I will call in the forum whip [rightful]

Wait a minute, thats you.... What are we going to do? Noooooo, the forum is coming to an end. Damn you, damn you all to hell!!!!!

Now where were we? Oh yeah, lager recipes. So far there are three recipes so I have a 33% chance of taking this thing out. If I add some weighting to the fact that GregT5 and Scottie are generally more popular than me, my odds drop to around 15%.

Can we start the voting process now before there are too many candidates?

I vote for GregT5.

[pinched] That's not going to help me.

Edit: Crap! Muddy joined the race whilst I was typing. He will win for sure with his abstract pseudo-lager recipe [crying]

Archived